Notices

New here...day four

Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family and congrats on day four. That's a good start to a better sober life.

What sort of dog do you have? I have two myself.
Hi least-I actually remember you from when I was lurking on the forums five years ago...I remembered your signature-I would too.

I have got a beautiful senior beagle/corgi mix. Sorry, unsolicited story time, feel free to skip over.

I adopted him when he was 9 months old from an animal shelter. Our shelters in our city are great and very thorough, we had to have three interviews to be approved(sidenote: I was not yet a drunk). We only got through the two interviews when we got a frantic call from the shelter saying "come get the dog, come get him now" despite not having our third interview. Turns out in Ontario we have this horrible thing called pound seizure where shelters are mandated by the government to 'sell' any animal in its care to researchers provided the animal has been in the shelter for at least 72 hours. Well, our dog was the preferred research breed (beagle), young, and without medical issues, and they were on their way for him. I've never driven so damn fast in my life, and I thank God everyday we got there first.

All that to say, he is one of my biggest motivations to get sober. He deserves to go to the park each day and carry sticks too big for his head.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey girl! Welcome and congrats. I've been sober almost 21 days and and this organization is heaven sent. I can totally relate to the social anxiety!! I bailed on going to a concert with my fiancé bc I was so scared of the crowds and all the drunks. I'm still anxious just thinking about it!! so instead im eating ice cream on my couch and posting here. Anxiety gone! Agree with statements about your pooch. My 2 year old maniac of a boxer mix is motivation. He deserves to walk every day, and my hangover isn't fair to him. You got this, girl!!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by girlwiththedog View Post
Hi least-I actually remember you from when I was lurking on the forums five years ago...I remembered your signature-I would too.

I have got a beautiful senior beagle/corgi mix. Sorry, unsolicited story time, feel free to skip over.

I adopted him when he was 9 months old from an animal shelter. Our shelters in our city are great and very thorough, we had to have three interviews to be approved(sidenote: I was not yet a drunk). We only got through the two interviews when we got a frantic call from the shelter saying "come get the dog, come get him now" despite not having our third interview. Turns out in Ontario we have this horrible thing called pound seizure where shelters are mandated by the government to 'sell' any animal in its care to researchers provided the animal has been in the shelter for at least 72 hours. Well, our dog was the preferred research breed (beagle), young, and without medical issues, and they were on their way for him. I've never driven so damn fast in my life, and I thank God everyday we got there first.

All that to say, he is one of my biggest motivations to get sober. He deserves to go to the park each day and carry sticks too big for his head.

My Riley (rest in peace) was a Beagirl. Best little dog. My kids grew up with her. I lost her almost four years ago. We had her for 13 yrs.

What's his name?
Old 04-11-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Waves to the fellow Ontarian!

Congrats on day 4 and getting through the evening. Honestly, I didn't go out for months at night when I first quit. It just wasn't worth the effort for me. I had to hibernate and work out how to sit with myself -- soberly.

This site was amazingly helpful for me. I hope you stick around!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So, today is day five, and my first sober Saturday. I had expected to wake up early because I was sober, but instead I slept 11 hours. But what a glorious 11 hours it was.

Usually Saturday is spent fighting off sickness and trying to undo the damage of a typical drunken Friday. To be honest, cleaning the wreckage of Friday wasn’t usually completed until Sunday when factoring in Saturday’s wreckage. I am now looking at a really clean house that came together fairly quickly when not accomplished between beer breaks.

A very positive thing happened today was very much unexpected. I have lived in my neighbourhood for a few years now. I have walked my dog around the same neighbourhood for a few years now. At one point I looked up at the houses on the hill above, houses that I must have walked past hundreds of times. I stopped dead in my tracks and went “huh. Neat.” And then I looked at the sky and went “huh.” I was sure I must have, but I couldn’t recall, a single time I had just looked up at the sky. It occurred to me that I’ve been looking down for a very long time now.

It seems that catching even a glimpse of beauty has left me terrified. Terrified it could be gone tomorrow. Terrified at the realization that maybe I went to war under-equipped. At the sick wears off, I am acutely aware that I now have to get serious.

Just those two brief glimpses of happiness today brought out protectiveness in me usually reserved for my family and my dog. But I’m not sure how to protect it, besides not picking up that first drink. I’ve never battled against that first drink before, never thought I was a formidable opponent, so I never bothered. I’ve never trusted myself much, often times with good reason. To trust myself with something so profound seems daunting and terrifying.

Good night day five. I am happy, terrified but most importantly sober.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
MPV

Sounds like you were really in control of things tonight. That has to be a good feeling. This is my first sober night in a very long time and I am sticking around SR and chatting on FB. Hang in there.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Girlwiththedog you are doing really well on this first weekend! What's on for Sunday?
Old 04-12-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you Girlwiththedog - I loved your observations.

I'm glad you got a good rest - I was exhausted when I finally quit. It's such a relief to begin to heal and truly live.