Notices

New Journal To Recovery

Old 11-20-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Good morning, I'm ready to tackle today with a sober mind. I remember feeling anxious waking up with hangovers on Fridays eager to get out of work just to drink some more.

Now my life consist of going to the gym, studing/learning new skills and focusing on my sobriety.

Have a bless day
Old 11-20-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Night check in.

Took the day off my to-do list and only went to the gym. I feel's great to be working out consistently and people are starting to see my results. i had tremendous energy today and almost worked out for 2 hours.

The temptations to drink today was hard. It's one of my friends birthday today and the first thing he asked was if i was drinking already, i told him that i have to go to the gym first. He still showed up in my house and i told him that i been sober for 3 weeks now and i don't feel like drinking at all, he looked at me as if i was mentally unstable lol. He told me to meet with him tonight after i was done in the gym. I had thought of going to his house but i knew it was going to be hard with so many of his friends and family and i knew alot of alcohol was going to be served. So i got home ate a great post meal and now Im ready to hit the sack.

My sister gave me a huge hug and kept complimenting me on how good i look, the positive energy she feels from me and shes confident that things are going to change. That made me feel good and inspired me more to stay on this journey. I got paid today and the money that i would of use to drink, i decided to send it to a poor family member that is out the country so he could have food for the week.

Tomorrow i have community service and at time i feel like i have no days off but atleast it's keeping me busy and Im more committed. No waking up with hangovers and missing important appointment due to me getting wasted the night before. For once i feel real optimistic even though i do get depressed at certain times but once i hit the weights and do my calisthenics, all my stress is out the door.

Today im grateful for sobriety.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Thanks for the check-in, GhostFace.

You are doing so well.

(Sending your drinking money to your needy family member was such a kind and compassionate thing to do).
Old 11-21-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Ho nice of you to send money to a family member in need. I bet it made you feel good to be able to help too. Good for you for skipping the birthday celebrations, I am sure that was a tough decision but you did the right thing to protect your sobriety. There may very well come a time when you can join in on those events once you feel rock solid in your recovery. Have a great day today!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Do your best

Genuinly happy for you Ghostface
Old 11-21-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Weekend is here and i feel great to have some time off. Just finished my community service now im of to the gym. Im thinking of going to the mall and treating myself. When i was drinking, i did not care how i looked and i would rather spend my money on an expensive bottle than treating myself to something nice.

Im also looking into meditation. I did it before but not consistently. I am aware of the benefits and i think it would help me with my sobriety.

Would love to hear anyone that practices meditation and how to go about it.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Hope you found something nice at the mall, GhostFace.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Meditation helps but it's something I haven't managed to get down consistently yet either. Great work in here Ghost.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Sunday morning.

Woke up to no hangover today. I did have cravings last night as i was bored but managed to stay home and go to sleep. Once you get sober you start seeing who you true friends are. What has hurt me is that i have not seen one of my close friend since the beginning of my of my start of my sobriety.
The first thing he ask's me is "are you drinking today?" My reply is "no, but we could still hang out" and he always leaves me stranded. Same thing happened yesterday. I never got a response. At this point, Im ready to stop picking up his phone calls and responding to his text. He does it to me all the time. It's almost like im the last resort.

For once, im enjoying myself on this journey. The craving do come and yesterday was tough as boredom struck and everyone i know is either in a bar or club. I just wanted to have a social night, go out and talk to some girls but it's tough were i live since my license is suspended and all my friends are already out drinking and have no intentions to grow or better themselves. They are all content to have a good paying job, work a 9-5 and drink on the weekend. I guess im different and either they don't want to be around me since im showing my true side or maybe they feel inferior.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Thats a tough one GhostFace. I really feel for you.

My closest friend (local to me) looks at me differently now, almost with suspicion because he knows I won't be drinking.

It's possible that your resolve is making them uncomfortable (or feeling inferior as you put it) about their own drinking.

I'm resigned to having to make new friends as my new sober life evolves. I'm sad about this, mourning almost, but I'm prepared to let it happen. My new sober life is far too important to me and I'm sure it's the same for you.

You should be proud of yourself and your desire for personal growth. Most men I know wouldn't even know what "personal growth" means. The ladies on the other hand are really in tune with it. The good ones anyway.

Congrats on your sober time, perhaps mourn the passing of the relationship of your drinking friends and find new ones?

Best wishes to you.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Made it another day sober. The holiday is near and im actually looking forward to a sober one. I used to look forward to Thanksgiving to get drunk with friends and family, now i just want be at peace with my loved ones. I know alot of liquor is going to be involved during these times and im mentally preparing myself. I already made plans to see my family members and leave early.

What's my excuse? Gym of course!

I made so much progress in this short time and i do not want to go back to the person i was before. Looking forward to just eating. I know i will be tempted by family members so i need to start preparing now.

Come to think, i havent had a sober thanksgiving in over 15 years and im only 29. Let's see how this unfolds.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Ghost. I'm glad to hear you're already preparing yourself for the holiday. The exit plan is a great idea!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Do your best

loving your posts Ghostface
Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
Made it another day sober. The holiday is near and im actually looking forward to a sober one. I used to look forward to Thanksgiving to get drunk with friends and family, now i just want be at peace with my loved ones. I know alot of liquor is going to be involved during these times and im mentally preparing myself. I already made plans to see my family members and leave early.

What's my excuse? Gym of course!

I made so much progress in this short time and i do not want to go back to the person i was before. Looking forward to just eating. I know i will be tempted by family members so i need to start preparing now.

Come to think, i havent had a sober thanksgiving in over 15 years and im only 29. Let's see how this unfolds.
That's a great plan, GhostFace.

SR is here for you 24/7; lean on us if you need to.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a good day today bud
Old 11-25-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Wow! 27th day sober. Time sure does fly.

It’s crazy that almost a month from now I was constantly drinking, not paying bills and accepting any responsibility for myself. It feels great to be sober and have a clear mind. I get a rush from going thru my to-do list and finishing task at then of the night. In these early stages, sobriety has taught me how to get out of my comfort zone and work with urgency. A month ago I would dwell on all my problems and sit in my room by myself drinking a bottle of scotch and listening to music.

My friends don’t even faze me anymore. I learnt that the few friends I associate with have used me to drink and joke not really caring for the person I am. No longer do I receive phone calls to hang out since I don’t drink anymore. I come to a conclusion that these friends are not really friends. You don’t’ want to be with me on this journey to sobriety but you like to hang with me when Im drinking and throwing my life away. Makes no sense.

A sober thanksgiving is scary. I have not done this in the past 15 years. I’m envisioning and preparing myself for tomorrow. It’s going to be tough but I have confidence in myself and I know I could do this. Thought came to my mind today on what bottle am I going to buy when I get out of work. Ive been condition to start drinking heavy before and the day of thanksgiving. Luckily I have a plan today that consist of gym, coding and reading.

It might be boring but im on the road to success.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are 5000% on the road to success your awesome I hope you know that 27 days is excellent

Congrats Ghost
Old 11-26-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving today Ghost. In sobriety we have a lot to be thankful for. Continue sticking with your plan today. You're doing great, my friend.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this GF...just make staying sober your priority

D
Old 11-26-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving, GhostFace.