Notices

Relapse Prevention Weekender Dec 18 Part 3

Old 12-23-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Good idea Ruby!
Whatcha makin?!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I'm going to make a blueberry pie tomorrow. ..might as well make my favorite.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Jen ~

I'll sidestep your immediate question, and suggest the very old 'Immersion' Technique of a having a desired Language play 'in the background' as you do other things. The Shortwave Radio Stations I used to listen to on a Vacuum Tube Radio have migrated to on-line Services. You can often listen live, or to on-demand Podcasts and Programs stored on Servers.

See at the the top right of the Webpage various Language choices:

- Radio France International -

- Swiss Radio -

Also note that most any major Country Broadcaster - say, China Radio International - will have Programming in French.

If you listen on-line to French Music, the colloquial French DJ Patter will soak in to augment your Classes.

- French Streaming Music Search Results -

An old Xmas Blues Song that's not the Bummer the Title might suggest...

- 'Cryin' Christmas Tears' ~ Eric Clapton ~ Live @ The White House -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Frog Leg Cartoon.jpg (37.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

French, Chinese, and a bit of Italian and Spanish here. Chinese was my favorite.

I'm making a key lime pie to take to my mom's on Friday. We don't do a traditional Christmas dinner. Our family tradition is crab sandwiches and champagne. Sparkling grape juice for most of us, these days. Out of the eight that will be there only two will have champagne. This is quite a switch from past years, and I like it very much.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Oh, man. Blueberry pie? Love it!

Hope this evening finds all are well here. Marty, you continue to be in my thoughts. Others have had some good observations here about HWSNBN's most recent missive. (I'm talkin' about you, Bim.) Hang in there.

Bodhi, if it was up to me, I would study French. Actually, I did. I took about four sort-of semesters at Alliance Francaise. It did not come easily to me, though I still can read a tiny bit in French. I've often said that it was because I was trying to learn a new language in my 40s, doing it at night after a stressful job. Sigh. I never really tossed in the other element -- alcoholism. But it is a beautiful language and so it's hard for me to offer up any other suggestions -- and to say you're wise to gain that skill.

Melina, your prime rib/mashed spuds combo sounds like the very definition of comfort food.

Sao, it's good to know your daughter is with you. I hope she can stay for a bit.

OK. Back to just a few more chores here. Then off right away in the morning.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Our family tradition is crab sandwiches and champagne. Sparkling grape juice for most of us, these days. Out of the eight that will be there only two will have champagne. This is quite a switch from past years, and I like it very much.
That sounds heavenly.

I would give anything for a departure from the same big, heavy meal.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Bodhi, I completed the cranberry apricot relish for an appetizer spread. You pour it over softened cream cheese. I've not made it before so it'll be a new experience. Then I'm making the horseradish cream sauce for the beef tenderloin I'm roasting. I'm also going to put together the rub tonight because searching thru my spice cabinet when I'm in a rush is maddening.

HaF, I hope that cold shakes off before the break but you can still get rest.

I should take Spanish. It's a primary language around here.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I'm going to make a blueberry pie tomorrow. ..might as well make my favorite.

I'm making a berry pie tomorrow too
Old 12-23-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

When I was in Mexico, I regretted that I'd not studied Spanish. But I don't regret studying French; it's a lovely language. I made straight A's from 9th grade onward, and throughout undergrad. I must've spent about five years studying French.

The pronunciation made sense to me right away, and I always had great pronunciation. Reading and speaking it was easy, but constructing sentences, of course, was the hardest part.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I'll see you guys on the new thread on Christmas Eve! Try to stay on the Nice List until then.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Goodnight, folks. As always, I greatly appreciate the input. I'm not going to think about any of it until tomorrow, and maybe not even then. My response today to him was that I'll see him around. It's a small town, so it's inevitable. We also have mutual friends. I can handle that. He keeps apologizing profusely for hurting me. Well, yeah. No shitte.

Anywhoo... Sleep well everyone.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Sweet dreams MLD. It's about time for the next weekend thread to begin. We all gave this one a good run!
Old 12-23-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

You've become Clairvoyant, Marty.

You can now see the Future.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

If I was going to learn a language, I'd learn Spanish. So many people speak it just about everywhere, and it would be such an asset to know.
Wow, we have a new thread tomorrow. I almost forgot.
And tomorrow is Christmas eve....I'm not my usual depressed holiday self this year. I guess I'm accepting that it's ok to be alone, and I'm planning enough activities with friends so I don't feel sorry for myself. This is major growth for me. And it's my second sober Christmas.
Life is alright these days.
And!! November Man was a good movie! Keep suggestions coming.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Good night everyone! I'll see you around tomorrow. I have to work but only a half day. Or two thirds of a day.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning folks, happy xmas eve

I learned German from living in West Germany for a while in the 1980s and accented French living in Luxembourg City. MidnightBlue played Putting on the Ritz by Taco Ockerse - he was very famous in northern Europe then but unknown in UK. I don't know about his fame in the USA or Russia

Daughter 2 making herself at home, there has been an outbreak of T- lights at Saoutchik Towers. She will be out with friends this evening and going to her mum but I will be seeing her for some of Xmas Day
Old 12-24-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Just a quick bit of maths. Parts 1 and 2 of the Weekenders Thread totalled about 1150 posts. Part 3 is in excess 100 so that's 1250+ posts divided by 168 hours (one week) means that it has attracted 8 posts an hour, 24 hours a day. Well done us
Old 12-24-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Learn the spanish ,
I love learning languages , most western european ones share similiar latin verbs "nearly" and you can understand quite a bit of the common threads in french / Italian / spanish once you've got proficient in one .

All the driving done , some gifts to get yet . not too bad for 8am on Christmas eve.

done the tree , although the bottom is a bit spindly i'll re-shuffle the presents ! 4 years into sobriety and i can just about be bothered to make the effort ! gah humbug !

Hope everyone is keeping on keeping on ,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1317 copy.jpg (21.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-24-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

morning all, hope everyone is all set for Christmas.

Sat here with virtually nothing to do other than read through posts on here or the news - deathly quiet now.

Home at lunch to begin the prep for tomorrows lunch - crispy bacon & maple Turkey is my recipe for this year, only 5 of us but I really enjoy cooking so will be taking care of everything - don't like the clearing up but as I do all the food then I get to sit down once the meal is finished.