Notices

Hospital Again!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Saved from boredom!! Babysitting my great niece. Hope she's in bed in time for "Ghost within my child" Tonight it's about a kid who remembers dying on the Titanic..whoo
I have stopped watching Paranormal Witness, because I have to sleep with the light on after I have seen it.
And this faulty bedroom door keeps swinging open by itself, at least I hope it's a fault in the door haha
The only spirits I should be afraid of are of the alcoholic kind!
Old 07-21-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fripfrop View Post
Thats great Jsbodhi You have more willpower than me, I don't think I'd be sticking to this eating plan if I didn't have to haha

I wish I felt great
I still don't have much energy or stuff, but its only been 16 days today off the drink for me.
I still have to give up the fags. I don't think theres much point to this healthy eating and still smoking.
Nevermind smoking clinic on Monday!
Yeah I smoke too and I always think it doesn't matter how healthy I am in other areas if I'm still smoking.
My next ( 1000 th) quit date is monday too
I wish you success!!! Xoxo
Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Success to you too Jsbodhi, and now I know who to come and cry to when I stop the fags, because it will surely come to crying. Everytime I've tried to pack them in, after a couple of days I have a period where theres nothing to be done but sit and cry haha
Another side effect I have after no fags for a couple of days is wanting to punch strangers, just randoms in the street, I just want to kill everyone! haha
Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

That's really funny! I cry too haha
Like a spoiled child who can't have it's sweeties!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Last night, when I was babysitting my great niece (my sisters granddaughter, who is 8) she said to her mother when we were talking about my sister
"Mam, I love my grandma, she was in the room when I was born wasn't she? You can't get closer than that, can you?
My niece "Errr...hello, I gave birth to you!"
They were both so serious, I had tears running down my face laughing so much
Old 07-21-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Well another day of vegginess starting. Although I am finding it easier as the days go on.
This no proccessed food, no sugar no fat diet, may take some getting used to. But I cannot overstate, how much calmer and at ease I feel compared to other times I have stopped drinking and filled myself full of junk food.

I've read places that anxiety and depression are at a high, in society, and when you think about it, so is consumsion of refined, proccessed "food"

Although the eating plan the doctor has put me on is very strict, slowly I'm getting used to it (apart from no marmite crisps).
I find it hardest when I'm peckish between meals now, because I can't just grab a chocolate bar, or a biscuit, or a bag of crisps.

But I'm starting to see it's worth it, just for the mental stability I feel.
I don't know if its the lack of refined sugar and refined carbohydrates, the lack of additives and other chemicals in the food, or if its the fact I am getting enough vitamins to have a healthy nervous system.
But I think its more than coincidence that I eat right now, and feel right mentally
Old 07-21-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

I knew it!!
It's the stuff about the amino acids I found interesting

This article is the first one came up on google about recovery and nutrition..

Because they have neglected their diet, addicts experience gastrointestinal disorders such as diarrhea, constipation, an inability to digest foods properly, along with a poor appetite. As a result, they have a special need for foods that are high in nutrients to rebuild damaged tissues, organs and regain appropriate functioning of the various systems including the nervous and gastrointestinal systems.

Every newly recovering addicts struggles with craving to use alcohol and drugs. Research has show that a diet with the right types of high protein and high carbohydrate-rich foods can make a big difference.

Food affects mood. Along with amino acids, deficiency of nutrients like folic acid and the other B-complex vitamins also have a serious and negative impact. Sugar and caffeine can contribute to mood swings, so intake of both should reduced during the early stages of recover.

Alcohol and drug use prevents the body from properly processing two important amino acids, tyrosine and tryptophan. They are responsible for the production of norepinephrine, dopamine, serotonin. These compounds are neurotransmitters that are essential for emotional stability, mental clarity, and a general state of well-being. Decreased levels of these neurotransmitters negatively affect mood and behavior.

Tyrosine is a precursor to the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine--chemical messengers that promote mental acuity and alertness. It is a nonessential amino acid found in protein-rich foods such as meat, poultry, seafood and tofu.

Tryptophan is integral to the production of serotonin, which has a calming effect and is important for proper sleep. It is found in foods such as bananas, milk and sunflower seeds, as well as turkey meat.

All addicts in active use of alcohol and drugs are malnourished.
Nutrition actually impacts cravings for drugs and alcohol.
Go to the "Recovery Diet" for some practical suggestions for good eating choices for people in recovery.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Lol, I'm going to pass on a little piece of 'wisdom' that someone said to me, and goes through my bloody head about 15 times a day now (I suspect you'll want to munch me in the head just as much as I did them)...

If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you're not hungry.

Lol. I hate that sentence now. But it does help me to think about why I'm eating and distinguish 'want' from 'need' (which I've always struggled to do, whether thinking about alcohol, sex, food, spending, or whatever - hence my own frequent toddler-style meltdowns both when stopping smoking and quitting the booze. I still get them coming on, but now I recognise that as my AV kicking in, and tell it 'No' just as firmly as I'd tell a toddler it can't go to play on the swings at 3am. No argument. Not up for discussion.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Berry, I get genuinely hungry between meals!!
Some of the time though it's that I just "fancy" something.
What is it with people and their apples? haha
If I used to say I was hungry my mother would always tell me to have an apple..an apple used to make me hungrier haha

I think what it is, is that when eating lots of veg, fish,chicken, fruit and oats and stuff, it doesn't feel as comforting or as satisfying as eating fat or sugar. Plus you have all the artificial flavours and salt in the proccessed food that I'm used to. So when I eat, there always feels like theres something "missing". Although it is getting better the more I am getting used to it.

