Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 05-28-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Well the bbq is all set the salad is made the kebab is ready for the spit and I have loads of lemonade to get through. Here we go!! Deep breaths.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Well the bbq is all set the salad is made the kebab is ready for the spit and I have loads of lemonade to get through. Here we go!! Deep breaths.
You can do it Ben! 😊
Old 05-28-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

First counseling session today. Long time coming and I'm looking forward to it. I've searched high and low for a good therapist. The first one I found moved to Washington state after about 4 months and I just gave up. Started up again with a great person and (this is totally my luck, not telling you this as a woe is me) the day my father died I called her because it was our scheduled day of the week. I leave a message that I won'g be able to make it. She calls me back to tell me that she hates the insurance billing piece so she's moving to another job at a youth center. There went that.

Fast forward a few years and I realize I need this. So I seek out another and go to my first session. About 45 minutes into it she starts looking at her watch every 5 seconds and I'm not exaggerating. Done there.

The person who I'm going to is highly recommended and I'm looking forward to it.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I drank last night, and now regret it. It was Friday, wife was at work, and kids were doing their thing. It seemed like a good idea with a thought to stick to two beers. Needless to say, they are all gone this morning (I went over my limit, but also poured the rest out this morning).

It is time to find a therapist and start working on this. My only hesitation, is that the last time I tried a therapist he was a real dud. I listed "drinking" as a chief concern and after three visits he didn't discuss it once. The real killer is that in the middle of our second visit he took a phone call! This is a small town, so options are limited.

The worst thing is that I am noticing that drinking makes me really emotional now, and usually the sad pathetic ones.

Anyway, I am back and look forward to a sober day.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I drank last night, and now regret it. It was Friday, wife was at work, and kids were doing their thing. It seemed like a good idea with a thought to stick to two beers. Needless to say, they are all gone this morning (I went over my limit, but also poured the rest out this morning).

It is time to find a therapist and start working on this. My only hesitation, is that the last time I tried a therapist he was a real dud. I listed "drinking" as a chief concern and after three visits he didn't discuss it once. The real killer is that in the middle of our second visit he took a phone call! This is a small town, so options are limited.

The worst thing is that I am noticing that drinking makes me really emotional now, and usually the sad pathetic ones.

Anyway, I am back and look forward to a sober day.
jazzfish, do not give up! When looking for a counselor did you seek out those for alcohol addiction? I know you're in a small town but there has to be someone? The one I mentioned who kept looking at her watch wasn't and sounds much like your person who answered the phone. How rude!!!!!

Please, don't give up. When I was working with the two that I found that were great we were really making some great progress until they had to leave for various reasons.

It was enlightening and very helpful to sit and talk with people who were completely unbiased and who understood our world.

Is there anyone in surrounding towns that you can look up and are able to get to?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
How rude!!!!!
Rude and unprofessional, which completely destroyed my trust in him and any credibility they might have had.

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Is there anyone in surrounding towns that you can look up and are able to get to?
I am close to large city which I am sure has a ton of good counselors, but it makes it more difficult and expensive to do. I won't give up though. There are still options to explore.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Simplicity your message to me touched me very much and I love the way you find time to send your thoughts out to each individual in our group. Yesterday I encountered four kind people just by stepping outside of my self imposed exile. Two people stopped to admire a gigantic rose bush in my yard. It's truly spectacular when in full bloom which it isn't yet. A woman I encounter occasionally in my neighborhood riding her scooter with her tiny rescue dog introduced me to her dog and asked if I could use a walker. My knees were hurting yesterday. A gentleman stopped to thank me for the free things I leave out at the curb especially the books. A man I met once on the bus system saved me from a sudden downpour when I was a block from home. It's a good lesson. What we need is people, plain and simple.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

I am laying here hungover and scared. I can't beleive I drank last night and I just can't believe where my drinking has escalated to. Everytime I drink now I drink way too much. In the past month I have had 3 really bad hangovers, like really bad. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night throwing up and dripping with sweat. It was so scary! My body and mind both know I cannot drink and yet my alcoholic side keeps winning and I am so scared. I just want to stay sober. I've done it before and yet this time I have been trying for over a year now to get sober. I seem to be able to get sober for a week, or a month, sometimes even a couple months. But then I always drink. And now in this last month I can't even get sober much less stay sober. I feel like I'm on some sort of crazy train heading for destruction. I need help and I don't know what to do.
I know it's late in the month but may I join this group?
Old 05-28-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Good morning all!
Kind of went AWOL yesterday. I decided to unplug myself-- turned my phone off, tablet and laptop were off, and spent the day relaxing, and resting.
Now on to Saturday. First year ever I am not spending the weekend with friends and family at our place up north-- I decided not to go since the entire weekend is drinking and eating badly. I have done well with not doing both for almost 3 weeks now and I am not about to wreck it, or be tempted. Its better this way.
Not sure what I will end up doing but for now, the coffee on the patio is feeling good!
Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 05-28-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome

Enjoy your bbq today and the lemonade Ben

Good luck with your counseling session today LadyBlue, I hope it goes well.

Good job pouring the rest out jazzfish. Today is a new day.

