saoutchik

In!

Welcome to Weekenders :- SansaS
FindingCake
Impossibledays
graciepearl
ReadyOrNot

Ken - really good opener, thank you

Congratulations on shotgun LBrain - were you the first to ever call it on this thread?

Jen, sorry to hear about your mom, the kidneys may be worse because of the infection so it might no be permanent. Fingers crossed

I have my future son in laws parents coming over tonight to discuss the wedding. I quite like them and I like having people over but wedding talk - BORING! I think the MIL wants a bigger, showier one than the bride and groom want. Since it is my role to pay small is best.

I will be cooking them mushroom risotto so I better leave work soon if it is to be ready in time
Old 06-02-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

csaw - that avatar animation is never not gonna be funny to me...

WELCOME ALL THE NEW FOLKS ! AWESOME

I planted 150 individual flowers already - yes, you heard that correctly... my hands were caked in a crust of dirt. had to weed and prep flower bed and other areas... I decided to see what time it is and also realized I didn't put on sunscreen. So I undressed in the laundry room, tossed two pairs of pants in the washer, scrubbed my hands with a stiff scrubbing brush in the deep sink, made two summer sausage sandwiches with mustard, pickles and chips on the side, filled a tall glass with ice, squeezed a lemon slice in, added the sun tea I made yesterday and thought - wow, this tea is awesome, on my third glass... debating whether or not to take a shower before I go back out and get dirty again, prolly a good idea,
I blew out my work shoes. think I'll duck tape the sole back onto the upper and get another year out of them

I still have 4 pieces of wood to cut but was hoping to get some quality 'free' wood, might not happen and coming up on my deadline... have to move on to other things... been quite busy...

hope your mom makes a full recovery soon Jen... thinking about you...

well, my 20 minute break is up, I am gonna take a shower, then plant some more flowers, cut wood and work on steps... there is a fine tuning to be done on that which requires some hardware and more free wood... but not important - then paint, yeah, paint...
Old 06-02-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hard to believe, but I got a Story or two...

After the ~9 hour Slog driving over to our Mountain House, we busted on it and got remaining items loaded onto my Utility Trailer. Packed the Truck Bed. This kinda work @ 9,050' Elevation made for a good Schnooze, lemme tell ya! Got some predictable Thunderstorm Rain/Light Snow/Hail, but never got rained on. This, after the Buyer's House Inspector had turned off a buncha Sink Valves; leading me initially to think I had a major Well Water System problem to resolve in ~1.5 Days. Once I figgered out what it was [Human Error], I just left everything as it was so as to not tempt Fate.

The interminable Docs Signing at Closing last Tuesday Morning went fine. Nice, new, older House Owners who realize they got a lot of stuff to do. Drop Pine Beetle-killed Trees. Stain the House & Deck. Grade the Driveway. You name it. All this was why we dropped the House price recently by $20k, which did the trick to move the Joint. They're ripping out dated Carpet this Weekend, so they're developed their Vision. It wasn't super-convenient for us, but we did the Closing on the earliest Day they wanted to allow them to get on with their Dream.

Meanwhile, the Buyer's Funds were not wired over by their Credit Union. Whoopsie! Can't transfer House Title on a Handshake sans Funds. So, we were allowed to bolt, since our side of the Ledger was clean and done. We drove on to Boulder, and I closed out our Safety Deposit Box which cannot be done long distance. You gotta be there to inspect even an empty Box. I Certified Mailed them the Key. They mailed it back to me w/o Comment. Meanwhile, I was getting hit with Fees and Penalties on something we neither wanted, nor used. Got those Fees removed.

This [and more] after major MesaMate Trauma. We're all packed up Tuesday Morning, with some time to spare, down by our Driveway bottom. MesaMate freaks out! Her 2.2 Carat Wedding Ring Diamond Solitaire is gone. Lost. Ripped right out of the bent Diamond Mount Prongs. We've loaded out our Master King-sized Foam Bed. Been out on the Deck over Pine Needles. Cleaned. Endless trips up/down to the Truck. She bursts into Tears, and nearly throws up from Grief.

SOOOO, Ricky Rational, here, points out that it's Insured. We got 1/2 Hour to spare to drive the ~1.5 Hours to Closing. Vacuum quickly. Take the Vacuum Cleaner Bag with us for my Forensic Analysis. Calm her down.

