Notices

What do you reward your sober self?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you reward your sober self?

8 days sober now after 10 years of heavy drinking off and on. I used to reward myself with a drink... now thinking a little more cleary now... If I can stay sober for 3 - 6 months.. depending on my cash lol.
I am going to buy myself a cheap but decent Motorcycle to cruise around on those beautiful brisk sunny days, enjoying the beauties of life and the wind on my sober face...

What would you reward yourself after staying sober for a sufficient amount of time?

Dru -
Old 09-26-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would waste loads of money on alcohol but feel guilty or have buyers regret about buying something long-lasting and decent.

I've decided to go shopping monthly and splash out on some clothes, shoes, sunglasses ( my big weakness) or whatever. But, but ,but I promise to no feel guilty about it. It will be a tangible celebration of health and positive choices.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have the things I need - simple and basic things - instead of thinking "I need to get a shelf for that" or "he needs a frame for that picture" - actually be able to afford to go out and get them. I didn't waste a lot of money on alcohol - I wasted ALL of my money on alcohol, up to cutting into money for basic needs (groceries, household necessities)

Happy to say I was able to finally buy another bookcase and shelve all 71 of those books I've had sitting on my sofa because my other bookcase has been full for years.

But the answer to the question is I'm going to invest more, get more money going towards my sons future education
Old 09-26-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I reward myself with concerts, movies, clothes and traveling with the $400-500 I save every month from not buying alcohol.

I don't even earn that much money but I have some extra now. I am even thinking if buying a house now and taking on a mortgage. To think I was spending 30% of a mortgage payment on alcohol and hangovers is astounding to me.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It was it's own reward in a way, but I can eat more nice stuff because of the calorie allowance, and I like having the extra money in the bank.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

I've been buying myself nice clothes with the booze money and generally making myself look presentable. I even go for haircuts nowadays! When drinking, having a haircut just cut into my drinking time so I'd walk about looking like Hair Bear for 6 months at a time. It's amazing how much better it makes me feel mentally knowing that I physically look ok!

I've also been spending money / time on maintaining my road bike, and buying myself some new video games.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't really buy a lot of things, I have mostly what I need and rarely feel the need to buy new things. But my plan for when I hit 6 months is to have a spa day with all the special treatments.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As far as things that cost $, airfare to new places is my treat. But in general it's been investing in physical fitness and reaping the benefits.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you gotta treat yourself now and then!!!! I went back and looked at how much I spent on alcohol a month... Id say id be too embarrassed to say but on these forums weve all at one time I think wasted to much on booze. 500 or a month prob more... wow If I saved that 500 $ Id have so much money saved to do what I want with. Crazy !!!!!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first goal is to pay off some bills and save. Not getting phone calls at the end of the month would be great.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to be cheesy but I've found happiness comes from the inside and not mterial things, buying things never makes me happier long-term. The main thing I reward myself with materially is food, where I would drink I would have something real tasty, it doesn't matter if it isn't healthy and is just tasty as long as you are not drinking it is a worthwhile reward. Other things I sometimes buy are computer games, clothes, haircut, a car, university fees and debts, paying off debts is its own reward.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Buying good food lately.

Fruit, proteins, granola, shredded wheat, soy milk, juices...

Never did that when boozing.

Also, buying my kid loads of stuff....since I felt like I was dieing...I tried to hook him up...
Old 09-27-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first thing that comes to mind is ice cream. And the gym (I know those are somewhat contradictory but for now I don't care).

Long term? Fixing up some things around the house that have been annoying me for years.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hey fellow DFW Texan. There are a few of us here.

Every hangover free morning is a reward. My family being able to count on me is. My memory getting better and not having horrible thoughts all the time is AND being motivated enough to fix my motorcycle to ride on these nice days we get sometimes.

Congrats on 8.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks GS. Aye fellow Texan here Cheers to a hang over free sunday morning.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

With the moments of true peace I get from working the steps, going to meetings and taking action. It is those times when that committee meeting inside my hand adjourns, I am in the present and I have this feeling that all is well.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have treated myself to some things. I got a nice designer purse I wanted for instance. But mostly, I focus on self care. When I was drinking, I was ALWAYS rushing around (I had a full time day job and my own business). I felt like the busiest person on the planet. Must be fast, and efficient! I was always neglecting myself in order to get things done...rushing, rushing (though I still managed to drink heavily through all that). Priorities!!! Hungry...zip through the drive through and get crap $1 menu stuff. Bathroom...soon as I get home, no prob. Headache...deal with it. Personal care (haircuts, etc)....phsshh what? No time.

In the beginning of sobriety I consciously forced myself to slow down and consider my mental/physical comfort first. To sit and enjoy a nice meal with quality food and even try new things! I rarely eat fast food now, before it was all I ate (if I ate at all). Take the 5 minutes to visit the ladies room before rushing around on another errand. If it is going to be rainy or cold I make the effort to bring the appropriate clothing to ensure my comfort, etc.

I was on vacation with my husband recently and he caught me slipping into my old "efficient" ways. He asked if I wanted my jacket out of the suitcase because it was getting cool. I said "I'm fine" because I didn't want to trouble him to dig it out. He said "It will just take a minute. There's no reason to be uncomfortable" No, there sure isn't. He totally called ******** on me and I let him get my jacket out LOL. It's a work in progress I guess, a lifetime habit to break.

So, I don't know if you would consider those 'rewards' or not but they sure do help add constant little reminders of a positive benefit of sobriety. Most of them don't cost a dime either.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I go to the spa
Old 09-27-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am on a bland diet for gastritis but like some others I have been rewarding myself in the good food area. I drove out to the countryside to a beautiful farm market and picked up local veggies. Bought some cut flowers and also baskets of seasonal mums while I was there, too.

I am also giving myself the gift of organization but picking up around the house, driving donations of unused clothing and goods to the thrift shop. It lifts my mood to have a nice environment.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I like this thread ,its very positive .

I am half way through decorating the house and after that I want to save to go to New York next September for my 60th .