Notices

Hello/introduction

Old 02-29-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello/introduction

Hello. Well, I am not really sure where exactly all this is going. I enjoy drinking and am wondering if I am an habitual drinker or an alcoholic. I have been a heavy drinker for most of my adult life with long intervals in between where the circumstances curbed my heavy drinking--ie. school or relationships. For the past year I have been on a tear. I left an old relationship and got into a new one and am now married with a whole lot of guilt about the last relationship. Oh, no reason to go into all of it except that I feel completely off balance and crazy. Alcohol helps and it doesn't. That's probably not an unfamiliar statement. Don't look forward to not being able to go out for a beer (though that is few and far between compared to how much I stay in and get loaded).
I fear if I don't do something about this I will destroy my existing relationship, so I guess I better get the show on the road. But, mostly, I want clarity for myself and some peace of spirit and mind.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If alcohol is causing problems, it's best to quit drinking. I gave it up over six years ago and my life is the best it's ever been.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, kellicrow. As least already said, if alcohol is causing a problem in your life, it's best to give it up.

I adore sobriety!!!!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about whether you call yourself an habitual drinker or an alcoholic. Does alcohol cause problems in your life? If so, then stopping drinking is the answer. You will find lots of support here.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Welcome to SR! Making a first post here is usually a good indicator to yourself that you need to get it under control.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. Very practical advice!!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome, kellicrow. Yep, the advice is practical but, it does get deeper when you start to think about why you drink in the first place. But for now it is great to have you here posting. Keep in touch. It really is a great place to express yourself without any judgement and lots of support.♡CR
Old 02-29-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kellicrow!!
Old 02-29-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you found the forum. Agree to read up on all the great information here. I am 14 days in and this site as been a wonderful resource!
Old 02-29-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kellicrow

I agree with the others - if you've been on a tear for a year, chances are your drinking is problematic,

You'll find a ton of support and good ideas here

D
Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome

Some useful links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 03-01-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your welcoming comments. I will check out all the resources. It is time to get down to some real thinking about myself and some serious honesty. I can see this is a good place ...I just need to figure it out. I am not good at threads. Today is a good day!! Did not stop off for a beer after work...as I knew it would lead to another.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What I learned the hard way, is that alcoholism is progressive. As you grow older your tolerance increases, and you reach a point where you body's ability to recover every morning decreases. It's not pretty.

Get off the merry-go-round early.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, getting off the merry go round also helps with clearer thinking. The crazed feelings lessen over time without booze and things fall into place.
Peace starts to descend but is shattered by drinking.... That's what I found anyway..

Best of luck xx