View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
girlwiththedog

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family and congrats on day four. That's a good start to a better sober life.

What sort of dog do you have? I have two myself.
Hi least-I actually remember you from when I was lurking on the forums five years ago...I remembered your signature-I would too.

I have got a beautiful senior beagle/corgi mix. Sorry, unsolicited story time, feel free to skip over.

I adopted him when he was 9 months old from an animal shelter. Our shelters in our city are great and very thorough, we had to have three interviews to be approved(sidenote: I was not yet a drunk). We only got through the two interviews when we got a frantic call from the shelter saying "come get the dog, come get him now" despite not having our third interview. Turns out in Ontario we have this horrible thing called pound seizure where shelters are mandated by the government to 'sell' any animal in its care to researchers provided the animal has been in the shelter for at least 72 hours. Well, our dog was the preferred research breed (beagle), young, and without medical issues, and they were on their way for him. I've never driven so damn fast in my life, and I thank God everyday we got there first.

All that to say, he is one of my biggest motivations to get sober. He deserves to go to the park each day and carry sticks too big for his head.