View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
GnikNus

I think you've gotten some good advice already. I would add to it- camping hangovers are the worse. I've gone camping several times since getting sober and I don't miss that part at all.
I went camping three weeks ago. The experience was far better sober. I know you're on day 17, but the experience can be far better sober than being hungover while camping. I watched some people drinking a few sites down from my family. Loud voices, generally raucous. The next day, I got up around 6:30 and fished in a creek by the sites. Those people were not awake. An hour later the smell of bacon and coffee was in the air. People were stirring. Not those people. By mid morning everyone was getting their rafts and inner tubes inflated to go out on the river. Not those folks. It was a beautiful California summer day and the perfect place to be: in the redwood trees along the river. But those folks who tied one on the night before were straggling around, sitting by the campfire in their pajamas at noon and looked like death warmed over. We enjoyed floating down the river, fishing, playing in the rocks, swimming in deep pools in the river- in general having a great time in nature, but those who decided that camping was about getting drunk didn't exactly have the same experience, since they were busy recovering from the previous night's drinking.
I've learned to separate camping from drinking. It's a far better experience.