Notices

Thanksgiving Holiday Edition Weekender Pt 3

Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Snow and freezing conditions already Ruby? I do recall hearing about extreme cold weather when i first hopped on the bus.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I might buy some poinsettias from work on Friday when they're marked down.
tough one on the soup, I would have just sat there at the table with an empty bowl and waited... of course you could go hungry trying that...

The wife exclaimed her position on decorating 'inside' for xmas this year.
Looks like some of them point setters will be here too. A shame we kept one going for a while but it missed a 'few' waterings and gave up. It was doing pretty well until then.
Guess I oughta start getting the crap out of the 'family' room. It is currently a 'storage' room. I also need to check the battery in the remote control for the fire place. Too late to replace the variable fan speed controller - or just too lazy.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes, Behan, freezing conditions although it will be mild the rest of the week. Gets over freezing during the day so the snow from the weekend is melting away. But cold enough I'm scraping frost from my car in the morning.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. Beautiful pansies, Ruby 2!

I have my home group tonight, that will help. And at least I'm a "veteran" now -- this will be my second sober Thanksgiving. Gotta be easier than the last one was!!

Cheers.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Way to go, Tursiops. My first coming up. But the holidays are going to be easy. It is ......Mondays..... that get me.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Going to get something to eat...I just cannot motivate to cook for myself tonight, and need to shop for groceries to make my Thanksgiving contributions...so I will probs pick up pizza or something on the way home.

Ttyl...will check in when I turn in. Sooooooo thankful for you all. As Soberwolf said..."your collective awesomeness!"
Old 11-24-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

funny, I noticed my pansies this afternoon as well - in the ground. They're blooming better than they were earlier in the year. We had sub-zero temps for over a week at night. My petunias are also making a comeback - it's weird, But the geranium plants are really thriving - bloomed again last week. I did a good job of keeping them trimmed all year.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes, Brain, my pansies are doing better than my mums. And I remember digging mums out of the snow for the table when I was still living in Minnesota. I'm hoping my parsley is still intact because I didn't buy any today. It's usually pretty hardy.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
My petunias are also making a comeback - it's weird, But the geranium plants are really thriving - bloomed again last week. I did a good job of keeping them trimmed all year.
My petunias did too! And the geranium is blooming!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
Way to go, Tursiops. My first coming up. But the holidays are going to be easy. It is ......Mondays..... that get me.
I hear ya, BixBees. Work stress was one of my biggest challenges ... I'll look out for your posts on Monday.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wow...I don't think I've ever seen a part 3...
well, my dinner plans got canceled as I was walking out the door. This is one reason why I avoid making plans with people. Plan B will be a cheeseburger on the grill, which sounds better than a restaurant anyway.
nice nap today.
Mld...hang in there. I was a total witch for about a week when I quit. Then it passes. I warned people around me. You are doing great.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Checking in. Just had a huge mixed green , chicken salad with garlic, olive oil, balsamic and hot colmans mustard dressing. Super quick and delicious.

Still craving LBrain's world famous goat soup though. Mouth has been watering all day. The garnish really set it off.

My nephew wants duck. So first chinese BBQ it will be.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm glad it's not just us. We have to start getting the junk out of my brothers room

I had a job interview last Monday week. They told me that they would let me know by last Friday. Still no word. Should I give up hoping on that? I would have really liked that job.
I'm still waiting to hear back on the other one. They told me that my interview was successful and I'm on the panel but no word yet.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Love Irish weather...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FB_IMG_1447461897770.jpg (63.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I decided I needed dinner before I go to the fancy grocery store. I stopped at a restaurant near the store that comes highly recommended. It's turning out to be a bad idea in my current crabbiness. It's loud anyway, and I'm next to a large table of revelers. Serenity now, serenity now...
Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Marty...I was a cranky bitch for a few weeks, although I had to curb it a bit at work, but I was determined to not give in! Mainly because I didn't want to have to go through all the hell again! Don't give in. No matter what. You can do it!

Ok.....so, 3 opportunities for shotgun in one week and I miss them all?!?! WTD?

Tetra, can you call or email the employer and ask if they've made a decision?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEET RUBY!!!

I read so much to catch up, now my mind is spinning. I might have to jot down notes in the future just to acknowledge all the things I think are noteworthy we write.

You guys are awesome.

Thanks for all your compassion and support. To me and to each other.

Jen and Marty- I haven't smoked today. Yet. It's only 6 pm though..

I'm on staycation this week, and I think I'll brave the grocery store tonight. I'm making all the sides and a bread pudding for Tday. My family really likes my cooking and I love how that feels. My dad is used to my mother's cooking, I learned to cook like her from trial and error after she passed. He now says all his favorites taste like she made them. I love being able to do that for him.

I never learned to cook from her, bc she used the kitchen as a place to get away from us kids and as I found out later, to drink. I think I made up for it by becoming a chef though

Sad story- one Thanksgiving morning, I was 9 or so, we couldn't find my mother. Not me, I was asleep. But my dad couldn't find her. He finally found her in the driveway. She had gone to the bar, driven home drunk, caught herself somehow in the seat belt getting out of the car, hit her head and was passed out with a concussion all night.

My dad woke up my oldest sister and made her cook the turkey so we wouldn't catch on that something was wrong. She had never done it before. Like I said, we weren't exactly welcome in the kitchen with Mom.

I don't remember this. It scarred my sister deeply. She said they told me and my other sister that Mom was sick. This is when I didn't know better about what Mom being sick meant.

My poor Mom. I understand her demons now after a lifetime of hating her for choosing them over us. I've met the demons, and they want me to choose them over light and life. They almost won. I fought like hell for the moment of clarity I needed and I did not let it slip away out of fear. She was too afraid and I am so sorry for that. I know she was so ashamed. I know she wanted freedom. She had to smoke and drink herself into death in order to get free of the demons. I'm so sorry, Mom.

Talk about grateful on Thanksgiving... I'm beyond grateful. Every dish I make I will dedicate to my mother and she will see me cooking sober and free, and loving my family.

I know she's proud. We made it, Mom.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

MLD don't forget that the crabby feeling is temporary. Your doing great.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Melina and Js I'm not leaving yall out. Teach that inner toddler that it can't have what it wants by not giving in. It's tough love but it will learn and start to shut up.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
My poor Mom. I understand her demons now after a lifetime of hating her for choosing them over us. I've met the demons, and they want me to choose them over light and life. They almost won. I fought like hell for the moment of clarity I needed and I did not let it slip away out of fear. She was too afraid and I am so sorry for that. I know she was so ashamed. I know she wanted freedom. She had to smoke and drink herself into death in order to get free of the demons. I'm so sorry, Mom.

Talk about grateful on Thanksgiving... I'm beyond grateful. Every dish I make I will dedicate to my mother and she will see me cooking sober and free, and loving my family.

I know she's proud. We made it, Mom.
Very touching, brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing about your mom

Mine was also an alcoholic.