Toddler-style meltdowns? You wait till next week when I have to give up the fags, you will see the mother of toddler-style meltdowns haha
You may have to come on here and metaphorically slap the back of my legs haha
Old 07-22-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

I lurff this...
Attached Images
Old 07-22-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Thought I'd fallen through a hole in the space/time continum when I looked at the sky.
A German WW2 Messerschmitt and a Spitfire were flying past! Th en I remembered it's the airshow tomorrow and various planes are doing a run-through over head today hahaha

It's good news it's airshow weekend, I can take my grandson there. We've been every year since he was born, and he loves it.
I'm not that keen on the crowds, nearly 1 million people along the beach last year, and my head goes all fuzzy and weird in crowds, but a barby on the beach fighting off the dogs and brushing the sand off the sausages has become a bit of a tradition now
Better get myself some of those disgusing cardboard sausages, that are made of who knows what, instead of dead pig, which is my prefrence.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Berry I feel that apple sentence is going to haunt me for the rest of my life!!!
It's good though!
Old 07-22-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I don't know whats wrong with me.
I feel a bit of a fraud being here on this forum.
I read around, and some people are having such angst, or such joy at having stopped drinking. I feel neither.
I just feel normal, like in the 37 years before drinking became a problem.
I know it's over. It was a period in my life, a long period, that is over now.
Before I started to drink like a lunatic, I went through some terrible times in my life. And never thought of drinking my way out of them, just went through them.

I feel like that now, I coped for many many years with no crutch, and I can go back to living without a crutch.
I have no mental turmoil, I'm a little worried about what the heart scan will come back as, but, face that when it comes.
I have no out of control obsessive thoughts or worrying, like I have done before when I have tried to give the drink up.

That's the point I TRIED to give it up. I never really thought it was finished for good, like I think now.

Now, I want to fill my life with other things.
I feel Ive done everything there is to do with drink. Ive lost my home, Ive been arrested a couple of times, Ive lost jobs. Ive had my kids lose all respect for me at times and not talk to me. Ive wasted a ton of money. Ive been in hospita a few times. Ive harmed my health.
Maybe it has finally sunk in, what the hell are you drinking for?

I have had no pleasure from it for years. Maybe an hour or so..then smashed out of my head and into blackout.
Social drinking ceased a long long time ago, never drank at social occasions the last few years, because I totally couldn't control it once I started and knew I would be in a state after an hour or so, so didn't even try to drink then.

I'm not afraid I will "slip" I'm not afraid of drink, I just know I am done with it.
Like Ive been done with other periods of my life, moved on and never looked back.

I can't even explain to myself how I know this time is different and for good. I just do.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

That last post wasn't meant to sound arrogant.
Just wondering what has changed in me. Ive had health scares before, and it hasn't stopped me.
I am just wondering, during the last few binges when I have been on my knees, in the middle of the floor begging for the Universal consiousness, God, Jesus, Buddha, my dead nana, anybody, anything, to help me not want to drink, if someone or something heard!
I am still participating in my recovery.
Just, don't feel it's a battle or anything.
Just feel this is the way things are going to be from now on.
But I won't ever forget those times on my knees, begging for help and desperate
Old 07-22-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Oh, theres my lift, off to babysit for weekend.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling strong at the moment. Just be mindful that many people experience a 'pink cloud' phase of recovery, which is great while it lasts but can be a bit of an uncomfortable come-down from. Not saying this is necessarily what you're experiencing, only you can know that (and possibly only know yourself later on in hindsight). It might be worth searching for the threads on this forum about Pink Cloud and gen up on it, just in case. But for now, enjoy it ��
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

False alarm, good job I didn't jump in a strangers car haha
No, Berry, this isn't pink cloud. I don't feel joy, or happiness or anything like that.
I just feel like Ive "clicked" back to normal.
I've experienced that pink cloud thing before during stopping drinking for a while. That is when you are top of the world, convinced you have beat it, everything is going to be great and your full steam ahead.
Now, its just I feel like I used to before the drink became a problem.
I don't think about it much (drink). I know there will be problems ahead, my dad has cancer and isn't very well at all.
I'm still unemployed, I still live in a dump, I still have no money and I still have to get myself out of this pickle.
I'm not enjoying being sober, I'm not not enjoying it..it just feels natural. I don't hate drink, I just now can't see what the attraction was all those years. I don't want to be "out of it" anymore.
My daughter rang this afternoon. I miss her dearly, she works away, and although I feel sad, that I can't see her everyday and be part of her life in a day to day or week to week basis, I didn't feel like drinking. I'm ok with feeling a little sad about it. I appreciate natural emotions after years of numbed ones, or over the top drunken dramatic ones.
I just want to be me again. With all my faults (well not with the drinking malarky, obviously)
Doesn't mean I'm not up for learning and self-improvement, but I can accept I'm only human as well.
Usually after this length of time off the booze Im on some hyper. Not this time
I can't explain what has happened to me
Old 07-22-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

"Gen up" haven't heard that expression for years Berry! haha
This really is my lift
Old 07-22-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fripfrop View Post
"Gen up" haven't heard that expression for years Berry! haha
This really is my lift
Lol. Showing my age.