Notices

How to not drink while camping

Old 08-17-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going camping with a bunch of folks who drink. It's with families from my kids school. I have to go or my kid doesn't get to go. I have 17 days sober. I just broke up with my partner. I'm raw. Feeling super down. I'm going to a mtg a day per sponsor instruction. I'm praying (God freaking help me). Reading the pages. I'm full of major self pity. I have no idea how not to drink at this.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

I've been through a camping trip a couple of weeks ago and I know what you mean. It was 2 days after I ended a 2 months binge, so I was not on my best place.

What worked for me is every single time I felt like a drink I got up and did something. Went to get some water for everyone, light a fire, take the kids for a walk, whatever was at hand.

Mind you, I did have a one day relapse since then, but I was sober during camping.

You can do it to, go for it and have fun!

P
Old 08-17-2016, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love hiking and camping! For years it was an activity that gave me a different place to drink but after a bit of sober time I got back to that place where it was about peace and communing with nature. You will get there, Pressmetilihurt!
Old 08-18-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Press - I'm going assume that it's the absolute truth that if you don't go, your kid can't..

so, I'll dispense with the usual 'don't go', even tho I think that's the clear winner in options here.

think about it. The last thing your kid needs is his parent getting drunk on a camping trip.

If you can't quite bring yourself to be sober for you right now, maybe being sober for your kid is an achievement to aim for?

Make a plan - make it a good one.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

these links are good ones too - maybe print them out as well?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I assume you'll be taking a phone as well - get the mobile SR app if you haven't already got it, and use us when you need us.

D
Old 08-18-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Number one tip:

Always have some sort of non-alcoholic beverage in your hand. Preferably in a can like Pepsi. I found the having something sweet made not drinking immensely easier.

Indulge in food.

The most important one if you can, let them know you're not drinking. It can be casual.

I read this recently:

I can go anywhere in the world and not drink. This is true. I recently went to a tropical resort with a bar, palm trees, lounge chairs, live music, and a waitress and I did not drink. I'm a nondrinker now and I can go anywhere in the world and not drink.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The book is absolutely clear on this. "If you are shaky you better work with another alcoholic instead" simple.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was concerned about that when I went camping. I'd suggest that you really focus on the quality time you will be spending with your kid and what good memories you are creating. Keep busy. Have special non alcoholic drinks available for yourself. And be mindful of the beauty around you and how you will not be making this an ugly experience by drinking. Think it through if you get tempted. ..think about how terrible you'd feel in the morning.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't go. Harsh and simple but my absolute advice.

Kids are sometimes disappointed at something they cannot do. Make up a reasons- or better yet, come up with a reason that you are going to do something different together (a la....guess what came up? We have a chance to do [ ] that we've never done before! pay or arrange or whatever for this different fun plan).

It sounds like you are way too early and too shaky to do this.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And if you go - see above for the plans. Make whatever excuses you have to in order to get away from the alcohol - it is your life that is important, NOT a couple of days of camping.

Seriously, think about that.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

pretty simple- just dont,even if your ass falls off.
not easy,but simple.
take your cell phone FULLY CHARGED and call your sponsor and others in recovery, even if you dont get a craving.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good advice above. The first time I went to a friend's cabin where I used to drink a lot, I concentrated on the peace and quiet and beauty of the place. My friend also knew I had quit, and he very kindly did not drink that weekend. Even though I didn't ask him not to. Now I can go with him and drinking doesn't cross my mind, because I have chosen this life and chosen to be present in the moment sober, wherever I am, and whatever is going on around me.