Before I duck into our Bank in Boulder after House Closing, and she pops in for some Retail Therapy at the Mall, I see something weird on her Truck Seat. I'm thinking she's lost a Diamond Earring, to boot. I hold up my discovery with this weird look on my Face, causing her to wonder what's wrong. IT'S HER RING DIAMOND JUST SITTING ON THE TRUCK SEAT! This, after umpteen load-out Trips, and in/out moves that Morning off the Truck Seat. I suspect it fell out of her Hoodie, and the Diamond 'point' stuck slightly into the Seat. Un_fn_believable! Thank you Zeus! Insured for $13k instead of a more-realistic ~$18k [Thanks Alcohol!], we're having it formally Appraised at a trusted Family Jeweler. Diamond Mount Prongs that loosened from age are being replaced. The Ring is being resized, after being cut off her Finger. A full Ring Remo on this Ring I designed with Lapis Lazuli side 'Inserts'. Then, we'll have a formal Appraisal Doc to confirm Diamond Value. We've polished the proverbial Turd on this whole initial Diamond loss Imbroglio, and created 'good'.

By now, she's over the Moon. We book a familiar, Dog-compatible Motel, and skipped the planned, uneventful drive back to MesaVille until yesterday. Stick a Fork in my Azz, I was done!

Late Night Well Water System Troubleshooting. Trailer Towing/Driving. House Load-Out & Cleaning. House Closing. Spouse Calming. More schitte than I can even detail in this CliffsNotes version of my Tuesday. Absolutely impossible to imagine doing all this if still Drinking.

Oh, and what do I see yesterday Morning about 6 A.M. at that Seattle Coffee Shop Franchise? 4 Wines + 4 Craft Beers on Display inside. Another Sign touted their new Wine Tastings on Tuesday & Thursday Nights. I'm thinking they can all get 'Bent_y' while they hand me my Venti. Cappuccino, that is...

Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

BD84 is in.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You know what they say brain ... if you can't fix it, Duck it.

ScrewdUpInDe wonders if BD84 always refers to him/herself in the third person.

Just playin' BD84 ... welcome.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I do get lonely. I do like staying here but it can be hard coming home to an empty house.
I asked my friend to come over last night - which he did. He stayed the night as well.
My friend at work told me "I was so worried about you on Tuesday. You looked so exhausted. But I'm glad to see that you look better today".
Sometimes it's just nice to fall asleep and hear the snores from the person you care about lying next to you.

I hope your mom gets better soon Jsbodhi
Old 06-02-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Pretty weird week I am having.

Recently (kind of - way-too-long-for recently) I've been feeling under the weather - sometimes under the good weather, sometimes after the bad, but actually never up to the weather.

On Tuesday I was hardly dragged myself around at boxing.

On Wednesday morning I felt so crappy at work and struggled for about an hour to understand one paragraph that I finally got struck by Eureka thought "Why instead of following my regular pattern "suffer and wait what will happen" I would go to the health unit to check my blood pressure.

The doc took my BP - 95/80. That explains my under the weather business.

She questioned me on how much I sleep, what I've been doing recently, etc. Gave me medicine and strongly recommended to get proper sleep and get more rest. "Your body tells you it's tired". Thanks, doc.

And I have free pass on coffee. Felt much better today until I started to beat myself up over past mistakes. It's my addiction I can't live without - and daily dosage is high.

Then a colleague came and said he had bad news. I felt like cynical so dropped "Has anybody died"?
"Yeeeh....Colleague X's wife died today. We are raising money to help him".

I got out my wallet and took out all the cash I had - not awful lot though. I remember one person helped me with expenses for my mother's funerals. At least I had one worry less on that day.

Usually that colleague drops by to pool some money because it's someone's birthday. It irritates hell out of me - I mostly pay for other people's drinks and food , and I am still deep in debts.

The colleague X's wife was just 45. He is almost 20 years her older, and got some health issues himself. And they have a kid somewhat of kindergarten age.

The fund-raising colleague didn't think I was cynical with my opening question though. The conversation went on how much "younger" diseases grew. I never knew this but it turned out that, just like myself, he lost his mother to cancer. and the father too. Probably that's why he took my comment so calmly - he saw his share.

The thought "How happy I am to be alive" didn't cross my mind though. I don't know - am I ungrateful or whatever. Someone else's pain doesn't make me feel more alive or appreciate what I have. I have what I have. Someone else's pain means more darkness in the surrounding world. Just sad.

I've been feeling profoundly indifferent about life for quite a time for now. My "alive" moments happen at boxing.

Just saw this article

Elon Musk believes we are probably characters in some advanced civilization's video game.

