Notices

I want a life

Old 05-11-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 2 Carrie
Old 05-11-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well done Carrie! First days are the worst days! (At least they were for me)
Old 05-11-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It got to the point that I hated drinking as much as I desired it. It was crazy making. Fantastic decision, woman. Stick with SR when it gets weird, too.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum, Carrie! Recognizing daily patterns and habits, then changing and replacing with positive things was key for me getting through the initial days. Make sure you eat well, stay hydrated and focus on keeping on. Abstinence, sobriety and recovery are some of the most beautiful gifts we can give ourselves. Well done!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Carrie and welcome to SR
Old 05-12-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi all, thanks again for your messages. It's comforting to know that you have come out the other side of this and really gives me hope.

Day 3 is almost over and it was a tough one. I was so very tempted just to give in but used some tips from SR and played the tape through and I am thankful to be sober.

I'm feeling OK just the insomnia and itching to contend with. I actually got scared this morning because when I got up my legs were aching and twitchy. Then I remembered that I downloaded the squat challenge and did 81 last night, my body is not used to exercise!

I'm trying to eat well but my diet is not fantastic at the moment. I'm craving snacks and chocolate and to be honest I'm not being very strict with myself, I'm just focusing on staying away from alcohol. I have been taking a good multivitamin and trying to follow everyone's advice and drinking a lot of water (helps with the itching too!). Just trying to make small changes but keeping sobriety my only priority. I have to and want to do this.

I'm very glad I'm here
Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

First thing is to look after your sobriety. Diet can come with time! Congratulations on this first step!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Great job on getting through day 3 Carrie! The first 7 were the hardest for me so you are doing awesome.

Don't worry about your chocolate and sugar consumption. Mine hit the roof early on but it was way better than drinking. You can worry about your diet later on.

Hang in there. I was like you in that every waking moment was spent either drinking or thinking of drinking, or worrying about what liquor store I was going to stop at on the way home since I had stopped at every other one during the same week! You get the idea...

You are doing awesome. Just know that this effort you are putting in now will give you your life back.

Stay strong and lean on this community as much as you can.

Glad you found us.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats Carrie! And welcome.
Like others have said... drink a lot of water! it's easy to forget to stay hydrated when you're trying not to drink.

Today is day one for me. I just keep reminding myself of all the positive changes that will come over the next few days, weeks, months... not to mention all the extra money I'll have!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You've come to a great place.

81 squats will get you feeling sore, especially if you're new to them. If you're like most people I know the soreness should start to subside later tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome Carrie! Look at you go!
There comes a moment when we say...NO MORE! Then the next day....NOT AGAIN. Then days to weeks later...I'VE GOT TO STOP THE INSANITY!

You've just stacked 3 days together in no time. Even though some minutes feel like hours and some hours like days, you really are making huge progress. You may not feel it right now, but you ARE! Don't give up all the work you've put into it. You absolutely have something to build on now!

Funny you mention sweets and chips/crisps.
I have a new addiction to dark chocolate. I was always a candy lover, but now just simple dark chocolate is what it's all about.

We're used to putting thousands of empty calories into our bodies. I found it really does help to have some chocolate once in a while.

On that note....eating smaller meals all day and maintaining a regular glucose level REALLY helped too. It took me a while to realize my mood swings were cycling with glucose levels. After stitching to eating 5 or so times a day, I'm waaaay better.

Super excited to see you take your life back. Your new life starts NOW!

image-1735851780.jpg
Old 05-12-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

3 days - that's great Carrie. The itching & insomnia will get better. The sugar craving is common - I definitely had it. It was under control after a few months. Well, all except the ice cream.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Carrie sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Keep it up and stay focused.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Carrie, welcome to you.
way to go on three days!

yes, concentrate on staying sober. if it means eating chocolate and junk, that's okay. keep the focus on the really important thing.
getting involved with others was a huge help to me. keep reading and posting and maybe check out some meetings for face-to-face support. i found LifeRing meetings hugely helpful, and i know you have them in Dublin. just google Lifering Ireland if that might interest you.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I'm truly grateful for the encouragement and support.

Well Day 4 almost at an end and would be having another sober sleep if I could get any sleep! Today was good, my AV was much quieter than yesterday which I was grateful for as I just feel exhausted. Hopefully the insomnia will ease off tonight.

I'm so much more productive at work and it's so much less stressful without a daily hangover. I found myself turning up the radio and singing along when driving to work which last week would be unheard of. Usually I drove to work hungover, ashamed and utterly miserable.

I ran into my Dad after work (while chocolate shopping!) and we strolled together and chatted. I felt good afterwards and realised that when that had happened before I was in such a hurry to get home and drink that I would be making excuses to get away barely before I'd even said hello. The excuses would always be just BS and lies.

I am trying to introduce some exercise in the evening but took a break from the squats tonight as I did 61 last night which was a mistake 2 nights in a row and I'm walking like I just got off a horse. It strangely feels good to have pain which is not making me panic as it's usually alcohol related!

Thanks again all, I hope you are having a good day :-)
Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four days sober! You will start feeling better day by day.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on four days sober! You will start feeling better day by day.
Thanks Least, can see very small changes everyday

Today is tough and my AV is persistent but I don't have to listen. I am the one in control I have to remember that!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That's makes two of us
Old 05-14-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

The treatment center I was in wouldn't turn loose of me until I was clean and sober, so to speak, for 35 days.

I hope that Carrie and the other newcomers on the board select and follow a program of recovery which works.

I just got out of my AA meeting, which has worked for me since the day I walked into the treatment center and asked for help.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Sounds just like me- funny how we can all be geographically disperse yet have the same story. Alcohol seems to repeat itself, it doesnt care where you live, how old you are or what race you are. Its out to destroy your life.