Notices

Hi

Old 05-03-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

so this is the first time I've tried a formal recovery program of any sort though I've contemplated it lots of times. I always end up talking myself into the idea that I don't really have a problem because I can go days without drinking and don't drink all day etc but here I sit with a hangover on a beautiful day--another wasted beautiful day--ashamed of what I did the night before when I was drunk and yet not all the way remembering. Again. So many things I'm ashamed of so much humiliation, so many times I've scared myself or put myself in danger or hurt people when I was drunk but yeah I don't *really* have a problem. Last night wasn't even that bad but I want my life back--my pretty body and face. My sense of humor, my self respect. I hope this can help
Old 05-03-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello
Its my first day here too - lets do this
Old 05-03-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome stime, you have come to the right place if you want to quit. Everyone here is very helpful and supportive. Feel free to have a look round at some of the threads, you may find some inspiration.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome stime. You've found a place where people understand exactly how you are feeling and have been through it. That made a big difference for me. You'll find alot of support here. Keep reading and posting, it does help.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR stime.

Settle in, make yourself at home.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome stime Glad you are here.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It's so nice to be welcomed and have people to talk to about this. I'm sorry if I babble at first but I may need to. My hands go numb when I drink. I can't feel my pinky or ring finger most of the time anymore but I would drink anyway. I do have a problem. I need to not drink and this will help. It's okay to admit I was having a hard time controlling this and need to stop. It's okay to ask for help. Just thank you all
Old 05-03-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Stime!!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new to this too. It helps to see that you aren't alone in this problem, and the amount of people that have been sober for years.

It must get better.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stime View Post
Thanks everyone. It's so nice to be welcomed and have people to talk to about this. I'm sorry if I babble at first but I may need to. My hands go numb when I drink. I can't feel my pinky or ring finger most of the time anymore but I would drink anyway. I do have a problem. I need to not drink and this will help. It's okay to admit I was having a hard time controlling this and need to stop. It's okay to ask for help. Just thank you all
Hey stime, the feeling will come back to your fingers. Quicker than you may think. Babble away. It is good to get it out. It's all ok.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Stime
Old 05-03-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR stime

D
Old 05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You are among people who understand you. I got sober for good over five years ago and don't miss drinking one bit. The rare times I get a thought about drinking, it's vanquished by my rational mind.

Vent away. We understand.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm one day in. We can do this!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you stime! It helps to have the understanding of people who get it. No one in my life had any idea what I was going through. We're glad you found us.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah my husband is amazing and supportive but in the past I'm not sure he has been quick to acknowledge the need for outside help because I'm not either . I haven't always been totally honest about my physical symptoms too. I think I have a lot of nerve damage, digestive issues and I've even had trouble breathing well at times when im drunk. Plus, he loves me and doesn't want me to suffer and it has been hard for me in the past to go without booze so we sort of pretend that my drinking isn't really a problem even though I've seen him drunk twice the whole almost three years we've been married and he has seen me drunk twice last week (it's Sunday or it would've been this week)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey good for you! Doctor was good, she wants me to go to AA. Along with SR. Plus monitoring. I'm for anything so long as it helps. Good job again tonight!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome stime!

I'm in the exact same boat. Never thought I had a problem for the exact same reasons.

Glad you're here and finding the support and help you need this time around.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lesly--what did she meaning by monitoring? I talked to a therapist yesterday that said the same. I'm going to think about going to a meeting today. If I can get myself to not be such a chicken. You?