Notices

New but Old

Old 03-21-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New but Old

I had joined here 4 years ago sad to say I didn't stay long. So here I am 4 years later with the same alcohol problem and scared to death. I am a 58 yr old grandmother who works long hours and who has tried over and over to quit. The longest I have made it is a month. I lie to myself on a daily basis that I can do this by myself. I know I can't. I seek help. I seek hope.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Asking for help is an important step towards recovery. Wise choice to come here, we'll help you in any way we can. Welcome back.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back!! I highly suggest AA. AA has helped keep me sober. You can do this!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome back,

I always thought I could stop drinking when I wanted to - big surprise, I couldn't. It's the most awful feeling of being out of control, isn't it? We do understand how hard this is and I know you will always find support and hope here. Please continue to read and post and be inspired.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I intend to spend a lot of time reading and trying to find my way. It is a horrible feeling not being in control
Old 03-21-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I first joined here about a month after you, and the. Didn't pay attention again until October of 2012, I made it to 90 days and then decided that one glass of wine would be fine, this led to three years of alternating between periods of sobriety and periods of attempting to moderate.

On New Years Eve I made a promise to myself that I was done and today marks 81 days for me. I am creeping up on that 90 day mark where I became complacent before, this time I know I can't donit through, or I will end up back in the cycle, which is not where I want to be.

You will find lots of inspiration on here, and you can do this!! Looking forward to seeing you on here each day!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 03-21-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome back! I first joined here about a month after you, and the. Didn't pay attention again until October of 2012, I made it to 90 days and then decided that one glass of wine would be fine, this led to three years of alternating between periods of sobriety and periods of attempting to moderate.

On New Years Eve I made a promise to myself that I was done and today marks 81 days for me. I am creeping up on that 90 day mark where I became complacent before, this time I know I can't donit through, or I will end up back in the cycle, which is not where I want to be.

You will find lots of inspiration on here, and you can do this!! Looking forward to seeing you on here each day!!

❤️ Delilah
Thank you so much! I always think I can go back to that glass of wine with no problem. I actually know it to be false but I do it every time. I don't want to live this way.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm about your age and honey, we're running out of time to be kidding ourselves. Alcohol is affecting us in ways we don't even know about...it degrades so many vitally important body parts and processes...heart, pancreas, liver, digestive tract, gallbladder, thyroid, cognition, memory, coordination, balance, sleep, immune system...on and on. All things that are more vulnerable now anyway, due to aging.

It's too easy to say, oh, had a stressful day, I'll quit later...but we're running out of "laters."

Get all of the booze out of the house and if your pattern is to go home after work and drink, don't go home. Go to the gym, a library, window shop, eat dinner at a food truck without a liquor license, hit up a bookstore, anything to reduce the cues that support the habit. Once you have a few sober days, it becomes possible, and then you build from there.

You can do this.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I'm about your age and honey, we're running out of time to be kidding ourselves. Alcohol is affecting us in ways we don't even know about...it degrades so many vitally important body parts and processes...heart, pancreas, liver, digestive tract, gallbladder, thyroid, cognition, memory, coordination, balance, sleep, immune system...on and on. All things that are more vulnerable now anyway, due to aging.

It's too easy to say, oh, had a stressful day, I'll quit later...but we're running out of "laters."

Get all of the booze out of the house and if your pattern is to go home after work and drink, don't go home. Go to the gym, a library, window shop, eat dinner at a food truck without a liquor license, hit up a bookstore, anything to reduce the cues that support the habit. Once you have a few sober days, it becomes possible, and then you build from there.

You can do this.
That Is part of my problem. I fear what I have already done to my body and use the excuse it is probably too late now. I know it is a stupid rationalization but I use any excuse to drink. I have come to the point of crying on the way to get alcohol. I know I can stop this destruction to my life and my body. I just have to have hope and determination. Thank you so much for your post. It is helpful to see someone my age here to talk to.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sending you a hug...

It's never too late to quit until we're dead or hospitalized...and then we'd be quitting anyway

I just refuse to spend whatever time I have left getting over a hangover and wishing the day away so that wine o'clock will roll around. Not to mention the expense! I have a great app that counts days sober and money saved, and it's up over $500 and I'm only on day 80.

Have you considered rehab? I have promised myself that if I can't last this time, I'm going to go.

You're among friends and there's always someone around...ask for help when you need it?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Right up there with you. It's amazing the way our bodies can heal when we stop putting the poison in. There are so many inspiring people on this website. I hope you find what you need to get over the hump.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back, hosea57. I hope you'll join us in the Class of March 2016 thread on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also new to sobriety.

Congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Ariesagain. I sure don't want to keep losing time I could be spending w my grandkids and I love my job and it is starting to interfere. I have considered rehab and like you if I don't make it this time I am going to find a way to go.
I am going to check that app out ! I know I will be kicking myself for all the money and time I have wasted but I need to look at what I will be saving !
Old 03-21-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Right up there with you. It's amazing the way our bodies can heal when we stop putting the poison in. There are so many inspiring people on this website. I hope you find what you need to get over the hump.
Thank you ! I am going to try to read as much as I can and keep my brain in the right direction
Old 03-21-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Welcome back, hosea57. I hope you'll join us in the Class of March 2016 thread on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also new to sobriety.

Congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery.
Thank you so much ! I will look for the thread. I am feeling more positive already but it is almost scary to think I might actually be able to make it
Old 03-21-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back I'm really glad your here with us

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you Soberwolf !
Old 03-21-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM