Notices

Forgive yourself Weekender Thread Aug. 28th until..

Old 08-27-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Give the man a cookie.

Thinking of your family Ruby. Such an emotional time.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

OMG, Artfriend you almost sent me down the rabbit hole of cat videos on you tube It's a real weakness of mine right now.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Brain, you are wicked.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Ringa-ling! Checking in. It's been the busiest week in the history of our once-tiny little tech platform. Huzzah for business. Alas, I've been tasked with the front lines of our incoming sales calls and it's been so darn busy. Today I set up shop on the rooftop though, got some nice sun and some iced coffee, made the day so much better. A trip to the grocer and home flipping between a baseball game and "Poldark" (great series!)

Forgiveness is a great topic, Ken. You sure are right - we need to give ourselves a break sometimes. Alas, being addicted to alcohol made it easy for me to try and "sneak around" and do things half-assed. Glad I am not that person anymore. I wish I could do some things over (college) but I've recovered from that regret.

The best way to forgive yourself is to simply do the best you can, every single day. A great day today and a bright future tomorrow is the best present you can give to yourself. Make it happen by keeping your sobriety tool box handy at all times. We can do this, people! Let's start another sober weekend.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I love funnel cakes!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Catching up on a few of the posts - Ruby, so sorry to hear about your father. I hope you are doing okay and that you have a peaceful weekend. It's probably hard to even hope for such things, but I am thinking of you all the same. You have had a rough month, but you are amongst friends here.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Feeling empty and can't seem to stop crying. Kind of sucks that I am at work and am interviewing people.

I have no motivation to complete my tasks. I just want to crawl into myself. This feeling is what triggers me to drink. I can't stand feeling depressed. I have been feeling this way for so long and when it lifted it was like I breathed fresh air for the first time. Now I'm back under the bell jar and I can't seem to escape it.

Alcohol will not help. I know this. Going to the gym would help. I know this.

I just feel so hopeless and useless. So self-absorbed and selfish.

I guess I am more of a whiny downer than you are Ruby, and you are proving that it is possible to push through hard times without drinking. I wanted to let you know that you are inspiring me to stick to my goals.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
alright already, what exactly is crazy golf? I thought it was what we here in 'merica call miniature golf. But it can't possibly be the same thing... can it?
LB have you been reading my mind again? Yeah, SAO - what in the heck are you talking about? I have also been thinking this is some kind of "miniature golf" or "putt-putt golf" as we called it in the States growing up. In that game, we only use a putter, and we use colored golf balls. We try to putt the ball up hills, around corners, through windmills and into the clown's mouth. Is this the same thing or what? We certainly don't have fancy leaderboards and rarely keep score. What in tarnation are you up to over there?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

NewHope, you can get through this without drinking. Getting my hair cut was a great distraction. Distraction is good. It's OK to feel sad if you're feeling sad. Go work out and be kind to yourself.

I'm going to read to my daughter. You know, I've lived in the Midwest my entire life and I've never had a funnel cake.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

You're in my thoughts, Ruby. I was at the Minnesota State Fair today (work, not fun). Good grief, the food just keeps getting more ... well, I don't know what word to put in there. But more, whatever it is.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I'm on the bus!

((((Ruby))))

Great to see everyone!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

- Minnesota State Fair Food -
- Wisconsin State Fair Food -
Old 08-27-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh Ruby - that is rough. I hope it's some rest at home he will feel better.

I'm not going to the Minnesota State Fair this year. My son is going twice - once with a friend and once with his dad. So I'm off the hook. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. And I don't need the food temptations right now. When I do go, I have 3 must-haves;0: pronto pups (like a corn dog but batter is different), mini donuts, and a cream puff. It's possible to find healthy stuff, but I never do. I do enjoy getting there right when it opens for the day before it gets super crowded and going through the animal barns. I'm just glad I don't have to go this year.

Long hike tonight - I'm pooped. Goodnight, folks.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I'm back. Just talked to my brother who said dad isn't as bad off as my mom and I made it out to be. That he's just depressed because the enormity of how sick he is is setting in. And weak because he's not eating.

I'm feeling better. I've never been to the Wisconsin fair or Illinois. I've been to Iowa and Minnesota. I want to go back some day. It's fun. Where else do you see butter sculptures?

I like the people watching. That's the best part.

Soberclover, I hope you feel better! Sending a child off to college has to be tough. I remember how exciting it was for me and how quiet my parents were when I went. And I was only 70 miles from home.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

MLD, left to my own devices, I'd be fine going to the State Fair once every five years or so. One of my friends goes nuts over it ... several visits each year. Go figger.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

It's the excitement of the fair. It's fun and it's what some people gauge their summer by. Kind of like me and the beach. It's not a summer if I don't go. I finally went two weeks ago.

I'd like to go back but honestly, the temps have dropped to fall like digits.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Bring on fall with lower temperature. This was a hot summer.
Ruby, I hope your news is right and that your dad isn't as bad as mom said. This is a stressful time for your family. Hugs to you.
Ok....good night everyone. ...sweet dreams and see you in the morning.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

*Hugs* @ Ruby .

Newhope , depression eh ? well it passes quicker when we stay not drinking ( this too shall pass) , if it hangs round the we need to get help , drink isn't a solution just a way to stay stuck .

Diet , exercise , watching laurel and hardy films … anything that makes us laugh freely , helps but is incredibly hard to do .

Looking forwards to the 3 day weekend here , busy day today ..

Stay cool , try and enjoy some simple thing , try and spot something that makes you smile or gives comfort .

later , m
Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, evening Trees

Saying that your feeling low or depressed is not whining NewHope. Have you been to talk to your doctor? It may be something simple (and treatable) that is causing you to feel this way.

Ruby, the prognosis for COPD sufferers is much better these days, it's just that the patient can't do as much as they want anymore which in turn makes them frustrated

Sending more positive vibes to both of you

LBrain, BigSomb lol! Indoor Crazy Golf similar to regular mini golf but because it's indoors and there are no elements to contend with the obstacles are much more elaborate so for example where I play there is a volcano to negotiate and an Aztec totem pole on another hole. The Tournaments are not supposed to be taken too seriously and some of the entrance fee goes to charities. Of course being human some people do take it seriously.

Maybe me having people in the crowd with laser beams to blind the opposition along with some hired assasins was going a bit too far

The only downside is the amount of alcohol consumed at these places but if you stick to the golf it's great value at £7.50 a game