Notices

The AV is my Enemy Weekender 08-11 Dec 2016

Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Tetra, my mother and her sister are estranged over the death of their brother. Mom feels she could have done more to help help him as she lived closest to him but, he drank himself to death. The real contention started when my aunt and her children started talking about how they were going to divide everything up between themselves as if they were the sole survivors. Pure ugly greed.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

thank you for the replies guys i am sober this morning and will try to stay that way .i am working on a list of things to do before drinking and i think i should go back to aa
Old 12-10-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I was saddened to hear of the death of the writer A.A. Gill from cancer at the age of 62. I enjoyed his columns in The Sunday Times and he always seemed very "English" if you know what I mean.

He once said "I gave up [ALCOHOL]when I was still quite young, so it was like being offered the next life. It was the real Willy Wonka golden ticket, I got a really good deal."

So he was one of us.

May his witty soul rest in peace.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I was saddened to hear of the death of the writer A.A. Gill from cancer at the age of 62. I enjoyed his columns in The Sunday Times and he always seemed very "English" if you know what I mean.

He once said "I gave up [ALCOHOL]when I was still quite young, so it was like being offered the next life. It was the real Willy Wonka golden ticket, I got a really good deal."

So he was one of us.

Tetra - I had no idea AA Gill gave up alcohol. I always enjoyed reading his articles. A great writer.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great to see on the thread Soberandhealthy, you deserve a better life and you can do it

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post

So he was one of us.

I never knew that about him either, good for him.

I must confess that because he was a friend of Jeremy Clarkson, who I dislike, I never read any of his work. I shouldn't tar people with the same brush ( or at all i suppose)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Oh I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson either
Old 12-10-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

He is the world's most arrogant ass--but there's no doubt that Top Gear went totally down the tubes when he left!
Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jonathan
I can't take credit for the Weekender Thread idea though

good to hear from you SAH

D
Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good evening and morning, all!

Now I have gone through Friday evening and all of Saturday without that poison.

Had a large pizza and am making strong iced tea.

I noted Sao's idea of finding some engaging game or other distraction (probably last weekend). I think that Elder Scrolls Online will work for me, at least for now.

Similar to LadyBlue's idea about replacing a negative thought with a positive one, and an AV thought with a contrary thought, I might practice using AV thoughts as cues to think of other activities. "There's that thought again. OK, so what are some other options?"

Wishing the best to everyone! Sending calm and strength to all who are troubled, anxious, miserable, bored, or still trapped. Everything changes, and things can still get better.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Well, I have to work Sunday and am turned in for the night! Thanks for the weekender thread! I SURVIVED!
Old 12-11-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, I hope everyone makes it through Saturday night, especially you Soberandhealthy, waking up sober on Sunday never tires

It is a beautiful morning here in London, about to have coffee, scrambled eggs on toast
Old 12-11-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Solarion- let me know what you think of Elder Scrolls Online. I've been wanting to try it for a while.

Happy sober Sunday all.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Good morning . I haven't checked in here for a while but I'm just stopping by to say hi to everyone!
Old 12-11-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Was looking forwards to the premium mince pies i bought on friday .

Why oh Why oh Why do they stick alcohol in everything "christmas" lovely mince pie ruined by the addition of brandy .. i shall have to give them away to people .
Oh it's christmas let throw a load of overpowering alcohol into all the food and make it taste yuccky !

urrgh !

m
Old 12-11-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you find some non alc mince pies Mech

D
Old 12-11-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Solarion- let me know what you think of Elder Scrolls Online. I've been wanting to try it for a while.

Happy sober Sunday all.
BBB, I'm very happy with the ESO game. I have been playing it for a couple of weeks (got the base game on sale around Thanksgiving). It has nice scenery, music, interesting creatures and NPCs. There have been times when I just admired the scenery, and times when I laughed at some turn of dialog or clever creature. The quests are interesting and don't completely involve killing nasties.

If you are new to this kind of game, I would say it's fairly easy to pick up. There are popups throughout the beginning of your character's story that teach you how to do things, or you can press F1 for the help index. You have a lot of leeway in what sort of character you create and how you develop their skills. (You can also create several different characters, who start the game out in different areas depending on their faction [political alliance].) It's back to regular price now, but there's also a subscription option that you could try for a month to see how much you like it.

Overall it's a pleasant and beautiful game with some suspense and amusement. I can follow up by PM if you have other questions.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Some of today's video games, like the Elder Scrolls do look quite interesting, I am 56 and just missed the boom in home based games but for anyone in early recovery they are perfect for distraction and when you are distracted you don't crave. Any kind off occupation will do it

A really good book is another ideal thought occupier although you do have to be careful. I bought some old Leslie Charteris "The Saint" novels which in the 1960s where made into a TV series starring a pre James Bond Roger Moore. Talk about triggers, they were written in the 1930s and the characters could not go two paragraphs without quaffing gallons of assorted proof spirit all while driving, fighting and seducing an assortment of glamorous ladies (not to mention smoking 20 cigarettes per chapter).

Sorry about your mince pies Mecx, I have never known brandy to be added to those, I will have to take care as I am very partial to mince pies

I read today that AA Gill (Adrian Anthony) called himself that in his newspaper columns as a tribute to AA who helped him get sober in 1984. Cool
Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi Sao and all, yes I made it I am still sober. I am hanging on mortify AGAIN about going tomorrow to work after my little spectacle at the christmas dinner.Im just want to not care beacuse I seem to do this all the time.I dont think much of myself anyways.

For the meantime I am just worrying about how to tackle this because I am going to want to drink eventually and I just dont want to drink anymore.

well happy sunday everyone I will be here reading today I can barely leave my bed it is usually like this on the first days i dont drink. Thank you for listening.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Do your best

Got the meat sweats on after a stew of beef shins & brisket had to have mash potatoes we used a ricer on its smallest hole setting to get it really smooth added grated cheese a few chives & a splash of milk & hey presto stew & potatoes

Going for a really hot long soak
Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Great thread Dee! Hope everyone is doing well as the weekend ends into Sunday.:-)