Notices

Day 1 again

Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

I'm back at Day 1. I was doing well until I wasn't. Started drinking again about a month ago. I knew what I was doing was wrong but I wasn't ready to stop. But I am now. I am so sick of the shame and how I act when I'm drunk. One night I made a very poor attempt at a joke by saying that an old lady in the bar I was at would be dead soon. She was the grandmother of a woman I know. They didn't hear me I don't think but plenty of other people did. That happened two weeks ago and I'm still sick over it. And then there are all the other things I said and did that I don't remember in a blackout.

I hate what alcohol turns me into and the anxiety that comes with the days after a binge.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What are you going to do to assure that this is your last day one?
Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You say you are ready to finally get sober, that is amazing, but it isn't going to happen just by its self. Of course mentally we have to be ready to quit, but it is SO much more then mentally wanting to do something..instead you need to create a plan to put into action and literally fight for your life.

Do you have a recovery plan? Have you found a recovery program that you feel connects with you and that you can apply to your life? Do you have a doctor that can stand behind you, monitor your health, and provide different medications as might be needed? Have you considered counseling to help you work out different things in your life and why you do what you do and act like you act? Also are you willing to get a full psych exam to see if there are any co-existing disorders happening here? I ask that because if there are, getting those under control will make being sober SO MUCH easier- I know it was that way for me.

YOU CAN DO THIS! I just wanted to give you some food for thought. Nothing changes if nothing changes, so it is up to you to change as much as you can and then you will reap the benefits of all your work
Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back goblet...
I'm just coming back as well..join the august class and keep posting!!!

We can do this...together !!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It happened, that's not good, but it happened
and it is in the past, we can't change that but
we can change the future.

Good luck and courage for your forthcoming
efforts..
Old 08-08-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the stories and bad jokes we tell when drunk, I know the feeling.
Get a game plan for recovery and get busy this is a great place to start, here are some recovery options
1 Smart Recovery
2 Life Ring
3 AA
I use them all good luck
Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Goblet,

Glad you are here. I agree with the above advice about a plan. Spend some time reading on here, there are lots of links about plans. Dee will probably be around to post one as well.

Definitely join the August class, I joined the January class when I was finally ready to commit to sobriety and it has been a fabulous support.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back Gobletoffire!!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 1 again...man I know that feeling! The anxiety over the stupid things you did for weeks after, it can be unbearable, but it does pass. Only problem I have is once it passes I go out, get wasted and do it all over again.

I recently went over seas for a music festival with a friend of mine and a group of his friends who I don't know too well. It was a complete mess, absolute waste of time and money. I embarrassed myself so many times I lost count. Haven't spoken to my friend since, we had a big argument on the last night.

Since then I've been on 3 more benders, fallen out with my very best friend and again regretted every minute of it.

Not meaning to make this about me at all, just letting you know you're not alone and today is day one for me also.

Good luck
Old 08-08-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back GOF

D
Old 08-08-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Goblet - I'm glad you came back instead of continuing on with the binge. I agree that it's great to get free of all the craziness & self-sabotage. I was exhausted from trying to manage it. It feels wonderful to be out of that trap.