Notices

I would not do it

Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Dee and Freshstart, Interesting conversations from three people enjoying sobriety and all three have followed a very different path at least on the surface but I would be willing to bet we likely are more alike than we are different.

One way we are alike is the belief there is more than one way and if someone has been sober for a while it is in your own best interest to consider what they have to say
Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Thanks. This is true. We've seen a couple disappear in our August 16 class this way. I can only imagine how many over four years.
Many. Have seen it over and over again.

Originally Posted by Lightning Bug View Post
I believe we have to build the strength and power within ourselves to be strong in our recovery no matter where we may be or what substances we are around. We can't hide from life. If we are strong we can take anything.
Well, no, we cannot hide from life.

However, during my time as part of the SR community, I've seen many lose their sobriety because they felt they had to be out in drinking situations because ... you know ... "you have to go on living" ... "I know I'll be tested so I might as well get out there and be strong."

I recommend a conservative approach, especially during the first year. Beyond the obvious reasons -- not drinking -- exposure to alcohol has a way of weighing on our minds. Even when people emerged from a situation without drinking, it can catch up with you during the following days. Seen that happen here, too.

The way to go on living is make a steadfast commitment to sobriety.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Many. Have seen it over and over again.

Well, no, we cannot hide from life.

However, during my time as part of the SR community, I've seen many lose their sobriety because they felt they had to be out in drinking situations because ... you know ... "you have to go on living" ... "I know I'll be tested so I might as well get out there and be strong."

I recommend a conservative approach, especially during the first year. Beyond the obvious reasons -- not drinking -- exposure to alcohol has a way of weighing on our minds. Even when people emerged from a situation without drinking, it can catch up with you during the following days. Seen that happen here, too.

The way to go on living is make a steadfast commitment to sobriety.
If I was going to be a professional heavy weight fighter and wanted to be successful I know getting in the ring is inevitable but that doesn't mean I going to get in the ring until I have trained extensively and am in peak condition.

Getting in the ring too soon more often than not results in us getting beat into s bloody pulp