Elon Musk believes we are probably characters in some advanced civilization's video game - Vox

Elon Musk is one of those folks I feel deep respect and admiration for. Hell, the guy managed to land the first stage of the rocket back from space on a drone ship, for crying outloud. So, if he believes this...

Ok, whoever is playing the game - please, get my freaking blood pressure up !

Sorry for this "non-weekend-spirit" post. Just suddenly spilled out what I felt.

Jen - Sorry about what happened to your mom. Hope she will get well soon.

Have a nice day, all.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Mesa, I was on the edge of my seat with the diamond story! Wowowowow! Excellent ending!

I'm not going to name names but someone in this house hasn't done their project yet.... Ok it's me.

A buddy called and he is picking me up for lunch and I decided to wear a pretty dress, my little short white cotton with black flowers, plunges down to there and has ruffles and such... I swear I'll do my project after I eat a good lunch in this good weather

You gave me a taste for iced tea, Brain. Also, you are working like a maniac! Be careful with your body. Glad you're having a good time.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hey BD84!

((MB)) The sadness might mean more pain, but by giving what you had to ease this mans burden I believe you offset some of the pain in the world. Light offsets the dark. I believe there is always a balance

Oh Mesa! So glad the diamond was found yay!! About 12 years ago I lost the center diamond out of my engagement ring....only 1.5 carats but it was the sentimental value that made me the saddest. Anyway, we got the stone replaced and life went on.....fast forward a few years and as we were getting rid of old bedroom furniture to make room for new, there on the frame of our bed was the original diamond! Weird cause I had never seen it when changing sheets or the mattress pad! Strange things do happen! Anyway....glad the house sale is done! We missed you!
Xo
Old 06-02-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Sexy summer dresses are my downfall, Melina! Have fun gorgeous!
Old 06-02-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((((Jen))))
Old 06-02-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Do your best

You guys are awesome what I see in this thread fills my heart with joy

My neice got her final uni mark and got a excellent grade my brother turned 18 months today aswell happy doesn't begin to describe how I feel & no migraines today !

a great day
Old 06-02-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well I managed to get some sleep and feel better- just cleaning my house and car, doing laundry and went to the bank for travel medical insurance.
Still not sure if I'm going, probably won't know until I'm actually on the way to the airport- depending on how my mom is.
Gonna drive out there again this evening to see her and have dinner.

I don't like cleaning my house

Will catch up on the thread as I go through this house
Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

USA people.
Dumb question maybe- I can't remember.
Can I buy Aveeno lotion there? If not I'll bring some, I just hate taking stuff and would rather buy there.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hey all.

Mesa, that's quite the story and I'm glad you found the diamond. You're a hero!

Back at my desk. Looking forward to the end of the day.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

aveeno is readily available at any pharmacy/drug store or wally world/most supermarkets

taking a break... I remember talking about those pieces of wood I cut into small lengths... turns out I need them... yeah I need 16 10 inch pieces... don't ask, but it will make it all uniform... I finished the last of the 'construction' part. the next will be for symmetry and to keep the earth off it... cosmetic really... I am sweating like a fool, needed a drink... the hard part is going to be cutting a 45 angle off one inch of each piece... and I have to water the 'grass' I planted 3 or 4 times a day - or it will be like throwing seeds into the wind from the roof... ------- it's only 2 square feet
Old 06-02-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Do your best

#Peakyblinders on bbc2 to my uk folk
Old 06-02-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Just past the 3 week mark sober and getting stronger all the time both mentally and physically . Working my ass off in the garden which is looking great ( LBrain I have 34 tubs ,pots ,baskets loaded with flowers ) . Today I mixed up 2 big batches of concrete to make good an area which was in need of repair, I mixed it the old fashioned way on the ground with a shovel ,no cement mixer for me oh no . It was hard work but very rewarding when I see the end result . Got all my fences ,gates and shed treated with fence treatment x 2 coats , again hard work but I love the end result . Now all the big jobs are done I can slow down and just maintain the grass and weeds . next job which is a pleasure is to fit butterflies ,ladybirds and humming bird ornaments an owl wind chime ,some bunting to spots around the garden . Been getting a little bit of cycling done and the odd swim at the local pool to loosen up my aching joints hopefully .

Needles to say none of the above would have been done had I still been on the skoosh .
Old 06-02-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
#Peakyblinders on bbc2 to my uk folk
Great show SW love it .
Old 06-02-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Jeeez,I must be growing up- on my list of things to do before I leave...
" mail government survey census"