Notices

Fear no more Weekender Dec 4

Old 12-03-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I put myself up but its upside down, I'm not good at this stuff
Old 12-03-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
Or pie. Pie is its own food group and I'm pretty sure it is a superfood...my fave is a tie between raisin pie and egg custard with coffee.
I like egg custard Never had raisin pie.

My husband is the pie lover. I'm the cake lover.

My favorite pies are cherry and blackberry. I like the tart-sweet factor. Too often, down here in the south, the pies are too sweet. Same with the sweet tea.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I put myself up but its upside down, I'm not good at this stuff
Apple products...for some reason pics from my iPhone always post upside down or sideways. Sometimes I can edit them on my computer and other times not so much. What a beauty!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Now its sideways
Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

BigS!! Great post!! Yes, gifts. Glad to get to know you, glad you are here for we who are early on the way. Quoting Soberwolf again..."collective awesomeness"!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I grew up adjacent to San Bernardino CA. My Dad drove a Lumber Yard Truck. Before Lawyers ran the World, this Wee Bastid rode with him occasionally in the Summer, and saw much of the then-remote CA Desert. Fantastic Memories.

I recognized the Streets named in the Tragedy yesterday. My Maternal Grandma passed away at the World Class Loma Linda Hospital run by Seventh Day Adventists where Victims yesterday were treated. I had all my Childhood Allergy Tests there. 20 Syringes/Week. Each filled with a potential Allergen. Injected into my Forearms in 4 Rows of 5 Injections; just below the Skin. It felt like someone took Pliers and pinched your Skin as hard as possible. Week after Week. Several hundred such 'Tests' were administered. The diameter of the Welt indicated Allergen Sensitivity. I couldn't scratch what felt like Poison Ivy Welts. That would mess up the Test Results. My only Alcohol Flashback yesterday was of pungent Doctor's Office Isopropyl.

Cut to the present... Last Week, a 27 Year old Fellow on the Social periphery of my Dog Park/FB Pals went to a House Party. A former High School Track Star who set local Records, and was very well thought of. Some 21 Year old Cowboy wannabe - known to pick Fights - did so. The very drunk 27 Year old left the Party, and Friends went to find him. They brought him back. Another tussle ensued, and he left again after more Drinking to walk Home. A second 'Search Party' couldn't locate him. He was found dead from Exposure in some Bushes at Daybreak the next Morning ~100 Yards from his House in this desolate area after Temps hit 17 F Degrees overnight. He left Parents, and a 26 Year old Fiance.

I wondered last Tuesday what the Traffic Jam was about on the local Main Highway. There was a massive turnout for his Funeral, causing Parking logjam.

The virtual Hometown Massacre News of yesterday compounded on top of an Intoxicated Death of a 27 Year old was a Psychological & Mindfulness challenge.

My point - and I do have one - is that we can keep our Eye on the prize of Sobriety, and not run back to that 750 ml Abyss. This Week's Topic is beyond timely. I've never understood Fear-based, pervasive Messages that we're 1 Step away from being Drunk Losers again. That's how I perceive such 'downer' Messages... All I can do is not fall for them myself, and remain cautiously Mindful; quite like I do around Power Tools.

After taking the long way home, I hopped out of my Truck, and took in this Sunset. I watched the hilarious Vid linked below from some Austin TX Homeowner way into his Xmas Lights Display. I focused on Gratitude. That I'm not this Dude's Neighbor. 1 Bottle of Wine was MIA here from the not-very-well hidden Inventory. But, that consumption while I was at the Dog Park, and the Dump, was not in my Face. I'll take it.

I went to Bed Sober, and at Peace. SR =1 -> Alcohol = 0.

~ Free your Mind, and your Body will follow ~
- Blowout Xmas Lights Display -

EDIT: To the best of my knowledge and repeated vetting, the Link above does not have a Wine Ad Opener. Some other Vid Clips did...

Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
She is discovering that being truthful and critical with co-workers is not a good thing here in America. In the Motherland if someone is slacking or not doing their job it is expected that co-workers rip them a new one. Here, if you say something you are put on the watch list... Sad but true.
She doesn't get it that most people are there for one purpose, sneak through the day doing as little as possible and collect a paycheck. America...
I can so relate to this, Brain. My excuse is being INTJ. Not really much of an excuse, but it was a learning experience for me, lol. I don't think I ever ripped on co-workers, but I always had a great work ethic, so co-workers would get ticked off that I was somehow making them look bad. Not quite sure how they construed it that way. It took me a little while, but I finally "got it" that most people want to do as little as possible to get by. And that's how they spend their work days. I couldn't relate to this. I'm passionate about most things I do. And if I'm not, there's a problem, lol. I guess it's why I eventually ventured out on my own to be become self-employed. It's been a huge struggle, but I don't regret it.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Now its sideways
The one you have up at THIS moment is right side up!
Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I can so relate to this, Brain. My excuse is being INTJ. Not really much of an excuse, but it was a learning experience for me, lol. I don't think I ever ripped on co-workers, but I always had a great work ethic, so co-workers would get ticked off that I was somehow making them look bad. Not quite sure how they construed it that way. It took me a little while, but I finally "got it" that most people want to do as little as possible to get by. And that's how they spend their work days. I couldn't relate to this. I'm passionate about most things I do. And if I'm not, there's a problem, lol. I guess it's why I eventually ventured out on my own to be become self-employed. It's been a huge struggle, but I don't regret it.
Awww, I love INTJ people, I'm ENFP- opposites attract, these two seem to like each other even though they have opposite personalities
Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
The one you have up at THIS moment is right side up!
Very good! I'll stick with it then
Old 12-03-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm on!
I'll be a bit quiet this weekend, but all is good. No drinking for me no way.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Hi folks,

