Notices

Stay Sober Here - All welcome - Weekender June 3

Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Well this is sad. My brother is home but I'm in town and my dad is in Dublin.
I think he spent as much time as he could with the inlaws before he went to see mom. He texted me looking for a laptop he gave me years ago. I said I wasn't sure where it is. He wrote "think about it. I could use something to do besides cringe and fight with mom". We spoke about some dinner thing my mom wants to do on Sunday. He wrote "I would like to go to a restaurant but I bet mom wants to cook. Cook up a big pot of guilt and bullying served with a side dish of BS".

She called me 4 times today. I have told her I'm going to bed even though it's only 9:45. I don't know why she can't behave herself. We see my brother once or twice a year at most. And it's obvious that he prefers being with his inlaws.
It's sad really.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

In!
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight all
Old 06-02-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Wow!!! WELCOME to the new faces!!!!! Friday's were always my worst. But I knew if I can get through a Friday then... I can! YOU can!

I had a busy do nothing kind of day. Tomorrow is the last day of vacation. Car service. Rain. Cool. But I am fine with that.

K
Old 06-02-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders BD84 & Thomas59

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Sometimes it's just nice to fall asleep and hear the snores from the person you care about lying next to you.
That feeling doesn't last Tetra, the former Mrs Saoutchik confronted any snoring with extreme prejudice

The soon to be relations have gone - I was correct in my theory that the MIL wants a bigger, flashier wedding. On the plus side they actually seem keen on paying for it (or at least she was) They think it would buy them more influence

The thing is daughter and soon to be son in law have been living together for 6 years and have two children so there is no point in going for some sort of fairytale nonsense.

Basically we left it that if bride and groom wanted more then they could have it but that I wasn't going to try to persuade them. I must say it would be great if they chip in with half the money, the tradition of the brides father paying for it all is long due a change imo lol! (I have 2 daughters)

Edit- well done on finding that diamond MM
Old 06-02-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

No one can tell a story like you, Mesa. Glad all ended well for you and MesaMate. I can imagine how frantic that must have been.

Sao, not that it's any of my biz, but if the couple have been together that long and have two kids, maybe *they* should be footing more of the bill? Just a thought ...

So great to see new names here on the thread. Please stick around so we can get to know you.

Well, the long-awaited report on Prince's death has answered some questions. It was Fentanyl. I first heard about it a long time ago because of an earlier chapter in my career. Good drug, when used appropriately. When not, bad. Addicted physicians and nurses often abuse it. Sad, sad.

Autopsy: Prince died of fentanyl overdose | Minnesota Public Radio News
Old 06-02-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Jen, I hope your mother recovers fully and quickly. I really hope you can take your long-awaited trip.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

sao, that father paying for the wedding thing is a load of crap...
heck, they're already 'married' it's not like days of old... the only way father should pay for the wedding is if the bride is a virgin on her wedding day - end of story.........

Thomas - wow, you are certainly going at it... giving me a run for my money hahaha

well I walked down to the neighbor's and pick up a few pieces of free wood... and I used what crap I had laying around... cut 16 10 inch lengths and a 30 degree 'corner' on them... my shop vac stalled as I was sucking up the sawdust --- stop work criteria for tonight... I will clean the filter in the morning when neighbors are at work and not hoping to grill without my dust blowing their way...

here's the funny of the day... wife looked at it and said, "What are we going to plant in those boxes?" no, nonononononono, nope... them are steps not planting boxes and no we are not going to grow string beans in them... end of discussion now to sculpt the land to it and put in something green...
I see 7 yards of mulch in my future... and 2 tons of pea gravel

and a shower.....................
Old 06-02-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ven - they were set to get married 4 years ago but the the kids came along so it kept getting put off. Compared with what some people splurge they have been quite easy on the wallet really, it's not going to be hundreds of guests and lavish locations. It is more of a tidying up exercise really

Shame about Prince - addiction to opiates seems to be huge and growing. I seriously avoid them and have been fortunate enough not to need them. You would have thought that the scare he had a few weeks before would have made him really careful. Such a waste
Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I had free access to Fentanyl patches during my mom's hospice at home ordeal. I was curious bc I knew it was the "good" stuff. But I didn't know much about it and I was afraid they would just knock me out.

Since I wanted to be drunk and feel drunk, I thought it would be a waste to put a patch on while drinking. And I drank every day. So the patches waited.

I did take a few back home to Chicago. I figured I would experiment at some point while drinking alone. For whatever reason, I never really got past my suspicion of them and I ended up throwing them out.

This would be a very different story right now if I had tried them. I was saved from myself and I don't know how. I've learned a lot about opioid addiction since then and someone close in my life died in February from circumstances related to heroin... Leaving behind three motherless sons.