Welcome kgirl . I can relate to your post so much. All I know is what I have been told which is to post before you take the first drink and let us help. Take care of yourself today.

It is early here, early for me anyway not quite 8am and I think I am going back to bed for a couple of hours. No plans today, which I am happy about. I am looking forward to a quiet, relaxing day. I have stocked up on tea, water & Minute Maid Lite Limeade (so good ) so I have lots here to drink and no alcohol.

Enjoy your day everyone
Old 05-28-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Morning of Day 28 here...checking in on another Saturday morning hangover free. Feels great! Sounds like everyone is doing well this morning and have some good beverages and plans to get them through the day. We can do this!!

Glad you posted so soon after drinking Jazzfish and realize your mistake. I think to fall down is fairly inevitable sometimes but it's how you get back up and the length of time you stay down that's really important.

Welcome aboard kgirl...glad to have you and post as much as you need to. We are here to help!!
Old 05-28-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Welcome kgirl. You have found a lovely place with lovely people. I know you're terrified and low but just try it for today and get through it hour by hour. You are amongst friends here 😊

Also there will be people out there reading and not daring to post. Please do if you can it really does help and the more the merrier between now and the and of the month.

I wish you all a lovely weekend and if you're struggling or in pain please share. I and others will be here for you 😊
Old 05-28-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Another welcome, kgirl; it's what we do here! We all look forward to hearing more about your awesome decision to ditch the alcohol; it's the best thing any of us have done for ourselves, and you've joined a very supportive little group just by posting once. You're one of US now (sinister laugh, bwaa-ha-ha...)

I'm busy imagining Ben's fabulous BBQ with friends and lemonade...

I'm very happy that Jazzfish came back so quickly to share and receive some Mayfly love!

Especially happy to read me some Wombat; your writing style delights me, for some reason. I love hearing stories of caring interaction with neighborhood people, it supports my belief that most humans are genuinely good, even when the bad and evil ones get all the media attention.

Today I'll be on the shore of Lake Michigan, visiting a local Petoskey Stone Festival...google them if you're bored, they're our state rock (I guess every US state gets their own rock?) and they're fairly unique to our area. And there will be food vendors!! And no beer tent!!

Happy sober weekend, dear friends--watch out for flying AVs! Arp
Old 05-28-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Good morning all!day 30 is here! Longest I have been sober. It feels great. I'm drinking my morning smoothie and coffee. Then lunch with my mom later. Hubby will be home later from working all night so I look forward to a wonderful evening with him.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
Simplicity your message to me touched me very much and I love the way you find time to send your thoughts out to each individual in our group. Yesterday I encountered four kind people just by stepping outside of my self imposed exile. Two people stopped to admire a gigantic rose bush in my yard. It's truly spectacular when in full bloom which it isn't yet. A woman I encounter occasionally in my neighborhood riding her scooter with her tiny rescue dog introduced me to her dog and asked if I could use a walker. My knees were hurting yesterday. A gentleman stopped to thank me for the free things I leave out at the curb especially the books. A man I met once on the bus system saved me from a sudden downpour when I was a block from home. It's a good lesson. What we need is people, plain and simple.
Great to hear you so positive Wombat and glad you got out and about!!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Arp--- Oh. my. Petoskey, MI. I lived there for years after high school. I LOVED it there. I so remember all of the good times and great people I met there. Winters could be rough, but the summers were so much more beautiful then Milwaukee!!! Enjoy the festival today!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Good morning, I hope you are all having a good weekend. Day 21 for me and this is my first day I won't have my daughter which will make it tempting to drink. I don't have many good options to keep me busy, at least nothing right now that is enticing.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SickOfIt79 View Post
Good morning, I hope you are all having a good weekend. Day 21 for me and this is my first day I won't have my daughter which will make it tempting to drink. I don't have many good options to keep me busy, at least nothing right now that is enticing.
Well you're here which is a great start to your day. I am child free twice a week and it is extra hard I get it. Be kind to yourself and keep checking in with us.

Oh and 21 days is amazing!!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Afternoon Mayflies! Just a quick check in! Today is Day 30 and I'm excited to beat my old record! Grandson is back in the arms of his loving mother and I have a free afternoon!!! I should probably clean the house but I will probably enjoy the sunshine instead! Wishing everyone a sweet sober day!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Phew...close one today. I actually was in the supermarket and had a 2 litre of coke zero in my hand....then madness suddenly overtook me and I thought "why not ? I'll get a bottle of whisky and go to the bbq I've been invited to. I am feeling so good today and I dont see the reason to always have to discipline myself"....I walked and put the coke back and then luckily a moment of clarity on my way to the bottle store...What is going to be so different about being drunk tonight ? What about it will be real, other than the fact Ill almost certainly undo all the good work of the past 3 weeks and be back to daily drinking?

Meh...I went back and got the coke("a cola" cynical people) and now I'm chilling at home watching downton Abbey(which has become my man points ruining, guilty pleasure) and drinking rooibos tea. All which may seem rather dull, but it prefrable to the anxiety and existential dread that would have awaited my tomorrow morning. And all in all quite pleasant to be honest.