I posted a picture or two from my Thanksgiving "vacation" to the Caribbean's Amatique Bay late last weekend. But, there were lots of threads going, apparently. Anyway, here's one of them:

Pretty majestic place! Got into the rivers and kayaked through the rainforest, swam outside an old Spanish castle that was used to battle Pirates in the 1600's, and explored some great seafood. I even rented a little jetski from a dude, and went around Guatemala's largest lake, Lake Izabal. Just incredible!

More incredible is that I was able to drive 6 hours EACH WAY, through the Guatemalan highlands and rough eastern terrain to get to the Caribbean. Just a crazy drive, never done anything like that, it was cool to be at the wheel in the truck, rocking the mountains!

Sobriety has helped me achieve and enjoy all of these gifts! It was just 3.5 short years ago that I was on "Day 1". Let's make it happen, gang!
Looks stunning - reminds me of Cenote we visited in Mexico a few years ago.

Driving is one of my favourite things to do so plan is a lot more of that in sobriety - best drive for me was through the Nufenen Pass in the Swiss Alps, the Gotthard Tunnel closed due to an accident so instead of waiting we decided to drive over - best move ever - absolutely fantastic drive and the scenery was breath taking. 34 degrees C at the start of summer with pics of my daughter (7 at the time) making snowballs.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
This is a great opener, Ken! So much good stuff.

I find all of the above to be true for myself and my recovery as well.

There certainly is a place for fear in the human brain, and that's to alert us to potential danger, but once we get that alert message, we have this amazing brain that's able to work with that and interpret and discern, and then to toss out what is unnecessary or superfluous information.

And so it is in my best interest to cast aside this fear that can sabotage my efforts and my peace of mind. How do I do this? First, by becoming aware that I am afraid. And then, by being mindful. In being mindful, I am aware of these thoughts and feelings, but I am not acting on them or being controlled by them in any way. They are just there, sitting there, like fallen leaves from a tree. I can bend down, pick one up, examine it, without it compromising me in any way. And then, I can toss it, and walk away onto something else. That is how I can handle any fear or intruding or disturbing thoughts ... including the AV!

Thoughts and feelings arise, but they don't make the ultimate judgement call.
Wonderfully said SoberP. This does take practice. But it certainly is something I follow everyday. As best I can anyway!
Old 12-03-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ok... Almost 100 posts in the first 7 hours... Yikes!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

MM used the phrase "cautiously mindful." Yes. That's what I try to be. Not afraid. If you are afraid of something like a power tool, you don't grasp it with confidence. It can slip, either out of your hands, or across, say, a board you are trying to cut. Either can be dangerous and cause injury. So - I go into sobriety confidently, grasping it firmly. It can't slip away from me if I'm strong. Rather than being afraid of drinking, I choose to be in command of sobriety.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

The Behan's are putting the finishing touches on their Christmas tree!!! Woot woot!!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

well, I am an INTJ type I'm pretty sure ... whatever that means...
I recall many years ago when I worked in a union place I was taken aside by a few of the incumbents after a month or two. I was basically threatened because I was making everyone look bad. What? True story. I work the only way I know how.
I was told once after a battery test - in a different place - by someone who said, "I've seen this test done over a hundred times and it is the first time I ever saw it done without a drop of acid being spilled." Pulling a sample fro about 300 battery cells... Another time a very good worker told me he has never seen anyone as careful as I was doing a task and 'being perfect'. triple checking before I turned a switch/power supply.
This was before all of the self-check and procedural techniques were in vogue.
"What's your secret?" I said that I do everything as if I'm doing it for myself. I treat it like it is my own home.

Part of my many frustrations (resentments?) over the years. Be the best but if you aren't in 'the club' you get passed over for promotions...

At least I can live with myself knowing I always gave my best effort...

Time to get to work before she gets back Appointment at hairdresser at 11 and at 1050 she's asking me, "Did you see my phone?"
Um, know, I was asleep when you got home and wasn't monitoring... you're already late...
Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

My little anxiety attack is over now. Thanks for caring, people. I really do appreciate it.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, gang)

So tired after a day at work and worn out with anxiety-panic-whatever attacks.

Plus the colleague approached me today and said that they are gathering money for the New Year Party at work and it's about 70$ each. And I have 0 money left till my paycheck. I told that I probably have something already planned for that date. So tomorrow will come up with some reason. I wouldn't mind going - I am still new at the job, and it's ok to chat with people off the clock, but oh well. And, in addition, I will pay for all this booze I won't drink.

Going to call it an early night and have some decent sleep.

See you all)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good night, Midnight...sleep well. You can take care of tomorrow, tomorrow.