Notices

Stay sober here!!! Weekender September 25

Old 09-27-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
Try and stay in the present moment, BigS. Doing that always helps me stay calm and able to function. Best wishes for your Dad's total recovery.

From Elseware. ( formerly a "lurker" ). Hi everyone!
Ah, hello, lovely friend. I see we have another ambassador from the SR Class of 8/13. One of my favorite people in our community, too!

It's good to have a few places to hang our hats, Else.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Decorum indeed

They are smart Irish girls - students at the London School of Economics

Smart but drunk - they are ignoring the Saoutchik suggestion of a taxi home. Strength in numbers, there are four of them
Old 09-27-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hello, W'enders --

Big S, I am keeping you in my thoughts. Aging parents bring difficulties and worries in our lives, that's for sure. I thought it a good sign that Dad S was moved from neuro ICU. You've got a whole global team behind you.

I, for one, am scandalized by B'Witched. Could only watch 30 seconds of it!

(Of course, my brain went straight to "Bewitched," too, Ken.)

A nice weekend here. Took darling niece and nephew, 13 and 16, respectively, to see "Everest" last night. It's getting so-so reviews and I can see why. Perhaps too big of a story for a movie? It does have me inspired to reread "Into Thin Air," by Jon Krakauer. One of my all-time favorite books.

Krakauer was not part of this movie. There've always been finger-pointing and recriminations about the Everest disaster and it seems they continue.

Trying to figure out how best to capture the super moon from an urban setting. Those of us with fewer geographical challenges are lucky. If they live in the Colorado Rockies, for instance. No pressure there, Mesa.

In the mean time, here are a couple pics from the apple orchard I visited this morning. It's about five miles from my hometown.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Glad you enjoyed the movie, Ken.

Great pics venecia! I love the ladybug

I've never heard of B'witched.....(what's new)....and the video won't play. Crud. I was looking forward to some scandalous debauchery.

Enjoying cooler weather today...88 is a cold front for us. Lots of dragonflies out this afternoon and one of my hummingbird feeders is completely empty due to a leak.
This time last year I wouldn't have even HAD a feeder much less known if it had a leak. I enjoy discovering simple pleasures again. Especially profound on a football Sunday where in the past the drinking would commence in the morning and end only when I passed out. I am so very grateful to be free of the obsession to drink.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

I am so angry I could cry. I don't cry often. Spent the day beating my head on a wall.....on top of someone telling me to go have a drink and relax. ALMOST a throat punch,for I trusted them with my struggle, so it was way outta line. So I'm sitting on my porch watching a birthday festival at the home across the street. I can already see the bud light cans piling up out front. They will be loud later!
I sober. Right this minute I will be grateful for that.
Hugs to all.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Just got home from the millions of errands. ...wasn't going to do them due to terminal laziness, but I made myself so I don't have to worry about it this week. There's always more, anyway.
Weasel, you sound like me with the dieting. Tomorrow! It's so hard when you like to cook. And I totally don't care that I'm just cooking for myself. I love to cook and I love a good meal. Chili con Carne in the crockpot as we speak. ...I'll freeze individual servings of it for when I work late and don't want to cook. I my next life I won't like alcohol and food.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((3wolves))). People can be so insensitive and it hurts especially when it's a trusted friend. I'm really sorry. But yes...you are sober and that counts for so much. You won't regret being sober tomorrow morning when you wake up. I promise.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
...holds the key

HAF...it's hard to believe you have terminal laziness! It seems you're always so busy!!
Old 09-27-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Sorry you had to go through that, 3wolves....lots of people just don't understand. Good for you for posting about it, we do understand how hard it is. Take some deep breaths and find something healthy to do. Watching the party across the street might not be a great idea. You are doing great and will feel good tomorrow morning after you get through this.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
HAF...it's hard to believe you have terminal laziness! It seems you're always so busy!!
Ha!! I am either busy or extremely lazy....I love to lie around and do nothing.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Brynn, you made me cry. Not the angry kind. The ones that flow slowly down your face when someone says what you need to hear, didn't know you needed it till then. I am grateful.
Hug.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((3wolves)))
Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

bacon

From whole foods today.....
Old 09-27-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Holy moly Weas! That's some expensive bacon!

3Wolves, hugs. That's rough. In the end, you'll wake up hangover free tomorrow. Try deep breathing exercises to relax.

I'll have to check out the b'witched video now. I was scandalized by Robin Thickes blurred lines last week.

Just popped a chicken into the oven to roast. Then laundry folding.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Stay strong 3wolves. The days will get better

I am home, alone, tired, sober, and feeling accomplished getting a lot done today getting ready for winter. Missing my son away at college tonight. I refuse to get depressed and sad. I'm going to have ice cream, watch a little tv, and hope to go to bed soon. Was going to watch the eclipse tonight but not sure it will be worth it tomorrow not getting enough sleep ( Remember when we used to say that about having one more drink??.....our lives are so much better now that we aren't drinking!)
Old 09-27-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

just a quick hello while the floor dries...
I picked up some energy and hoping to get the whole upstairs cleaned tonight.

have a good night/morning everyone...

later
Old 09-27-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Trees - that's one of the things I love most about this thread - all the talk about what fun and sometimes mundane things people are up to on their sober weekends. There's plenty of negative stuff elsewhere - on this forum, in meetings, in the rest of the world. Coming here is a breath of fresh air. I get ideas for things I can do out there in the world by reading about other peoples' adventures. Thank you, lovely people!
This is exactly one of the reasons I love this thread too!
Old 09-27-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Made it home from work without buying wine. Yay!

I have new neighbours that moved in next door, they SLAM the doors and it bangs and shakes my whole house, it wakes me up every morning at 5:45 am and. I can't get back to sleep, I have insomnia and/ or study late so this often only allows me 3-4 hours of sleep, I'm exhausted, they went away for the weekend and I actually slept well.

Now I'm going to have to go over and ask them to not stomp up and down the stairs, and slam the doors constantly.
I hate little social errands like this, I want to leave a note but that's cowardly.
I'll come back and let you know how it went....
Old 09-27-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ick, JS - I hate that stuff, too. Hopefully they just don't realize how loudly the sound resonates and will be more careful. If not, then they are jerks. But good for you for speaking up. Better to do it now and not be seething in resentment.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Ick, JS - I hate that stuff, too. Hopefully they just don't realize how loudly the sound resonates and will be more careful. If not, then they are jerks. But good for you for speaking up. Better to do it now and not be seething in resentment.
It was fine, just like you said;- they didn't realize it was so noisy, she was horrified that she was bothering me, and we both just ended up apologizing profusely.
So all is good