Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 06-05-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Coincidentally I saw two movies almost back to back featuring alcoholism breaking up relationships but they both had positive endings. One was the only movie I've ever liked Will Ferrell in called "Everything Must Go." The other starring Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley is called "Begin Again." Neither is very realistic about the detox process but they are both enjoyable movies. Don't ever rewatch "The Days of Wine and Roses" though as I recently did.
The Horror! The Horror!
Old 06-05-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Good to hear everyone hanging in this morning. Sending some renewed energy to those who have had to go out and fight and came home sober. I can't imagine having to be around alcohol and saying no, so for me I am avoiding anything associated with it (fortunately for my introverted, stay at home gypsy personality this is what is going on so far). I know at some point I am going to be around it, but worries for that when it happens. I drank mostly at home the last 15 so I wage war with the AV at weird times anyway.
ben..... almost every one of my relationships was steeped in alcohol. I'm glad to be single now and not in one of them. I guess that question of getting out is a natural one if your spouse is still in that cycle of drinking.
I started reading a book last nite "The Dead Student" and the main character, Moth (short for Timothy) is an alcoholic. It starts off with a HUGE craving for him and he calls his uncle to go to an AA mtg... his uncle doesn't show, due to his being dead. Timothy goes on a bender and then comes back to his apt having no clue of what all he did on the bender. That is where I'm at right now. It will be interesting to see if he stays sober or if the author just used that to get the story going and drops it.
Happy Sunday everyone
Old 06-05-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!
What a beautiful feeling to wake up on Sunday, not hung over, the smell of fresh hot coffee and a nice summer breeze coming in off the lake!
I ended up meeting some friends out last night to see a local band at an outdoor festival. Thinking I'd be safe there, since the people I was with weren't really "drinkers", and I wouldn't be tempted by drinking beer or wine coolers. ( not my drink of choice), I was definitely mistaken very quickly. The whole park was full of people who had been drinking all day, and were "hammered". People pushing, shoving, etc. I soon realized this was not going to end well for me, and thankfully had my own car. I left soon after and while I felt bad for ditching my friends, I just couldn't be around that. Not because I would be tempted to drink, but because I just didn't want to be around it.
So, on to my Sunday funday!!! Today is my great nieces dance recital. She is the biggest ham ever, so I am anxious to see her "hip hop" routine, and after dinner with the fam!
A nice day to end the weekend! Hope you all have a wonderful and sober Sunday!
--Camery
Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Camery - I guess being sober allows us to see an honestly good time vs stumbling around and bragging the next day about how much fun we had.
I've thought and I don't know of any of the people I hung around in a bar that I would truly be interested in sober. Great post!
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please continue:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5985333