Notices

Relapse prevention weekender Dec 18

Old 12-20-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

I'm in-between (hair color). If I go out in the sun I get really blonde, but if not - then not. As a young adult I was very blonde, but I lived in SoFla. I stopped coloring my hair years ago. A few sprinkles of gray.

Well done, Olive!

Brynn, I'm comin' over for baked treats.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Having no family is sucky this time of year.

Bimini, I kind of disagree . Having no GOOD family is sucky. What is really sucky is getting stuck with abusive-disfunctional family. But that's me.

Hold my hand?

Always here, honey)

I love morning of January 1st since I got sober - it's always so quiet and peaceful.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Love the dalek gif. And Jeff Lynne is going on my short list of music to get. Didn't know he did a solo album. Decision time for me. I want to go watch football with my guy friend today at a public venue. Options are limited because the Packer game is not in "regular" TV in our area today. Must have NFL Sunday ticket to view it. 4 places to choose from in town. We usually hit the bowling alley on these blackout days. Problem is, the same ex-friends who made me feel bad last week are going to the same place. Guy friend is stressing out because he doesn't want a repeat of last week's public crying event. Well neither do I. I really want to go, because I have made peace with the whole crappy situation in my head. My heart, not as much. But I want to show I can't be pushed aside. Do I go, or bow out and miss the game in order to take pressure off my true friend? He's stuck in the middle. I feel bad about that. I know I can handle it, but I don't want him feeling stressed all afternoon.

Edited to add: blackout doesn't mean drinking. Means blacked-out football game.
  # 504 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thanks HaF and MB.... I am working things. Saying out loud on the computer screen makes it seem silly. A waste of good energy.

I refuse to give in. And I live by what I put out there. How many times have I said happiness is a choice? Well. I am choosing to put the emptiness off until it subsides. And it will. It always does.
  # 505 (permalink)  

Agreed!!! Well done Miss Olive!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Hi Dharma!!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 507 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Marty....I think I would bow out and skip the game for the sake of my friend. If it's causing him that much stress you won't be able to have much fun anyway. Just my opinion.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 508 (permalink)  

wha............? I decided to hang around and get in on the 500th post, and to see Bim's happy dance.
A blonde joke instead?

A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead are running from the cops. They all hide in a barn.
The brunet hides with the pigs, the red head hides with the horses and the blonde hides behind a sack of potatoes. The cops enter the barn and shine a flash light on the pigs, the brunette says "oink oink" and the cops move on. The cops shine their flash lights on the horses, the red head goes "neigh neigh". Finally the cops shine a light on the sacks of potatoes and the blond says "potato, potato".

Later...
Old 12-20-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 509 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((Ken))) you're pretty awesome
Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 510 (permalink)  

MLD, I would imagine the people who were insensitive would be more careful this week, don't you think? Or did they witness the crying?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 511 (permalink)  

Marty ~

I would resolutely 'own it'. Explain to your Pal that part of your very-much-welcomed Recovery is to understand that you're a non-Drinking Person in a Drinking World [my big Schtick right now]. And, that these other Folks were coming from the Reality they know, and live in: Drinking World. Re: their Perspective: No Harm - No Foul. If you've over it, say it, and show it.

Tell him you're into going [you are], and make it very clear that you're got the Social Implications of this one down. Go, and enjoy.

They ain't gonna change. So, you/we have to a bit. Walk over dem Hot Coals Barefoot, and don't let 'em see you sweat...
Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 512 (permalink)  

They did not witness it.
  # 513 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Really?? I always imagined you as a brunette, MB.
Yep all natural ash-dark blonde.
  # 514 (permalink)  

dammit. Mon, I edited my post. Wasn't paying attn.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 515 (permalink)  

I'm going. Need to show everyone I can deal with stuff in a mature manner. They can be immature if they choose to be.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 516 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I love morning of January 1st since I got sober - it's always so quiet and peaceful.
Yeah on the family thing. I get that.

I had to pull way back from my family. I didn't go "home" for holidays because I was happier not being with them, to be honest. Now that they have died, I've been more peaceful in some ways. I just get all full of self-pity at the holidays - no excuse, either. ((MBhug))
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 517 (permalink)  

Steven ...

I met Steven at an "Irish Pub" in my college town. I must've been 20 or 21 at the time. He was a scruffy, skinny, older man working the bar and kitchen. He was mostly a nondescript sort of guy (save that he was so very thin and rough looking), but nice and friendly. I was a hopeful singer at the time. I studied vocal music while I was working on a psychology degree, and at the time, a philosophy minor. I was always in the record store next door to the pub. The owners of the pub and record store and I became friends. I saw Steven fairly often. I sang karaoke in the pub on weekends. We all had loads of fun, and I drank way too much.

Steven and I would talk music. It turned out, back in the 70's he worked with many famous musicians and bands. Lots of the greats from that era. He was intriguing to me. He played guitar, decently well. Not great. I bought a 20 year old Alvarez acoustic. We played together at his place often. He told me stories. He also drank more than I did. Pretty soon, he began to confide in me about his estranged family, lots of sadness and regrets. I told him about my crazy mother and family. We bonded. He was so much older, so I never considered him romantically, and he understood and respected that. We were guitar and music buddies. He prepped me for the "business," lol. We were certain I'd be a famous singer someday. I focused more on writing lyrics, he had the guitar chops. Haha. It was a very special time for us both.

Well, one day he told me he was dying of hepatitis. He'd contracted it sometime in the 80's apparently. He was wasting away before my eyes. I was devastated. One day, we argued on the phone about some record, some song, or some band. Some silly disagreement. We were always disagreeing over music. He had his firm opinions And, I had mine. He thought I was too cocky, and likewise, I thought the same about him! He didn't answer the phone or doorbell for a few days. I called the pub. No sign of him. I finally found out he'd been discovered in his apartment. He'd been dead a few days.

I drove to the apartment one night, the door was actually unlocked and slightly ajar. I walked in and everything was gone. Nothing left. Just some trash on the floor. I sank to the floor and cried my eyes out.

I miss him.

MesaMan, he loved ELO. I think it was his favorite. He had a framed, signed poster hanging on the wall. He'd been a roadie or technical guy for ELO at some point.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 518 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
wha............? I decided to hang around and get in on the 500th post, and to see Bim's happy dance.
A blonde joke instead?

A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead are running from the cops. They all hide in a barn.
The brunet hides with the pigs, the red head hides with the horses and the blonde hides behind a sack of potatoes. The cops enter the barn and shine a flash light on the pigs, the brunette says "oink oink" and the cops move on. The cops shine their flash lights on the horses, the red head goes "neigh neigh". Finally the cops shine a light on the sacks of potatoes and the blond says "potato, potato".

Later...
LBrain - you do realize this blonde can serve a good knuckle sandwich, do you?)
Old 12-20-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 519 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in to say I have survived the weekend so far. Made it to the gym and swimming yesterday with daughter and now off to gym again. I have a party tomorrow night looming over me but trying not to think about that today. Feels good this morning to not be hungover! Havent really checked this thread but will try to catch up later. Hope everyone is doing good.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 520 (permalink)  

Aw, SP. The sad thing about HepC is that there is a good treatment available now - well, for the last 15 years or so - but they won't treat active alcoholics I don't think. Or at least that was the angle 10 years ago when I knew someone who went through it.