Notices

Relapse Prevention Weekender Dec 18 Part 3

Old 12-23-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

November Man is on minute 49 in my Netflix streaming. We must've started watching it late some night but I don't remember any of it.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Katie's first time kayaking.

My husband found the ugly white socks again.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Melki, it's good. I would start over though, there are quite a few important twists in that first 45 minutes. I'm still on break.

*edit to say, and I'm glad you liked "Elf."
Old 12-23-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

What, with that Harpo Marx Rug of his, it seems like a Chia Rand Paul is more easily implemented. Hair Snark only intended. I ain't into Politics here [or anywhere on-line].

Da Wife did one of her Weekly surreptitious Lunches with her DrunkAzz Gal Pal, and I'm kewl with that these Days. We're on a run of no Alcohol 'round here, and I'm happy with that progress. If we could first have a run of periodic Abstinence, I'd be quite willing to compromise on occasional Consumption. Xmas Day Cooking/Dinner having to have Booze involved will be another matter, but I'm getting mighty detached from that Drama. What_fn_ever. Sober Winter Solstice #2 for me.

The diversion today was to drag out my Shop Vac and - by using it for reverse suction - pull this amazing KrapBall backwards out of the Piping of the Whole House Vacuum System. Like, ~1/2 a Plastic Grocery Bag full. 4 Bobby Pins and a major Twig jammed up the works, and Dog Hair collected behind that Flotsam. Changed out the huge Vacuum Motor Bag while I was at it. So, it's back to being able to suck the Chrome off a Trailer Ball.

Made progress on wiring up her Garage Door Opener. Lextricity goes along fine, but doesn't make it out of a GFI Outlet I put in the Garage. So, I'll swap that out soon, and get that major Door convenience going for her. I got enough Electrical, and other, Spare Parts around to build another House. When the nearest Big Box Hardware Store is ~1 hour drive away, ya over-buy.

We got a Storm pounding us with Snow coming in sideways. But, it's periodic Squalls dropping 3"~ 5" worth, total. Now, the Sun's back out. No biggie. I moved a Propane Construction Heater here to my Man Shed, and am quite toasty. A Window open 6" ensures I won't gas myself on CO. That's a good thing...

Kewl to read of all the 'ups' goin' on today, and the flat-out Coping.

'Sobriety ain't for the timid' ~ Me

Taratino's latest will be a Gore Fest, but I plan to see it. We're almost line-of-sight to where it was Filmed, so that aspect alone makes it a must-see.

- 'Tarantino Takes Telluride' ~ Mens Journal.com -

My first Leather-related Musical choice of Jim 'The Lizard King' Morrison & The Doors live doing my fav 'Roadhouse Blues' has him swilling a Beer for a moment to go with the Lyric. So, Joan Jett instead it is. She looks good in White. So do I. With Marty in Mind...

- 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' ~ Joan Jett -
Old 12-23-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Caught up again, giggling all the way. From Sao's cuz's affront to humanity shoes, to Bim's act of thread insurrection, then a visual delight of a shotgun!!

Cool pics ven. That park looks awesome.

More shopping after work with the fam in tow. Mrs B had some time to peruse the outfits while I walked junior up and down the isle in Marks playing chicken with the mad max trolley granny's.

Listening to Gid Coes last show of the year. He plays great tunes, including lots of Pogues. Mr McGowan was recently kitted out with a brand new set of choppers.

Can't find a single Pogues song without a drink reference.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm really glad I'm sober this Christmas. My first one since I don't remember when.

And I'm glad I opted out of Christmas Day with family. I don't want to be around drinking and that's that.

I had a really great lunch with my dad- crab and shrimp bisque followed by a prime rib French dip... I like to dip each bite and then paste it with mashed potatoes. Been doing that since I was a kid, it's a killer bite of comfort food!
Old 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I was so busy today. Havn't had time to read all the posts.

Well, I have been weeping for the past half hour. I don't know why. It is very stormy here and on our travels visiting relations, my dad and I were hungry and ended up at the hotel where we had lunch after my Grandmother's funeral. I had not been there since that day almost 5 months ago and it just got to me. I know I talk about Gran a lot, but actually I never cried over her death, until now.

We also visited my uncle (father's brother). He lives on his own mostly, but he will have other family visiting tomorrow. I don't know exactly what is wrong with him. He suffered some kind of breakdown years ago and has never been right since. We spent some time with him drinking tea which was the same colour as coffee. At first I thought it WAS coffee. I suppose that is what Christmas is all about: family and friends.
I feel extremely guilty, as my uncle was in an accident years and years ago, and never returned to full health. I have seen him three times over the past month, and each time he has taken €20 out of his pocket and slipped it to me when dad wasn't looking...I am not the type to go looking for handouts. It is always the people who have nothing who are the most generous.

