Notices

Trouble Trouble all on my mind....

Old 01-17-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

No sweat (forgive the pun), put em up just in case you hadn't seen em.

And we are in total agreement about Eric, always struck me as a sterling chap. Until I began watching the JB doco, I had little idea of just how vicious he and Ginger Baker had been to each other. Phew!!! doesn't take away from their phenomenal skills, but tbh, I kept wanting to drag them out of the screen and send them to the headmaster to get a good clip over t'ear.

Anyway, hope you can cope through the next heatwave. We've had a bit of a reprieve for a few days here n there in Melbs, but I await the next one with dread.

Glad the replacement canopy won't put you too much out of pocket. Stay chilled, ole thing.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am so glad that you are feeling a little better Dee. Depression is alot like alcoholism in that, at least initially, it has to be self diagnosed. Usually, we are in self denial until the end. People suffering from depression are often viewed like alcoholics, as being weak willed people who lack the self control to snap out of it and live a better life.

Hopefully some music playing will help you out!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

We love you, Dee.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
No sweat (forgive the pun), put em up just in case you hadn't seen em.

And we are in total agreement about Eric, always struck me as a sterling chap. Until I began watching the JB doco, I had little idea of just how vicious he and Ginger Baker had been to each other. Phew!!! doesn't take away from their phenomenal skills, but tbh, I kept wanting to drag them out of the screen and send them to the headmaster to get a good clip over t'ear.

Anyway, hope you can cope through the next heatwave. We've had a bit of a reprieve for a few days here n there in Melbs, but I await the next one with dread.

Glad the replacement canopy won't put you too much out of pocket. Stay chilled, ole thing.
Holy cow, I missed a Clapton/Baker/Bruce discussion? I'll have to go back upthread. Prepare for a couple page long posts from me.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Ha ha OOTT! Yeah, came about just as a little way to acknowledge D's bass playing<-him gagging to get back to some music making->so I just thought, Jack Bruce one of the (many) bass greats...hence the YT vids.

Massive fan myself of Cream since teenage years, then Derek and the Dominoes (the wonderful double album.....still have it), and follower of Clapton in particular in all his stages. Including ON his stages - finally managed to see him live, brilliantly as ever with spiffing backing band, in Melbourne only a few years ago.

But yeah, that famous 'last' Cream concert at the Royal Albert was Just It And A Bit. Historic. Spine tingling. Personally, I reckon you'd have to be dead inside to still not feel it that way, even though just on screen.

In the JB doco, despite the internecine nastiness - I was struck by how incredibly well he still sang, with a marvellous little group of younger musos. Also had no real idea of his musical training and abilities on piano.

(Sorry for this temporary hijack Dee and readers; it sometimes happens with all us music nuts here, mea culpa).
Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Sorry to threadjack, Dee, but this is awesome possum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FGxH50WS7Q

Spine tingling is right, bemyself! Absolutely incredible.

I saw Eric a bunch in Seattle during his drinkin' years. It was pretty rough, some of those shows. I remember a show at a small venue where he played a bunch of slow blues and was using at least one of his old Cream amp heads.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
All that going on and you're still here everyday for us. You're awesome Dee
-------->>>>>>>

Once I learn to play drums we should all have a jam session!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm happy to talk about classic rock all day long....

but just before this thread trails off, I wanted to mention something else - I was saving it for the Weekender thread but it fits here too.

I was surprised how easily I slipped back into negative self talk...

I doubted my musical ability, I doubted my scooter riding ability, and I doubted my ability to get out of the rut...

In fact the reality was I was as musically proficient as I ever was, I was dealing with a generic brand anti depressant, and I am actually quite accomplished on the scooter - accidents happen.

I think it's really important to challenge negative thoughts and counter them with rationality.

If I leave those negative spirals unchecked there's no telling where I might end up...

Challenging negative thinking | ReachOut.com Australia
Negative Self-Talk: 9 Ways To Silence Your Inner Critic
Challenging Negative Self-Talk | Psych Central
Positive thinking: Reduce stress by eliminating negative self-talk - Mayo Clinic
Change Your Inner Talk From Negative To Positive

D
Old 01-17-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

....no, no no

You must stop this.

This music causes ppl to drink...to just dull away the endless fake 'blues' noodling. All boozed and smacked off their heads.

Set them to work to learn the bass riff to Prince's "Lets Work"......try that guys
No one can play that drunk.....lol
Old 01-17-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Dee sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch, but you are right, drinking will do nothing to help with anything. It takes exactly what you are doing, starting out with one thing at a time and just addressing it.
I am sure you have discussed this with your doctor, but it might be worth asking about if not, but have you tried copper supplements for your nerve pain? My children's father suffers from a lot of nerve pain due to GBS and a year or so ago was prescribed copper supplements which he has found to help enormously. Just something to consider.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm happy to talk about classic rock all day long....

but just before this thread trails off, I wanted to mention something else - I was saving it for the Weekender thread but it fits here too.

I was surprised how easily I slipped back into negative self talk...

I doubted my musical ability, I doubted my scooter riding ability, and I doubted my ability to get out of the rut...

In fact the reality was I was as musically proficient as I ever was, I was dealing with a generic brand anti depressant, and I am actually quite accomplished on the scooter - accidents happen.

I think it's really important to challenge negative thoughts and counter them with rationality.

If I leave those negative spirals unchecked there's no telling where I might end up...

Challenging negative thinking | ReachOut.com Australia
Negative Self-Talk: 9 Ways To Silence Your Inner Critic
Challenging Negative Self-Talk | Psych Central
Positive thinking: Reduce stress by eliminating negative self-talk - Mayo Clinic
Change Your Inner Talk From Negative To Positive

D
"I was surprised how easily I slipped back into negative self talk..."

Oh how I understand this.

Thank you so much for sharing with us Dee: I am so very glad you are feeling better now. And also glad it's not going to be as expensive as you thought to repair the canopy.

So much love. ♥
Old 01-17-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the tip Mera. The Endep works fine, tho usually - it's just the generic brand didn't seem to work as well ...and because it's also an anti depressant that can leave me a little low...

I'm well back on track now and pain free

I've made a career out of blues noodling canguy so it's a little late to stop now, lol.

Everything is better musically when I'm sober - the guys I'm playing with at the moment are sober too

D
Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Okay.....good to know you are alright Mr Dee....for a moment there it read like like you had fallen off.

Blues......I love that real good stinging blues. Got a cd by a Lady called Beverly Watkins, she's in her 70's now....she was playing for coins in a bucket in a us shopping mall. She's not arty but can really do it old style. Cheers me up on grey afternoons......
Old 01-17-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks canguy. Yeah I'm doing fine now
I like the raw stuff too - whatever reaches you emotionally is a good thing

D
Old 01-17-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Dee, I'm guilty of the negative self talk as well. It is something I still work on daily. Glad you are starting to feel a little better. Is your scooter fixed yet?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:26 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

no it'll be a few weeks - the claim hasn't even been approved yet, then the canopy needs to be ordered.

Scooters fine tho, so til then it's wide brim hat, long sleeved shirt, and sunscreen if I need to go out

D
Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

May I self-centredly say thank you for talking about this Dee....I am struggling right now, self-doubt almost knocked me on my butt, and I haven't really talked about it before today.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really glad if it's helped you, or anyone else, thinking about talking about it too, Suze

D
Old 01-18-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Indeed, it's so dangerous for me to keep these things to myself.
Our secrets can damage us....I don't want that for me or anyone else here.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

....mate you always do so much for others. Maybe a lot of us forget that it can be hard for you too at times.

All the best Mr Dee....