My intentions were to abuse them from the beginning and I think I would've taken myself straight to hell immediately with all that opioid addiction and seeking entails.

Thank goodness I didn't know how "good" they were, huh. I say that with sarcasm. I'm so so lucky I didn't try them. There but for the grace of God go I, and may Prince rest in peace. Xoxo
Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
sao, that father paying for the wedding thing is a load of crap...
heck, they're already 'married' it's not like days of old... the only way father should pay for the wedding is if the bride is a virgin on her wedding day - end of story.........
Here! Here!

By the way who did call the first ever shotgun - was it you LB?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
You would have thought that the scare he had a few weeks before would have made him really careful.
Cmon, my sweet Sao... you know better than that. He couldn't have been in any capacity to make wise decisions. That poor man. I think the opioid demons are the very worst demons of all the addictions. The deepest tendrils, the madness, being driven against your will, anything to not be dope sick. We are all addicts and we have all suffered but opioid addiction scares me in a way that I am even getting choked up now. I feel so scared and worried for anyone in its grips.

This fear and huge compassion is based on what I saw with the person I know who died and bc of the people's stories in AA with cross addictions.

I used to feel superior to heroin addicts bc I was "just" addicted to alcohol, but now I just want them to get help and I know I'm not better than anyone. My alcoholism saved me from opioid addiction bc I didn't want too much messing with my whisky buzz.

UGH! Eff addiction!! May all my fellow suffering addicts find their way to health, peace and freedom, that is my prayer right now.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

When I had dental surgery some time back (pre-sobriety), I was prescribed a whole menu of opiate painkillers. They were helpful and effective but I also had a dawning awareness of what a "good" addict I have the potential to be. I took painkillers after I needed them for the high. Scary, scary, scary.

I'd like to think (hope?) that there's greater awareness now and I wouldn't be prescribed the same drugs. Hard to say.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Basically we left it that if bride and groom wanted more then they could have it but that I wasn't going to try to persuade them. I must say it would be great if they chip in with half the money, the tradition of the brides father paying for it all is long due a change imo lol! (I have 2 daughters)
Hey, I think there's a British precedent for the groom's parents picking up the tab!

Old 06-02-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

-The Cost Of Weddings In Japan -

110 Yen to 1 USD.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Hey, I think there's a British precedent for the groom's parents picking up the tab!

They are paid for by the taxpayer Ven so I paid for that one too (more or less)
Old 06-02-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
I think the opioid demons are the very worst demons of all the addictions. The deepest tendrils, the madness, being driven against your will, anything to not be dope sick.
I can personally attest to this. Thank God I found my way out.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

They are paid for by the taxpayer Ven so I paid for that one too (more or less)
Yes, true.

I took the day off from work so I could watch everything. I remember one of the dimmer observations from a U.S. television announcer (and there are plenty of them) was that the "nice-looking lady" in the car with Kate and her father "must be one of her girlfriends." All I could think was "no, you nitwit, she is undoubtedly one of the toughest MI6 agents, male or female, all dressed up for the occasion, with accessories we'll never see."

Still ... it was a sweet event to watch. Thanks for helping foot the bill, Sao. (Small comfort, I know.)
Old 06-02-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

So, are we all invited to this lavish bash Sao is laying on? I'll dust off my tuxedo and my best Hugh Grant impression.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hear! Hear!

By the way who did call the first ever shotgun - was it you LB?
that would be a correct assumption ... I started that nonsense... I'm pretty sure...

today's amazing true fact: I can take two showers in one day and thoroughly scrub from head to toe and still use less water than my wife does for one shower.
Made myself a cheeseburger. Was so good I made another. Of course now that we are out of deer meat, it's cow season - but I do have a little left in the kitchen freezer. And ribs... never had deer ribs, they look good vacuum sealed and frozen.

Ven, I started to feel it in my right shoulder when driving spikes today. Interesting because I was alternating hands that I held the hammer, but I did favor the right side 3/4 of time. I'm going to be driving in 16 more spikes tomorrow...
Then rebar for the border around the lower yard -- why not, I'm on a roll...

I guess ice cream wouldn't hurt after a bit of tidying up in the yard.

Shame for Prince. I do know that after my sinus and septum surgery
back in 98 or 99, the pain was so bad I couldn't lie down. I slept upright - propped up with pillows. And I'd start my day off with a couple oxys - the big ones - and a bottle of wine. I was getting tuned up good. But after I started feeling better I quit taking the pills. Weird I suppose. Was never a pill or 'drug' guy. But don't leave an open bottle laying around or it would get short in no time.

just thought of something, a couple years ago my wife got rid of a bottle of 60 vicodin or something similar I had in the cabinet... she said, "these are old" and dumped them...

Last edited by LBrain; 06-02-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: pills