My dad also insisted on visiting the three hags (my mother's sisters) with a card and a plant. He said they were very pleased to see him and seemed quite eager to mend fences. I said "yeah but I bet you stayed near the door for a quick getaway, right?" And we had a laugh about it.
I told him he is too kind. He said "I don't believe in holding grudges. And neither do you it seems since you posted them a card a couple of weeks ago".

I have finished wrapping gifts. Unfortunately I do not have my father's talent or patience for wrapping, but it's the thought that counts right?

I will be glad when all this is over.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Do your best

Night gang
Old 12-23-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Melki, it's good. I would start over though, there are quite a few important twists in that first 45 minutes. I'm still on break.

*edit to say, and I'm glad you liked "Elf."
I really did. It was great to laugh with the kids. I rarely take the time and watch the movie from beginning to end. My daughter is now repeating "Francisco".

Now it's onto "Home Alone" or "Santa Clause", the kids will choose.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I vote for Home Alone. I saw it again last week. It's one of my guilty pleasures.

My friend just posted this picture. I read an article today saying that the whole thing was a fix. I don't know if it's true or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FB_IMG_1450915057795.jpg (29.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-23-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hilarious Meme! It certainly could be a fixed Pageant. I didn't 'review' the Contestants.

Some Gumment Haters vehemently claim we're being targeted to have Behavior-controlling Implants secretly embedded in us. I won't argue the existence of Implants.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Tetra, the kids picked Home Alone too.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
saoutchik

So many wonderful posts W'enders, thank you for keeping me entertained. Daughter 2 at my flat tonight, she has been asleep since 10pm, either jet lag or her dad is boring her

Hard to believe Shane McGowan still alive and investing in new teeth while Kirsty MacColl has not been with us for 15 years. People get sick and sometimes die through no fault of their own - they didn't get the same chance at life. Meanwhile people like us were throwing all sorts of poison down our throats. It's another reason to shape up

Old 12-23-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I just realized I have about 16 hours to be completely ready for christmas.
whatever the hell that means...

I'm having a cup of coffee and sampling from a bag of truffles I just acquired from a friend who works for godiva. Yeah, a bag full.

Got laundry going and getting ready to wrap up a few gifts for under the tree. Good news. She finished watching all the friends episodes and filled me in on the ending of the show. I had no idea it went on for ten years - and can now be watched in a couple weeks. It's probable (a lock) that in five years she has seen more modern American TV shows than I ever will. Yeah, I watched about twenty-some episodes of friends with her.
Looks like making of a murderer is next on MY list. First star wars movie will be coming to a living room near me soon.
Dark and rainy here.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Besides one seriously-GD-funny-Pic, Sao's hilarious Shoe Post makes an open & shut Case to watch Home For the Holidays.

I had some White Bucks - a la Pat Boone - I wore occasionally in my Rockabilly Band. PITA to keep clean, though, with all that White Shoe Polish to put on. I had to change into them after loading in Band Gear.

Jah ever notice how so many of our Recollections [including mine] are like Melina's? Booze somehow factors into them. Mine include one of drinking some Taiwanese Rotgut Wine - and their White Lightning aged for 2 Days - while eating Deep Fried Crickets. They were coated with 'something', and were very tasty. However, the lil backward thingys on their Legs can stick in your Throat. Below, see some Deep Fried Grasshoppers & Silkworms. Thai Street Food. Easier than screwing with a Turkey...

Cue Barbra Streisand, here, singing about 'Memories'...

- 'The Way We Were' ~ Barbra Streisand -

Being Shotgun-satiated myself, I extend my sincere Congrats to ya, Bim! There's been a hysteria-triggered run on all kinda Ammo. Hopefully, Marty can find the Shotgun Shells she needs...

I have similair memories of drinking local hooch in cambodia., though I refused to eat the fried tarantulas
Old 12-23-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
How so very alcoholic of him.
Word.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
MB, I read Crime and Punishment for about two hours this morning. I don't think it was included on the syllabuses of any of my English or Lit courses in college; must not have been, or else I would've read it!

I've heard lots of great stuff about Dostoyevsky and about this novel in particular. It's been on my master reading list for a while.
Dostoyevski is one of my all time favourite writers
Xoxo
Old 12-23-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Looks like making of a murderer is next on MY list.
Are you sure? It's very good but difficult to get over... I am getting more and more misanthropic with age and movies like these just make it worse.

Who else watched it already?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I have always found Dostoyevsky terribly depressing...
Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Today around lunchtime I received one of the twice a year phone calls my Dad graces me with each year. We talked all of about five minutes, and then he briefly spoke with my husband. There was a Christmas card containing money out in the mailbox from him.