Notices

Resilience Weekender Thread 13-16 October 2016

Old 10-13-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the intro Dee!! good job on the cabinet!

I am in for a sober weekend!! I am very stubborn too and I am going to put it towards sobriety. I am on week 18!!

I think it is a major part of recovery when you start being concerned about other people with addictions when you realize you can't help anyone else unless you are sober yourself.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
I remember one time when we were having a very bad snowstorm - inches upon inches of snow, piling up fast. A normal, sane person would have stayed home. But not me - I was determined to get to that bar. So I got in my car and drove downtown, nearly getting stuck right in the street several times on the way there. Turn around and go home??? NOOOOOO. Keep going. Sat at the bar with other alcoholics, all bragging about how cool we were for not wimping out and staying home. After all, we are Wisconsinites! A little snow can't keep us down! When it was time to go home, I was good and stuck in the parking lot, along with almost everyone else. So there we all were, drunk and digging and pushing each others' cars out of the snow at about midnight, in what had turned into a blizzard. If that's not insanity, I don't know what is.

I now use that sort of stubbornness to help me stay sober. I'm not saying willpower is the only tool I use, because that would be dangerous, but it's one of them. And I would never dream of going anywhere in snow like that now. Well maybe - if someone I love was in trouble and needed help.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I'm on the bus!

Feeling "Super" today.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey all ,
hope everyone is getting ready for Friday .. quiet times in chez mex , thats fine .. trying to plan what nice things i can do for mex-m8 and mum this christmas ..

Keep on , m
Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In!

Congratulations on the cabinet Dee and great intro.

I have bored this thread for 20 months and friends and family for even longer but turning a pile of rust and rodent droppings into a desirable Lancia coupe by going to a draughty garage a d working my pants of weekend after weekend is either stubborn or mad

I am on the train back from Manchester, someone with headphones on was singing along, loudly. When i went to request that he kept the noise down I could smell booze. Fortunately he is now asleep, fingers crossed he stays that way
Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Greetings weekenders!!

I used to think that alcohol contributed to my resilience in social situations, helped me relax, and served as my reward. It was actually sapping my resilience and poisoning my relationships. Without it I feel human - no extremes in emotion and behaviour.

I wish you all good wishes on your sober journey this weekend!

B
Old 10-13-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Honestly I'm so tired at the end of the day.
My contract until December 31st is still only temporary so the constant thought of being let go is always not far from my mind.

Plus I find people can be a constant drain. There are some people in life who simply just love to find fault.
The people who are sick have some excuse.

Not so for people that work there though.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Don't people have lives?

I swear some people don't believe they have a purpose in life unless they're registering some opinion that stands out in contrast to the normal flow of events.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Don't people have lives?

I swear some people don't believe they have a purpose in life unless they're registering some opinion that stands out in contrast to the normal flow of events.
In my opinion, you're being overly contrary!
Old 10-13-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Home! Thank goodness
Old 10-13-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

People drive me crazy sometimes, too. When I work in the box office for the theatre here, I run across people who are so rude and feel entitled to special treatment. I make it a point to be polite to them, but give them no leeway. We have policies. I follow them. No matter who you are or how much you whine and complain. You decided at the last minute you could not come to the show and you want a refund? Nope - no refunds. Posted policy. Period.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm going to hang outside the door here for a bit, no leaving the station until Ken gets here! :p

Thinking of you Ken and hoping you're doing ok.

Happy to see everyone boarding.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi! Always ready and able for a sober weekend and week and life and...There was a liquor store here that was always open no matter what the weather. I always hit that one on my "rotation" when the snow was flying. Glad that's all over and done with.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Next Tuesday I will be 36.
I'm so sick of being shouted at on the phone at work.
Funnily enough I had a discussion with my best friend a few days ago. She said "remember your birthday dinner last year? You were whining about having no job. Now you have one and you are still whining".

Ah I don't know. Life wasn't supposed to be this way. I'm just in a slump tonight.

I've been so wrapped up in my own stuff that I've let a lot of what's going on around me go right over my head.

Two weeks ago I was out with my family. We stopped off at a country pub for a cup of coffee. My dad was sitting by the window and whatever way the sun was shining, I noticed he has a suspicious looking lump on his temple. I asked him how long was it there? He said "I don't know exactly. A few months".

I've made him a GP appointment for next week. I thought I would have to beat him there with a stick. But he said "you made an appointment? Well it's been a few years since I had a check up so I might as well go".

I'm sitting here with my tea. I saw this picture and thought it was apt...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FB_IMG_1476395913295.jpg (41.8 KB, 73 views)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Just remember Tetra, the shouting isn't personal. They aren't shouting at "you," they are shouting because of frustration.
I can understand you getting tired of it.
I hope things aren't serious with your dad.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Resilience is the definition of my recovery.
I was near death when I ended up in the hospital from drinking. A nonjudgmental doctor saved my life, and then saved my soul when he put me in rehab. The rehab didn't want me, for I was too sick. He insisted.
I did the rehab. Then I did the meetings. It took many many many months for me to fully recover, but a check up at about 12 months proved my body healed completely. It was another 12 before my soul felt closer to healing.
It's never too late to give yourself a chance at proving your resilience.

I am in for the weekend!!!
Big storm they are predicting for the next few days. I've stocked the cupboards and batteries and the kindle is charged.
I am all set for a cozy, sober weekend!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My BOWIE contribution for this weekend Have a great one guys xxx

https://youtu.be/TacjMOv6Xwo
Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

So I got an email from my buddy from rehab. He got word that a kid we were there with OD and died today. He was barely out of his teens. He and I talked shop- he wanted to be a programmer so I talked at length with him about getting started in it. He was just a kid. Whole life ahead of him, good head on his shoulders, full of plans. His addiction to Heroin killed him today. Really makes you think about what we do to ourselves seeking whatever we get out of the high. Addiction kills. Takes no prisioners. Doesn't matter who, what, where, when, or how. I am so grateful to get out of that rodeo- there have been times I woke up and wondered why I wasn't dead. Sorry to be a downer, but it got to me. Just a kid.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry LB.

Stories like that just make me more determined to do everything I can to help[ others make it.

D
Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders .

Thank you Dee for the intro and new thread.

This weekend is special for me - today I am celebrating 4 years sober. Not sure yet how to celebrate it though)

And I resumed my boxing yesterday)

LB - It is really sad. So sorry.

See you, weekenders)