Is there really no way you can opt out of the trip? I had to opt out of some things that didn't seem optional in the very beginning - but in reality, everything was optional except my commitment to sobriety. If you must go, have plans for when you start to get itchy. Go for a walk - make something to eat, chop firewood, whatever. Enjoy being sober with your kid and really being there for him/her, not dulling yourself with booze.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stay strong, moment by moment. It's going to be hard, I'll be praying for your strength to get thru this
Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think you've gotten some good advice already. I would add to it- camping hangovers are the worse. I've gone camping several times since getting sober and I don't miss that part at all.
I went camping three weeks ago. The experience was far better sober. I know you're on day 17, but the experience can be far better sober than being hungover while camping. I watched some people drinking a few sites down from my family. Loud voices, generally raucous. The next day, I got up around 6:30 and fished in a creek by the sites. Those people were not awake. An hour later the smell of bacon and coffee was in the air. People were stirring. Not those people. By mid morning everyone was getting their rafts and inner tubes inflated to go out on the river. Not those folks. It was a beautiful California summer day and the perfect place to be: in the redwood trees along the river. But those folks who tied one on the night before were straggling around, sitting by the campfire in their pajamas at noon and looked like death warmed over. We enjoyed floating down the river, fishing, playing in the rocks, swimming in deep pools in the river- in general having a great time in nature, but those who decided that camping was about getting drunk didn't exactly have the same experience, since they were busy recovering from the previous night's drinking.
I've learned to separate camping from drinking. It's a far better experience.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Honestly I could not have done that. I would have caved.

I'm going to be in the don't go crowd. In the long term for the good of your child your sobriety is more important than this camping trip. If you relapse there's a good chance this trip cost him/her a sober parent. And nothing is as important as that. The scary thing about this disease is if we relapse there is no guarantee we can sober up again. Getting sober is hard. I don't know about you but I don't know if I have a second chance in me. You have 17 days and will have a few more by the time of the trip. Is it really worth taking the chance? Is there not any other way you could make it up to him? Perhaps find a camping trip to take your child on that doesn't have alcohol? Honestly since I have sobered up I have no desire to have my kids exposed to too much drinking anyway. I set a bad enough example for them when I was a drunk. I also know myself well enough to know that if I was in that situation and did somehow manage not to drink I would be a pissy ahole all weekend because I couldn't drink. I would ruin the trip anyway.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't know there was a SR app.
My plan.
1. Check in with sponsor
2. Do my readings
3. Gratitude List
4. Cold Diet Coke
5. Emergency nicotine
6. Stay busy

Suggestions of food to bring?
Old 08-18-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

You got this. 17 plus days is over the detox. The anxiety will be there no matter.

Your kid will be upset in a big way. You don't want that.

Bring lots of snacks and sweet stuff.

Get up early go to bed w the kids. Don't stay up w the drunks.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found anything with sugar helped me a lot in the beginning. You may have noticed you are craving sugar - alcohol=sugar in your body. Chocolate, hard candies, stuff like that. Also I think foods high in protein help when you have a craving. Cheese, beef jerky, summer sausage. Things you can easily grab and snack on without preparation.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great advice from D122y about getting up early and going to bed early.
Stay rested. Stay hydrated. Don't let yourself get hungry or thirsty.
Pay attention to HALT. H=hungry A=angry L=lonely T=tired
Any of those things alone can make you vulnerable. Start adding them together and you could really be in trouble.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

What comes to mind.
A- find the other non drinker(s) and hang with them.
B- go to bed early - I know that's a tough one.
C- make a plan to keep busy doing other things around camp
D-bring a ton of your favorite non alcohol beverage

Make a plan ahead of time and stick too it..
Old 08-18-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
You got this. 17 plus days is over the detox. The anxiety will be there no matter.

Your kid will be upset in a big way. You don't want that.

Bring lots of snacks and sweet stuff.

Get up early go to bed w the kids. Don't stay up w the drunks.
Wow this is risky advice as far as the first two....fodder for the AV, IMO!!!
Depending on how much you were drinking....17 days may not be out of detox; you're sober but not sober thinking, at least.

Kids get upset. You move on. Live on eggshells about upsetting them? No....

You are putting yourself in a situation to CREATE more anxiety.

Perhaps this is bothering me so much because I am at 6mo Sat and I don't want to do ANYTHING to jeopardize it - and I hate to see other people do the same.

I'll just leave it at that and hope you keep making good choices for your sobriety first.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

The standard answers are bring someone in recovery with you (someone with a LOT more time than 17 days by the way), Tell people in recovery where you are going and check in with them, and have an exit plan and leave if you feel uncomfortable.

I'm with the don't go crowd on this one. - You're not sounding too good.

Will your kid be disappointed? Sure. If I had to guess I would say you're like me and you want to make up for all the times you let them down in the past.

You know what's more disappointing than a missed camping trip? Having a parent that is too loaded to have a relationship with, or that has died due to active addiction/alcoholism. - That's disappointing.