I'm in - great post saoutchik
Old 01-26-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm in. Thanks, Sao!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
Oops don't get me started today lol I'm still reeling after watching some pretty hard hitting recovery docus these last few days. So sign me up for a sober weekend and I'll sit down, drink tea and shut up
Ha Ha! no need to shut up JDM. We had next to no education about alcohol at school and hardly anything about drugs either apart from being told not to take them. I get the impression that things have not changed much. Schools and authorities in general seem to be afraid to give information in case some patents object

Payday today which comes as a relief as December's salary was paid to us about 10 days earlier than usual to cover Christmas.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Nice opener Sao! I was a binge drinker from the very first sip.

Like you, I managed to limit it to weekends for a very short while but the beast had a mind of its own and soon it took over my life. As for the complete and utter destruction of my marriage...I used to believe that the alcohol gave me the courage to end a really bad relationship. Now I know that the problems we had could've been sorted through (more than likely). I just wanted to be free from all restraints to drink and use as much as I wanted, when I wanted. What a sucker I was for all the lies alcohol fed me.

I think about my past a lot...not obsessing over it....just enough to remember that I never want to live like that again! I never want to be in the clutches of addiction again! I never want to obsess over my next drink again! And I won't! Im in charge of my life now and I'll never go back to that hell.
Xoxo
Old 01-26-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm in. Xx
Old 01-26-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm in and thank you Sao. In the end, I was a nightly drinker. No binge for me. I'd even forgotten the days when I was a binge drinker as they were so long ago. I used to just call it going out on the weekends with friends but in hindsight I see how unhealthy my drinking choices were.

I called in sick to work today. When I got out of bed I felt off balance and slightly nauseous. I dozed on the couch for a bit and feel better but guilty because I didn't go to work.

Olive, I like what you said.

STDragon, you perfectly described the weekend for me. Too much to do and not enough time in the day to do what I want to do once all the other stuff is out of the way. I am still working on finding a happy balance. It must exist but I don't know about it yet.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

you were feeling ill Ruby - I reckon that's what sick days are for

D
Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope you feel better soon Ruby and no need to feel guilty, you are not one to swing the lead.

Petals, I hope you got your tech issues sorted out
Old 01-26-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm not feeling well tonight.
I don't get paid half enough for all the stuff I have to put up with at work. Being shouted at on the phone and everything. Anyway...
I went to an aftercare meeting this evening. I had skipped the last one and I know our therapist likes to see me. Out of about 18 people 3 had drank over Christmas. Two of them said they 'had a slip'. One of them had an extremely tough time. She went and bought half a bottle of something...drank one glass and poured the rest out. The second had a similar story. The third one had an 8 day relepse or slip...whichever you prefer. She did say "bender" but whatever.
I know people might disagree with me but I do think there is a difference between 'slip' and 'relapse'.
Anyway enough of that.
Work is crazy.
I'm going to my parents tomorrow for the weekend. I could use a break and some of my mother's good cooking to get my energy back as I'm on 'bed duty' next week. Oh boy.
Out of 3 people I had booked for surgery tomorrow, 1 got in and 2 were cancelled.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Don't beat yourself up, Ruby. You were sick.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Ha Ha! no need to shut up JDM. We had next to no education about alcohol at school and hardly anything about drugs either apart from being told not to take them. I get the impression that things have not changed much. Schools and authorities in general seem to be afraid to give information in case some patents object
I hope that kids nowadays are provided more reality-based education about alcohol (and other topics). Mine was the pits. We were herded into a high school gymnasium and forced to watch "Go Ask Alice" with an entirely faulty audio for the duration of the movie. I don't know how anyone could have gotten anything out of that but annoyed.

Your opening passage was poignant, Sao. Thank you for sharing. We've all paid a price, one way or another, for our addictions. God knows, I have some chapters I wish I could take back.

But we cannot change the past. Only today. And moving forward. Doing so in sobriety and recovery offers us so much. Life may not be easy or free from challenges, but it is so much better now. I am grateful.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh ...great starter and SO MANY good posts...I am IN for the weekend.
"We don't have to truncate our lives into two unhappy states, working and drinking." And the longstanding sense of being overwhelmed and the fact that we must find healthy ways to either cope or to change our lives so they can "fit" sober!

I'm still out of town on business and things are good with me! One more day working tomorrow, and then planning to stop off to visit some family on my way back home. I think I won't get back to my own house until Monday or Tuesday.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have only read about half dozen posts, but I can't keep my eyes open. So very glad you are all here, and glad to be here myself. I look forward to catching up over coffee in the morning.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend. ...I was mainly a weekend binge drinker and I'm so grateful that I don't do that anymore.
Brynn....relationships and alcohol is a bad combination, every long term relationship I had centered around alcohol and was so dysfunctional. It's really a shame what havoc alcohol causes in our lives.
Ruby....I hope you feel better and you were wise to take care of yourself today.
ok...I'm pooped and ready to go to sleep. Thanks for the thread Sao.
good night!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, glad it is Friday here even though it is an icy start.

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
I hope that kids nowadays are provided more reality-based education about alcohol (and other topics). Mine was the pits.
I wish this was true but I suspect things have still not changed that much, my own kids finished school several years ago and they did not get much education about drugs and alcohol. There seems to be a minority but persistant core of people who believe that giving information about certain subjects encourages children to take them up. The one thing they seemed to do well at my kids school was in teaching them about peer pressure and how to resist it.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Morning guys. Brrrrrr cold and frosty here. Time for work.x
Old 01-27-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker at times, but I didn't recognize it at the time. I thought it was normal behavior.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

IN... Thanks Sao for the OP

Binging on getting ready to move to a new place and set myself up like I really want. Yeah. Things are getting better and will soon be much better. I need to make things happen. they don't just happen for me.

K
Old 01-27-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

That's the truth, Weasel! We have to grab our life by the lapels and make it happen!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Great intro saoutchik! Yes, I definitely was a weekend binge drinker but no more. I'm in!