Notices

What do you reward your sober self?

Old 09-27-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My husband and I each get a special cupcake when we both celebrate a month. Even though it's small, it's something we look forward to.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Its crazy I haven't eaten fast food since I stopped drinking... Ive been cooking in my kitchen and clearing out my fridge with fresh ingredients. Guess It cut too much into my drinking time for me realize how much better I feel knowing what I put in my food More money for the farmers market !
Old 09-27-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Drinking used to be my reward too.

I found when I started investing in self care that I didn't need 'rewards' nearly so often. I became simple happy.

In the beginning though, a San Pellegrino to relax or a latte to pep me up, helped me get through the day.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I reward myself with walking my dogs. We all get fresh air and exercise and it makes us all happy.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Move to Uruguay. That's going to be about $30k though, so will be a while.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I reward myself with concerts, movies, clothes and traveling with the $400-500 I save every month from not buying alcohol.

I don't even earn that much money but I have some extra now. I am even thinking if buying a house now and taking on a mortgage. To think I was spending 30% of a mortgage payment on alcohol and hangovers is astounding to me.
I agree with others that the true happiness comes from the inside. Waking up without hangovers is a daily gift.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Quiet time on the porch in the morning (panic time in the old days).
-cup of coffee. Birds. Dog scratchin' herself. And PEACE.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
now's the time

I go exploring! I take a few hours and go someplace new, walk around, maybe get a coffee or an ice cream while I'm there, or a new book to read outside somewhere... It's so lovely. It makes me happy and it reminds me of all the things I'd be missing if I went back to drinking.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I never even thought about the concept of a reward or rewards. I think it's a good idea although I guess I feel I shouldn't need a reward. I feel good when people say good job the longer I abstain but I don't feel I really deserve it as I'm not having trouble with craving alcohol (not much anyway) and I knew it was never a good thing to start anyway.
But I know that's just me being me and every day I don't drink is actually a major accomplishment. It's hard being me and it's hard not being me....
Old 09-27-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

What a great thread!

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Drinking used to be my reward too.

In the beginning though, a San Pellegrino to relax or a latte to pep me up, helped me get through the day.
I've been on a blood orange Pellegrino kick lately. So good.

As with others, I treat myself to good food too. Plus just all the little things that I wouldn't have done when drinking. For example, I just hiked the mountain behind where I live to watch the lunar eclipse. I never would have done that before.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So tru, sometimes the reward is just being sober and self confidence in staying so... but think about all that money wasted on alcohol.. you gotta be able to use it for something for yourself or others . Great posts, really eye opening and inspiring. 8 days sober now, didn't drink one drop this weekend. First in years..
Old 09-28-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 8

Hello Dru,
With my extra money saved from no alcohol I do the three following things: 1/3 given to charity (Gratitude), 1/3 save/invest (bank, stocks, or bonds), 1/3 spend (buy a book, see a movie, or hit a Mexican restaurant for a good meal). Stay sober and strong and reward yourself for staying that way. Keep the faith.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

To begin with, I was really into rewards. For example, if I could quit smoking for a few days I'd buy perfume and expensive face cream (I'm a man: LOL!) But now being able to breath easy is a big reward in itself. In terms of drinking, exercise is a massive new reward which I had no idea I would enjoy before.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I know this sounds sappy, but my reward is I get to live life on my terms. My reward is knowing that I am being a good dad to my kids. They don't have to suffer for my problems and choices.

I don't have to plan every waking moment around drinking. I don't limit outings with my kids anymore because I'm drinking. Morning or night, I can now do what I want, when I want and know I'll be doing it sober.

Life is not always filled with great moments, but I know even a low day is way better now that I'm sober than a good day was when I was drinking.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Life is not always filled with great moments, but I know even a low day is way better now that I'm sober than a good day was when I was drinking.
That is the truth too. Well said
Old 09-28-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I agree with Ccam! The real rewards at the one we mark as "priceless"...Great thinking and insight!
But if I need a reward of the material world kind a slushy of some kind, ice cream of my liking, or a nice dinner out with my hubby, family, and or friends!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Within 7 month, I managed to pay off a good amount of debt, Went on a short Summer break, Booked next years already, Took in a few Football games, And treated the family.

Thanks to SR and AA.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

When I had my first run of sobriety, I upgraded a good chunk of my wardrobe including pants, shirts and shoes. Now that I'm back on solid ground again, I'm due to replace some of those items so it may be time to get some new shoes.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I buy books, so many books! I used to feel really bad spending $5 on myself by buying a book on Ibooks on my phone.....the thought that I was spending around $18 a day on wine never entered my head, that was just a necessity (crazy right).

So now, I buy whatever book I want, I bought one just yesterday for $11.99! Something I would NEVER have done before!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Crazy to think about how we just didn't care about the cost of the booze. I used to get upset when gas would go up 20 cents a gallon but had no problem dropping $50-$70 a week on alcohol.

Originally Posted by Secretdrinker View Post
I buy books, so many books! I used to feel really bad spending $5 on myself by buying a book on Ibooks on my phone.....the thought that I was spending around $18 a day on wine never entered my head, that was just a necessity (crazy right).

So now, I buy whatever book I want, I bought one just yesterday for $11.99! Something I would NEVER have done before!