Notices

Please help remind me ...

Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Solarion View Post

Something I just figured out is that the the benefits of sobriety are subtle, and a lot of them are negative benefits in the sense of certain things and conditions NOT happening, as opposed to the immediate and noticeable effects of the other.
Negative Benefits is an oxymoron!
Change your thinking, change your life.
Look for Positives in everything.
"The Benefits of Sobriety are immediate and noticeable!" - you have no headaches, no hangovers, no guilt, more sleep, eating better...etc...
Old 05-08-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm with flynby. I felt physically better when I quit but I'm still learning and growing and it's been since December 2013 since I drank.

There are immediate benefits but I had to look for them. Running to the store at 9 p.m. would have been out of the question before. Now I have no worries.

Hang in there. Do you have a gratitude list in addition to what you journal? It's a positive reminder of what you have.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Write down the 5 worst things that will happen to you as a direct result of not drinking. I find it to be a useful mental exercise.
Thanks, Non. I did that earlier, with pen and paper because I thought that would be more effective than just in my head.

Stuck on item #1, of course.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sobriety is a million times better than being drunk dont let your AV confuse things

Breakfast with no hangover no guilt shame etc thats a few off the top

Keep reaching out Sol sobriety gets better drinking gets worse

There is no comparison
Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Excellent thread

The changes are subtle at first, yes, and then a year or two into it there's this amazing epiphany that you've changed your life around. Stick with it even when it's tough and you feel it's just a miserable grind at times. It's going to eventually pay off.

This thread was a most excellent read, thanks to all who contributed. Great reminders, and especially about kindling and having to start over. I wouldn't ever want to go back to the starting point.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Solarion View Post
Stuck on item #1, of course.
Me, too, and I've been working on this darned list for quite a while now.

I think it's a great exercise to get the head on right. I never think I should drink, but I sometimes feel like drinking. That feeling has been powerful and overwhelming at times. It has made me anxious and feeling like if I don't get a drink something horrible could happen. It sometimes feels like I'm about to panic. OhmygodOhmygodOhmygod...

So one day I decided I should make a list - the 5 worst things that could happen if I don't drink. For me this simple exercise exposes that anxiety and sense of impending doom for what it is - irrational and absurd. It always calms me down. Allows my thinking to override my feeling.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I like this thread. I'm in the same boat where I'm having a hard time remembering why I'm staying sober (day 80 as of today) when I could really use a "break" from life and use alcohol as an escape. I've been wondering why bother - don't I "deserve" a treat? So reading all of this reminded me of the things I forgot; why I fought so hard to stop drinking.

Somehow I forgot about how my heart felt like it would burst out of my chest just from walking the next morning. Or how my blood pressure was sky high. How my heart would randomly beat out of control. How I couldn't concentrate, how puffy my face was. I just looked sick all the time. And I FELT sick all the time. How is it that I'm romanticizing the drink and forgetting the reality?

Thank you for posting this. It helped a lot.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ohhh, I think I can help here. I recently tried the whole sober thing again, got a few days in, then picked up the bottle again and have been drinking ever since. I'm at a little more than 1L of whiskey per-day.

Trust me, you don't want to be in my shoes. I'm so absolutely livid right now, that I don't think the English vocabulary has the necessary words to describe how I feel. It sucks in every possible way imaginable.

Trust me, it's wise to keep the bottle away from you. Drinking has to be one of the most moronic things you could ever do. There's simply no rational reason for it whatsoever. It makes you look & feel like complete s*it, it destroys your soul, and not only steals everything in life you care about, but leaves with virtually no chance of a good future (if you continue drinking).

I'll give the whole sober thing another college try starting tomorrow, which is when I get to buy myself a new bicycle. I was going to buy one today, but then I realized after paying bills and buying groceries, I don't have any money. I'll transfer some into my account tonight, but I have to wait for the people in Canada to wake up to do that.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I love this thread too!
Thanks for starting Solarion!

We all need reminders of WHY we are doing this.....

The combined wisdom of the people here is outstanding.
I quit one other time a few years back without the forum.

Didn't know about kindling, THOUGHT I could moderate......etc. Well you can guess how that ended.....

So much better informed this time! Thanks everyone!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Here's my list...I hope it helps!

Vomiting, bed spins, hangovers, headaches, tears, suicidal thoughts, panic, anxiety, depression, weight gain, nausea, night sweats, expensive bar bills, cops, being kicked out of bars, black outs, shame, guilt, feeling like a horrible mom, horrible wife, horrible friend, lonely, no future, wasted days & nights, self-hatred, poor health...the list goes on and on and on. :-( Alcohol is evil poison!
Great list Serenidad!!! I Hope this list helps Solarion.