Notices

Why Is It Not Okay...

Old 03-01-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Stevie,

Just a minor point about your posts. You keep referring to addictive voice as another excuse people use to drink. The term Addictive Voice is used in AVRT, and is meant to refer to all those excuses your brain makes (I'm not a neuroscientist so can't tell you which specific part it comes from, but essentially the more primitive part of the brain), and AVRT's aim is to help people recognise when they're making excuses, because the decision to pick up a drink is their own, their Addictive Voice does not have that power to physically pour a drink.

Some people find it helpful to visualise that Addictive Voice as a beast, or a witch, or anything else that helps them realise when they're making excuses, and that they don't have to listen to those excuses even though the actual voice they're hearing those thoughts expressed in is their own.

I believe this fits with the point you're making, but I'm just a bit worried your posts might come off as dismissing the AVRT approach as well, which I found very helpful for me when I quit 9 months ago.

On a separate point, I would tend to agree with Dee that while tough love obviously worked for you, and I get that what you're doing is coming from a place of wanting to help, it doesn't work on everyone, can actually be very harmful for some more vulnerable people, and I would suggest is particularly risky in a written form like here where it's very, very hard to gauge the tone that the words are coming from, or that they're being received in the way intended.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi Open Tuning .

No I certainly do not dismiss anything about AVRT or any other agency outside of AA I say whatever works then go for it by all means , no one can be 100% accurate in their manner of posting on an open forum , if one person gets hope out of anything I say or propose then that is worthwhile , bars and nightclubs can be very harsh as are some of the people who inhabit them, and people come through these experiences and survive , yet some in the minority can be very sensitive and easily hurt , that's a fact , so do we just look out for ourselves and say I am alright Jack ? take care.

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .

if a man hears a different drummer ? let him march to the drum he hears .
Old 03-01-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stevie, what we do in the Newcomers Forum is follow our Mandate:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential.

Telling someone to 'grow up and get on with it' is not respectful. So, while some members offer a more gentle response, and others are more to the point, we only allow respectful comments. This may be the first experience a poster has had with our boards and we do need to remember that the newbie could be vulnerable and scared.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Okay Anna I will respectfully keep it simple and cease posting in this forum as I would find it somewhat difficult to restrain my natural instinct in reaching out, no offense taken .
Regards Stevie .
Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reaching out is always welcomed and appreciated. It's what we do here.

In this Forum, we always place the care of the Newcomers above all else. Dee and I want each and every newbie to have a positive experience when they begin reading this forum.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

<edited, superceded by events>
Old 03-01-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Hi Fatbat , I understand what you are saying , to me for an alcoholic to fall back into old habits is a matter of life and death alcohol kills people causes destruction growing up and toughening up in relation to sobriety are essential if one wants to remain sober and grow in strength into peace of mind whilst being sober , we all have adversity in life some harder than others , so in my way of thinking we need to ensure and be able to have a built in defence of not lifting a drink no matter what no matter the circumstance ,we need to grow up emotionally (feelings ) and toughen up inner strength in order to go though life alcoholic or not , I am not a cold or harsh person I care very much about sobriety , I care for other people trying to stay or get sober , reality must be faced , fact is stressors , triggers , addictive voices , urges , if one dwells on them long enough the alcoholic will drink again and use those occurrences as an excuse for doing so , sometimes we don't want to hear things but soft soaping and mollycoddling and petted lips are not helpful , in fact they have the opposite effect , I remember folks saying'' the quicker you grow up the better '' take care.

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .
What a great word, "mollycoddling" I will never remember it but I love it. I was raised by fire and brimstone AAers and you may be assured I was not mollycoddled
Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to admit I'm irked by this thread now.

If I was a newcomer and I checked on this thread first I might get the idea that this is an AA centric forum...or an anti AA one.

I don't believe either perception is true. We aim to be open to each and every method of recovery.

I might also get the idea that the forum moderation here is excessive, biased and punitive.
That, hand on heart, is not true either.

There's so many other threads, so many other people needing help - and yet we insist on resurrecting this one from page 3 of the forum

Is there really a viewpoint that hasn't been presented or canvassed yet?

D
Old 03-01-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Close the thread? You have the power.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

This thread should probably be moved. It's covering things not germane to someone new in recovery. When I quit drinking around 80 days ago I was very fragile and easy to took to any suggestion. If someone told me to my face I was weak or emotional immature I might have reacted poorly. I laugh and smile a lot but may have a touch of PTSD from being rocketed hundreds of times- its exciting and thus enjoyable. I've smiled and laughed at far worse but I digress. My point is some people need a little hand holding/mollycoddling and it's really hard to guess which ones. You don't know their history.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
... Dee and I want each and every newbie to have a positive experience when they begin reading this forum.
Thank you, Anna. You and Dee do a great job making people feel welcome and not feel judged when we are at our most vulnerable.

Delfin
Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
Close the thread? You have the power.
No I don't really -and thats the point I've been trying to make.

We moderate by a set of rules - there's no rule that says close threads when D gets irked, lol.

D
Old 03-01-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

'Dee and I want each and every newbie to have a positive experience when they begin reading this forum'.

Ok. Referencing Anna's Statement above, how about:

'This Thread is now at variance with published Forum Objectives, and has been closed'.

Internet Bandwidth will be conserved, and a dead Horse could now be respectfully interred.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

This thread should probably be moved. It's covering things not germane to someone new in recovery.
I agree with Chr . Those kind of ardent discussions are generally in the alcoholism subforum. I enjoy those but in their proper section.
Think about how confusing this thread might be to someone who is new and badly hungover. That person might think that SR is like that "unnamed" website where all people do is argue and where (in my opinion) 80% of the blog comments are made by people who are either in their cups or need anger management.
I really don't feel newcomers should be a hang out place for the debate team.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the input guys but we simply can't moderate by popular opinion.
That's why we have the rules, to be as fair as we possibly can..

The threads specifically about the Newcomers forum...no rules have been broken so far... so it stays put.

Dee
SR