Notices

New but Old

Old 03-22-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thank you Coldfusion !
Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Hosea57,

It's good that you recognize that you can't do this on your own. For your reaching out. I came to this same conclusion.

I had to give up the idea that I could control my intake. That it controlled me. This feeling of being out of control was more then uncomfortable. It's truly robbing me of everything good in life and those I love...

Can you speak to your Dr for help? Or an alternative medical Dr.
Can you ask for support from your family that's living with you?

We all understand how hard and even scary this can be. Anxiety, stress is something we can work on together. If it's part of what you need to be free and recover?

I'm also in my fifties. So recovery is slower. I accept this. I listen to gentle music, read here & am drinking caffeine free tea at night. Learning to meditate. Pray. Learning to love myself. Filling that void by just accepting who I am. Warts and all.

We are all worth living a life of sobriety and recovery. You can do this!... :hugs:
Old 03-22-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Renew
Thank you so much for your post for your encouragement, and your support.
It has been really hard for me to give up the ideas that I can control my drinking. I am a control freak to begin with so that part has been really really hard. But that is why have failed so many times. Because I think I can handle it.
I have been to a doctor to get help and medication. What I found out about myself is that I will take the medication and still drink. And that is very dangerous and I was worried I was going to end up killing myself that way. So I stopped.
I deal with a lot of stress and exciting from my job much less from my drinking. So yes it is a big part of what goes on with me.
I do have my son and his family living with me. And he is a big supporter and he is great to talk to and understand my problems. I can actually count on him for anything.
I am going to work on loving myself. I have a real hard time with that one. LOL but thank you again for your support.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It's nice that you have your son to support you. I have my husband who is supporting me since he finally realized I was killing myself. Support at home is a big help and not everyone has it. Take advantage of it and make your son proud! I think some of us don't love ourselves and maybe that's why we started drinking in the first place. I'm also a control freak and now I'm controlling my NON drinking and my good health! I spent 35 years drinking and am trying to sober up in my 50s. There are so many things to do and experience out there and I want to travel and hike and bike rather than die of cirrhosis or falling down the stairs.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good morning on your day three!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
It's nice that you have your son to support you. I have my husband who is supporting me since he finally realized I was killing myself. Support at home is a big help and not everyone has it. Take advantage of it and make your son proud! I think some of us don't love ourselves and maybe that's why we started drinking in the first place. I'm also a control freak and now I'm controlling my NON drinking and my good health! I spent 35 years drinking and am trying to sober up in my 50s. There are so many things to do and experience out there and I want to travel and hike and bike rather than die of cirrhosis or falling down the stairs.
What an excellent way to look at it! Since I love controlling I can look at it as I'm controlling my nondrinking and my health.
Early mornings and late at night are my worst times. This morning I kept thinking how my going to face never drinking again. But then I need to look at it as think of how good I will feel not drinking. And how more in control I will be. Because I was never in control with the heavy drinking.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Good morning on your day three!
Good morning! Day three for me has so many times be the day I failed. I'm going to stay busy all day today and keep my mind occupied. Because it is also my day off. I plan on reading in a book that I have started called seven days sober. I believe it's going to be of a help to me to make it through these first seven days.
And more importantly I intend on spending a lot of time here.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That's a good one...another really good book that addresses alcohol in terms of biochemistry is by Annie Grace, it's called "This Naked Mind." I think that it might resonate with you, because it's about how alcohol (aided and abetted by society and the beverage industry) highjacks our brains and takes over, all the while convincing us that we are in control, we're just bad weak people, when in fact we're being controlled by a first class addictive chemical. Since you're a control kind of girl, that one oughta get you fighting back...it did me!

Oh, and buy ice cream. There isn't a wine in the world that tastes good with ice cream!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thank you! I will definitely find that book and read it. And you're right about the wine and ice cream. I can't imagine the two together so I definitely need some ice cream. LOL