Notices

New but Old

Old 03-21-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I remember you from before and it's good to see you again.
I recall you really wanted to have lots of quality time with your grandchildren.

That's what sobriety will really make possible.
Wonderful memories for all of you.
That's a good motivator!
Welcome back
Old 03-21-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Hawkeye . It has been a bumpy few years. Ups and downs but mostly downs. I am tired of this way of living
Old 03-21-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You okay tonight?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My head is totally pounding and wanting relief but not going down that road and I know I am not going to be able to sleep tonight. But I eventually will sleep. Thank you for asking. I'm just a little jittery and my head is not feeling so great right now.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You're doing fine...first couple of nights can be rough, though. Is there someone you can call if you start feeling really ill?

Warm milk sometimes helps...it's got protein to help your blood sugar plus some calcium to help you sleep. Peanut butter toast is good, too. Can you call in sick tomorrow if you need to?

This is your Day One, right? Good for you!!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I apologize for my state of crabbiness lol
Old 03-21-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh, honey...that's not even close to crabby...

We all get it, so vent away.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The warm milk sounds wonderful. My stomach isn't feeling so well either so maybe that will settle it down some too.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My son and his family live with me , So I am not alone. I work crazy hours. I am the manager so I have to be there most of the time. My one night off is on Wednesdays. And I am so looking forward to that.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The AV would love to convince you it's too late. Don't listen. Busy yourself and engage your brain in something alternative. This is a brain disease that affects the body and soul. There are a lot of healthy alternative things for the brain to engage in and the body and soul will benefit from that. Surely there is something you LOVE to do besides drink?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
The AV would love to convince you it's too late. Don't listen. Busy yourself and engage your brain in something alternative. This is a brain disease that affects the body and soul. There are a lot of healthy alternative things for the brain to engage in and the body and soul will benefit from that. Surely there is something you LOVE to do besides drink?
Before the excessive drinking and weight gain I loved to ride my bike. I used to go on 30 mile tours and love walking trails. Haven't felt like it in a long time
Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well see-the nice thing about walking is that it begins with one step. Then keep puttin' one foot in front of the other and keep it going. Before you know it, you've had yourself a good walk. As you walk, breathe in love and exhale fear and meditate like that. Great way to ease work stress and weariness. I know I know, a lot of people get into a habit of drinkin after work. Time to change habits and habits are sometimes hard to break, but break them we must. Change your habits>>change your brain>> change your life.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My problem with walking after work instead of drinking is that I get off a lot of times at 9 or 10 o'clock and on the weekends I get off at midnight or later. So I have to think of something to occupy me when I get off work. Because I'm usually wired and need to calm down and get the stress relieved. I have been trying to think of things. I know reading helps me to relax and sleep.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Music, a long hot shower...I'm also a big reader and I read lots of books about addiction. If you're on Amazon Prime there are a lot of books available there.

Right now my favorite is "A Sober Year: Daily Musings on an Alcohol-Free Life" by Meredith Bell.

You'll be amazed how much more enjoyable reading is when you actually remember what you read and don't fall asleep with a tablet on your face!

Day two for you, woohoo! (a poem )
Old 03-22-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hosea57 View Post
That Is part of my problem. I fear what I have already done to my body and use the excuse it is probably too late now. I know it is a stupid rationalization but I use any excuse to drink. I have come to the point of crying on the way to get alcohol. I know I can stop this destruction to my life and my body. I just have to have hope and determination. Thank you so much for your post. It is helpful to see someone my age here to talk to.
You are still young! My 80 y.o. dad is recovering from quintuple bypass. Went home after 4 days and has been driving and traveling again 4-5 weeks later. Makes me realize how resilient the body is, even when we are older. He was a heavy drinker up until about 50. Anyway, it's never too late. Either you'll be sicker at 60 or you'll feel a lot better than you do now! Choose better!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Music, a long hot shower...I'm also a big reader and I read lots of books about addiction. If you're on Amazon Prime there are a lot of books available there.

Right now my favorite is "A Sober Year: Daily Musings on an Alcohol-Free Life" by Meredith Bell.

You'll be amazed how much more enjoyable reading is when you actually remember what you read and don't fall asleep with a tablet on your face!

Day two for you, woohoo! (a poem )
Yes! Day2. I did recently get Amazon prime. I am loving it. I will look that book up that you mentioned. I actually slept well last night. I went to sleep reading here LOL
Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
You are still young! My 80 y.o. dad is recovering from quintuple bypass. Went home after 4 days and has been driving and traveling again 4-5 weeks later. Makes me realize how resilient the body is, even when we are older. He was a heavy drinker up until about 50. Anyway, it's never too late. Either you'll be sicker at 60 or you'll feel a lot better than you do now! Choose better!
Thank you Yinzer! Your dad sounds amazing. And you are so right. In 2 years I will be 60 I can either be sicker and leading a non-productive life or I can be feeling better and doing what I love to do.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 2
Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you Soberwolf !
Old 03-22-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Hosea! Two days sober is really awesome! How about joining the 24-hour club?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5864154