Notices

Day 1 of 100 day sobriety challenge

Old 06-13-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Thanks for the words, all! I am starting to think this site could be a powerful tool to help me.

I am anticipating I will need support the most when I am feeling sober, clean, clear headed and good about things, that is when temptation (reward) gets the better of me, every time.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Start of day 3, early morning - got up for my jog, sitting here with coffee. Slightly traumatic sleep but feel positive now I am up. I was a little ignorant and moody with my partner last night and I want this to stop.

I feel like I can get through this week focussed but need to make sure I fight strong urges which I expect will emerge towards the end of the week.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Then make a plan for the end of the week.

I know you can do this.

I understand about being moody - those first few weeks were tough while my brain was in turmoil over withdrawing its drug. The emotions are tough at first (including arguing and being sensitive.)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

I'm using this thread as a little diary to remind me of the reasons to not drink.

Day 4 and I started sweating profusely at a client meeting.

So embarrassing, this doesn't happen when my metabolism and mind is settled.. keep powering on..
Old 06-15-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good luck......I'm looking forward to reading about your challenge.....you'll definitely be feeling much better and your mind will clear. I'm ramping up for my next challenge as well. I'll be watching yours w interest.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

You got this! Do you have things to keep you busy? It helped me to stay busy esp. in the beginning, when those urges came to get my mind busy onto other things.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Yes, I am just trying to bury myself in work at the moment, seems to be working so far although I had a big craving for *** **** when I was making dinner earlier on.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing well so far, keep posting!!:-)
Old 06-16-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good luck on your journey, you will be over the physical withdrawal soon.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

How will you reward yourself when you make it 100 days?

Keep in mind that rewarding sobriety with alcohol is like rewarding cleaning with mud. Pick something now to celebrate on day 101. Ice cream? Special dinner? New bicycle? Whatever you want!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Good idea nonsensical because in the back of my mind, I had not ruled out alcohol. I'll have a good think about that but I like your suggestions.

Day 5 now, feeling clean - urges coming in waves but manageable. I met with a friend yesterday that I told about it and he just said it's great and go for it although 100 days is a long time.. I've been out with him a few times but he's pretty positive about this sort of thing

All the 'bad' trigger people have been ditched, which was not an overnight process but it's done..

...now what to reward myself with assuming I get to 100 days... hmm
Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mebutmuchbetter View Post
Good idea nonsensical because in the back of my mind, I had not ruled out alcohol. I'll have a good think about that but I like your suggestions. Day 5 now, feeling clean - urges coming in waves but manageable. I met with a friend yesterday that I told about it and he just said it's great and go for it although 100 days is a long time.. I've been out with him a few times but he's pretty positive about this sort of thing All the 'bad' trigger people have been ditched, which was not an overnight process but it's done.. ...now what to reward myself with assuming I get to 100 days... hmm
You could reward yourself and your friend, mister liver, to another 100 days. ;-)
Old 06-16-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 5!

On my 100th day, I'll reward myself with day 101.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best.

OMB
Old 06-16-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Think I may have to reduce sugars as well as cutting alcohol.. middle of day 5, ate a huge chocolate bar and feel like absolute crap now.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

I am starting to get anxious now.. day 6 for me and I am starting to fight urges with Friday and the weekend not far away.

I actually have an almost euphoric feeling of sobriety which is producing surges of excitement and I know how it usually ends. I am determined to fight this but any advice muchly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Memuchbeter,, how about having some great plans for week end and to keep you real busy in doing activities, you like to do ? That way, urges of drinking could take a back seat in your mind.. I did the same last week.. I just sat on my piano for hours ,went out for a long drive and had a lengthy 3 course dinner with my family at a non-alcohol restaurant...
Old 06-18-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Your sugar cravings are because your body needs to replace the sugars that the alcohol was converted into. It wants that insulin spike normally there from the alcohol conversion. You need to be careful of this. Try hard to eat a balanced diet. Make sure you get B vitamins especially B-12. Hope you start feeling great! ♡CR
Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

First, congratulations on the 6 days. In my active drinking, 1 full day became an impossibility for me. And I'd have never made it to day 6 without a detox.

I don't want to be a bad guy here, but I'm surprised nobody else has yet put this thought out. A 100 day goal is awesome. It will certainly give your body a rest, and possibly give you a taste of what sobriety has to offer... but if you're an alcoholic (and I don't think you'd be here if you weren't), all that 100 days will ultimately give you is feeling that you've got this thing under wraps. White knuckling it for 100 days is difficult, but not impossible, and most people I know who've succeeded at that have gone back out there drinking with a vengeance. Some, sadly, have died doing so. This alcohol thing isn't something I take lightly. It's deadly.

People have different methods of stopping and staying stopped, which is the only real way out of this. Some, such as myself, choose to do it one day, even one hour at time. That made the most sense to me, as I believe all I really have is this day anyhow. I committed many times to drinking tomorrow when the urges got bad, and several sober decades later - tomorrow never came. Others make a commitment for life, but in all honesty sobriety for life was not something in my first year sober that ever even remotely appealed to me. I wanted to drink again, safely, one day. Thankfully I learned in that first year that that wasn't going to be a possibility.

Not drinking does not have to be a lifelong struggle. There are lots and lots of tools for staying happily sober, yet we need to reach out for them, and then utilize them. The tools that worked most/best for me were AA, and the 12 steps - yet many here have found other means of staying sober.

This ain't easy. It takes willingness, an open mind, getting honest with ourselves, and continually putting one foot in front of the other, no matter what, without picking up a drink. It also takes, IMO, a good dose of humility, and the ability to believe we CAN live a better life than the one we led while actively drinking.

We're all pulling for you here ! I'd just suggest ditching the 100 day plan, and putting into action a plan to live a better more comfortable life, without alcohol, just for today.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Solid post, Joe. I don't see much wrong with the 100 day plan right now. Time changes the way you think. When I drew the line, my initial goal was at the very least until my follow up blood panel at the end of August. Was a much more manageable "piece of time" considering I was trying to get away from 10+ years of daily heavy. Just wanted to get the show off the ground.

Now just over a month in, my goals are changing. The longer term future is coming solidly into focus. I'm still over 2 months away from my next test and I'm already coaching myself of what it means when that day comes. And what it means isn't going to include going back to where I was. I'm growing acutely aware of just how bad the old drinking me was. I don't want to be that person anymore.

A 100 day goal is a great start and the odds may favor that just being an ambiguous date as the OP becomes comfortable and confident in a sober life.