Notices

Resilience Weekender Thread 13-16 October 2016

Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Home! I'm as hungry as a famished hippo
Old 10-14-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekender bus too. Weekends are tough for me!
I had a post typed out last night but my computer decided to reboot last night. Boo urns.
Tired... not going to be alone this weekend though. should be interesting. This is new.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Marty, drinking water helps. Chewing gum. When I smoked, a lot of my addiction was the oral fixation part of it, so it helped giving my mouth something to do.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have eaten too much spaghetti and now feel immobile. I have Crazy Golf later, I reckon the serious CGer should be doing 40 hours a week cross training and a couple of half marathons for stamina, easily
Old 10-14-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

And thanks Dee for the original post, I really like that.
Sometimes I forget to give myself a pat on the back for how far I've come in a long and short time. I'm still a single mom, working hard on my recovery, with a place of my own. I have a lot going for me and a lot to be grateful for. Sometimes things feel like they are balancing on the head of a pin. But I think my coming back from trying to end it all, and a long relapse shows me my own resiliency.
Feeling a lot of gratitude even in the face of exhaustion and frustration.

Marty, does it get pretty chilly in Wisconsin? I force myself to make myself as uncomfortable as possible in the cold so I either quit smoking or curb it in the winter. It gets really cold here and I hate being cold. haha

Bug, I'm sorry to hear about that too. I know my detox group, of all of us who were in detox for 7 days last christmas, none of us stayed sober or clean. I think I was the one who stayed sober the longest. And that was only two weeks. :/

I'm really proud of you MB, I can't remember if I posted in your anniversary thread that I peek in on your older thread when you were having so other struggles. You are definitely an inspiration to me. I love that you box! I want to take up kick boxing or some other kind of disciplined fighting.

So glad we're toeing the weekend.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

hey, waited for the sun to warm up things before I started on deck staining... got a timer set to do a second coat on one section, then it's a series of over lapping coats and moving backwards... cloudless sky, means damp cool mornings... and hot in the sun afternoons...

hope all are set for the weekend... as in - Do you have a strategy to get though the trials of early sobriety?

just heard this on the radio outside...
Old 10-14-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Delizadee - it gets super duper cold here. Like not above freezing for the whole winter, and often below zero. Definitelt a deterrent to smoking. I never ever smoke in my house but I have been known to smoke in the garage. No more of that. When I get home today I have to throw away the mason jar of butts that I have on my deck, and get rid of the little ashtray in my car. No reminders.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Thanks a lot for congrats on my milestone!

I am really glad this week is over because it's been very tense in terms of work. As I mentioned I have a new boss - well, he is not new to the company, but I never worked with him before. He assigned me two challenging projects, and, should I say, I constantly feel like an idiot.

I wish I could finally master the art of not beating myself up over everything.

Marty - Hold on. Quitting any addiction isn't easy, but you know the drill already, you'll handle this. A friend of mine here, at SR, quit smoking 3 years ago and she also started with cleaning her car and home from anything reminding about cigarettes.

Sao - I hope you will regain some motion-ability by the time your crazy golf starts.

Delizadee - Thank you for your kind words. You did post on my anniversary thread) Go for boxing - it's more than just a workout, it's a new mindset.

Brain - Glad your next DIY project is in full swing. I still can't choose tiles for my bathroom. Any suggestions how to do it on a tight budget?

My best wishes to all the weekenders.

Have a great day!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post

I suggested that co worker Dizzee might be replaced by a robot. Co worker Dizzee suggested that I might be replaced by a human.
She has a rapier wit, that Dizzee.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm registering for the weekend. Its already Saturday morning here.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Best turnout at Crazy Golf - 14 and it is not even payday. Finished a respectable third. I am told that a couple of actors from british soap opera Eastenders were in the hall. No one I had heard of but soaps are not on my radar
Old 10-14-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I have a confession to make.
I was in town buying myself some pre-birthday treats - clothes, make up, books and what have you.
I admit I've been extremely stressed out this week. Between work and worry and my dad.
I made up my mind this evening to have a drink. I was going to go to a bar and have a few glasses of wine. I had decided.

But I found myself walking through the park. I sat down on a bench - in the rain - and thought about HALT. I was all of those things.
So I found a coffee shop instead and I ordered a cup of tea and a roll with ham and cheese. It wasn't great but the tea was strong and soothing.
After that I had gone from HALT to L...

If you know what I mean. And the moment passed and I'm still here.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well done tetra. I'm proud of you and you should be proud of you too xxx
Old 10-14-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Count me in Weekenders!!

Resilience is definitly one of those things I've learnt as I've experienced more and more of life, one of those skills/strengths that until I had disappointment, challenges and a realisation that life doesn't always go to plan, that we then face the question of either giving up or we see something out to the end and make it happen.

There has been no greater example in my life than my battle with alcohol . . . but it can be done, and it especially can be done at the Weekend!!

Reminds me of an iconic quote from Rocky!!

Old 10-14-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got through that Tetra
Welcome to the thread sweetichick

Best wishes Marty

D
Old 10-14-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good hellos peoples. Joined here just now- thanks D7. Saturday here. Although not because of alcohol directly- my behaviour has been noted by amongst many- my counsellor- to change on w/ends. Sleep, eating, hyper thinking- you know-stuff. So will add this thread to my slowly braided threaded rope of life. Every positive source helps. PJ.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

warning: muso 'dad joke'

Joined here just now- thanks D7.
I'm more a D7#9 I think PJ

Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Stubborn and resilient? Probably should be my middle name.

When I was young maybe like first grade I found some of my Dad's spray paint in the basement and proceeded to paint walls, the carpet, the dog and the television screen to name a few. When I went upstairs and my Mom saw me and asked what I had been doing I replied, "nothing" even though I had paint all over me too.

When she discovered what I had done she told me to go to my room and not come out until my Dad got home and I could confess what I did..... I stayed in there for 5 days (I was allowed to come out to eat).

Hope everyone is or has a nice weekend. Friday night here in the US and I am on board for a sober weekend.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Way to go Tetra!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
sober style

Hello, weekend thread people. The Tetra post caught my eye, avoiding a relapse. Close call, well handled!