Notices

Weekend warriors pain and redemption Weekender 27-29 Jan

Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Count me in. Hopping aboard the weekender train.

Binger, everyday drinker, fair weather drinker, bad weather drinker, new job drinker, got laid off drinker....you get the idea. Anything was an excuse to drink. But, when I did, all bets were off and it was a bender until I passed out.

Thanks for the the thread intro and kickoff Saoutchik.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I wish this was true but I suspect things have still not changed that much, my own kids finished school several years ago and they did not get much education about drugs and alcohol. There seems to be a minority but persistant core of people who believe that giving information about certain subjects encourages children to take them up. The one thing they seemed to do well at my kids school was in teaching them about peer pressure and how to resist it.
My teenage children haven't received much education at all aside from smoking is bad. Which is true but there is so much more information that they need.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

My kids are getting their education from me. They see what I went through. I have been very open about my addiction and my recovery. I have told them to beware, because I do believe it runs in families. I have told them how important it is to find other ways to cope with life's challenges. I have told them my door is always open and that they can talk to me about anything. All of this is more effective (I hope) than a canned message at school that drugs and drinking are bad. They all already know that. I hope my kids are normal, and can drink in moderation. But I have no illusions that this is to be taken for granted. Not many people in my family can do that.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Binge'n on sobriety!! I'm in
Old 01-27-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm a day off this week. ..thought today was Thursday. ..TGIF!!!!!
Yay for the weekend!
Regarding kids...I've pounded the dangers of alcohol into my kids heads. I've told them they have a genetic factor on both sides. I've encouraged them to be healthy and to deal with life on life's terms. They are adults now and so far so good, they don't appear to abuse alcohol. Would have been nice if someone had talked to me about it when I was a teenager. ...but so be it. I made my own choices.
Ok...have a great day everyone!
Old 01-27-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Very in! Awesome posts
Old 01-27-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

My mother was an active alcoholic for the first 16 years of my life, and in recovery for the last 11 of hers and showed me through her actions how bad it was and how much better it could be, my father was and is an active alcoholic for my entire life. I still went down the same path
Old 01-27-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I was a binge drinker at times, but I didn't recognize it at the time. I thought it was normal behavior.
This would be me too, among most white British youth binge drinking is seen as normal. I think there has been a very small improvement in this scenario, where I live in London there are a significant number of people from cultures where getting drunk at the weekend does not figure but it is awfully slow.

Nearly hometime!
Old 01-27-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Saturday morning sober and happy.
Lots of sorting to do. About 5 baskets of clean clothes .. So glad I'm sober.
2 weeks for me today.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Random rant. I use a vape (e-cig) and the tank just randomly stopped working just now. So I went looking for a spare tank and I could only find an old one which already had liquid in. Not sure why I had abandoned it but there it was. I grabbed it, took a puff and realized it was sherry flavor (from xmas) :/ It doesn't have alcohol in it but it sure tastes like the real thing. Feel a bit disturbed right now. Not craving just have a grimy guilty feeling. Will be glad when I can dump this vice as well!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Ok...I am done with work for the day and this ends the business part of my trip. Packing up, heading out.

Things are good with me. Peaceful. Nice. I'll be back online when I can, Saturday sometime, probably. Take care and stay strong!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope you are feeling a bit better by now JDM.

Take care Bees

I actually managed a rare share of victory at Crazy Golf tonight (with two others) That doesn't happen very often. Being late may have helped as the others got there early and waited at the bar so by the time we had completed the round it was beginning to affect their play. Perhaps I'll turn up late every week.

This is where I play, taken at about 8:30 pm this evening. As long as I stay clear of the bars it is no problem for me to be there. It is a good way to socialize with Normie's ie those who drink but not too much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170127_202140.jpg (37.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey All ,
ticking along here .. with the phone being broken i've not been checking my bank ballance so compulsively .. not checking it seems to make me a more careful spender as i put spending off because i don't know my exact ballance.

whaddya know if you differ and delay the compulsion to buy something , it passes and you often end up forgeting about the thing you wanted.

Is it possible ive had addictive behaviour in relation to my spending ? maybe i need to back off it a bit , set my budget and not check things so often ..

I also cut up my credit card a few weeks ago after clearing the ballance just after christmas, i appear to be surviving

All progress in trying to live sober and free, trying to be my own best parent/advocate .

Bestwishes, m
Old 01-27-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Count me in Weekenders!!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

That sounds excellent, Mecanix!

Congratulations on the sweet, sweet smell of victory, Sao!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

SoberandHealthy - are you out there?

D
Old 01-27-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I am at my parents now and hoping for a quiet weekend. But I can't stop thinking about work for several reasons. I have developed a bad habit of taking work home with me...that is in my head and not actual paperwork.
My consultant said to me today that I am not booking in enough day cases. inpatients might not get in as they have to stay over night and with the current bed crisis there is no guarantee. Day cases will always get in however as they are guaranteed one of the 'chairs". The problem is that I have gone through his waiting lists several times and he does not have many day cases left. The ones that are left I am aware of but I have not been able to give them a date for one reason or another.
So I cannot manufacture cases out of thin air and they are crying out upstairs that all this theatre time is going to waste.
I have two free slots left nest week. I am hoping that a few people might come to the clinic next week with broken noses or something and I could fill the slots that way.
I am hoping people will have accidents now...I am a terrible person
On an interesting note someone had left some notes to be filed from the ED on my desk. The amount of times I have seen written "fractured nasal bones due to alcohol on board" is frightening.

Today I was so hacked off that I told my friend i want to take some time off. When we are booking holidays we write in marker on the planner which is taped to the back of the door. I have 2 weeks of leave to use by the end of March so she handed me the marker and said "go for it".
I pencilled in my day off on 6th February. They were laughing and saying "wow you are really pushing the boat out". So I also marked the week 20th - 24th March. Taking into account that we will have a public holiday for Paddy's Day on 17th March plus that weekend, I will have 10 days of glorious freedom!!

So what will I do? I'll have fun thinking about it anyway

I told my dad maybe I will go to Dublin for a night or two and do some shopping. He said "yeah sounds good. Your sister can give you advice about a hotel".

I can live my life how I want now and I don't feel like I have to ask "permission" any more. Not being a slave to the bottle any more has brought me freedom I could never have dreamed of.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

In
Old 01-27-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Saturday . 1326- weather, warm. Hmm- was going to do a cheap detective novel rant about sobriety, but I got nuthin'. Keeping my head down, going to a men's AA. Not much different than most other meetings- except is says mens before it. All the other loonies are quiet today. I(respectfully) cannot help thinking of nocturnal insects. They hide in dark places in the day. Come nightfall they energy up- race around frantically, eating, shouting, doing the naughty- until they are exhausted, then retire to their sanctuaries until the next night. Stay sober all.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:49 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 weeks, Trees. I hope you can keep it going and continue to feel better every day.
Mecanix, it's so wise to cut up the credit cards. I paid mine off today so I'm broke again. I don't like credit cards.
Ok....just checking in before I go to sleep.
Good night!