Notices

5th of vodka every night for 6 months

Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum man. It's a positive thing you're noticing that you have a problem now.. before you start losing things important to you. Not many people do that.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yeah...I feel fine today really...a little sluggish but for the most part a lot better than yesterday. Thanks for all the feedback its nice to know that there are others out there that have walked in my shoes.

FYI i just turned 29 and I am fit with no health ailments, I think I will be fine with the detox
Old 03-17-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Remember to reach out if things get tough lean on us for support

it will get easier
Old 03-17-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

And please keep posting
Old 03-17-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

will do thx all
Old 03-17-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I drank a fifth of vodka everyday for two years. I could barely function at work the next day and needed to drink a few pints at lunchbjust to ward off the withdrawal symptoms. It lead to a lot of problems in life such as legal and health problems. Go to the Er and they can detox you safely.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am not sure why everyone is saying go to the ER. I feel pretty much fine today...yesterday I could have done though lol. Keep in mind I am mixing my vodka with soda and a few ice cubes so i not just drinking it straight...
Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

If you think you have a drinking problem, and you quit drinking. You're all good. You're young, use it to your advantage.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Insearchofsober - we're so happy to have you with us. I'm really glad you're taking a look at what alcohol is doing to your life. There's always someone here to listen and help - you can do this.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum x
Old 03-17-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by insearchofsober View Post
I am not sure why everyone is saying go to the ER. I feel pretty much fine today...yesterday I could have done though lol. Keep in mind I am mixing my vodka with soda and a few ice cubes so i not just drinking it straight...
Simply because detox can sometimes be dangerous, even life threatening.

I'm glad you feel better tho.

D
Old 03-17-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome, insearch. Be well, we are here.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Isob please reconsider a Dr.

I am 29 also, sobered up a few months ago I while I was still 28. Was functioning fine, if you asked me at the time. I had a job, paid all my bills, spent time with friends and family. I honestly hadn't had anyone tell me I needed to stop drinking. I looked fine on the outside. I didn't black out in public or act out while drunk. I could maintain a good buzz all day If I started early. Towards the end I would usually have a couple during the day nothing "obvious" and save my real drinking for when I got back to my apartment. Alone, where nobody would see how out of control it was.

I wasn't eating well and was starting to signs of physical addiction but nothing I couldn't hide with effort or a drink.

I was underweight but in decent shape. I could physically keep up with most people I knew.

I spent days full of anxiety minimal shakes. I ended up in full blown DT's. Hallucinations involving hearing, seeing, feeling and smelling things that weren't there and a level of disorientation I can't even put into words. It was the most terrifying thing I have ever been through in my life. I spent 8 days in the ICU detoxing. All of this could have been avoided if I had seen a doctor.

I was 28 and this was my first/only detox. Unless you are counting sleeping and being somewhat sober for the first part of the day and a few small breaks for a couple weeks here and there which I hadn't done in years. That is why I suggest seeing a doctor.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hmm for the first time when i posted this i had cold chills/shakes ALL day into the evening. Thats why I posted it because it woke me up. I always knew I was a heavy drinker but when it starts effecting my health thats where it needs to slow down. I do not want to quit drinking entirely, as I do enjoy a few drinks, I just want to beable to say "ok, you have had enough for tonight." I am the same way, im public at bars I don't get (too) out of control, because I am aware of my surroundings but If i am just by myself I know I can get as drunk as I want without anybody knowing. In ways your the same as me with drinking habits but I never drank during the day or got the hallucinations or anything yet to require that type of detox. I am back to normal today just sluggish and feel "confused." I am sure it will take a good week to get it all out of my system back to feeling like ME again, which I haven't felt in ages. And as some have commented, its worth feeling like yourself than it is to feel drunk for a few hours then feel like ****, then repeat because you feel like ****, its a vicious cycle. I think the key is to drink just enough to where you dont feel like complete **** to where you need to drink (to get drunk) the very next day. Before you know it your tolerance just goes thru the roof and your drinking way to much and its not healthy. At least thats my story.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

I tried moderating countless times, it never worked. Drinking more was always the progression for me. Sometimes slowly and sometimes quickly I ended up sick, in bed and too drunk to function. The book, (AA Bigbook) says that "if you can drink like a gentleman our hats are off to you."

I am not trying to lecture but just be aware that a fifth a day of 80 proof is dancing with some heavy risks. Alcohal Poisoning for one. Your youth will help you but if you keep drinking like this it will get you, soon.

Remember, we will always be here to help you if you decide you want to stop.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sorry to ask but how much is a fifth of vodka? I am not from the US
Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

750 ml

D
Old 03-18-2015, 12:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just want to beable to say "ok, you have had enough for tonight.
Everybody wants that. Most of us find we can't.

If i am just by myself I know I can get as drunk as I want without anybody knowing.
This seems to be a conflict with the other statement.

Gotta be honest here - someone who's been drinking a 750ml bottle a night for 6 months doesn't really seem like the guy who's gonna find his off switch.

what if you find you can't find that off switch, insearchofsober?

D
Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Not sure, I have turned it off for the past 2 nights though. Only had one glass the first night, last night I was in a pool league at a bar and i casually drank 3 beers and 3 beers only while people around me were drinking. I did not drink any more. I feel better today than i did yesterday, and look forward to feeling better tomorrow! I want to see how good I can feel again really. I know based on my past theres a strong posibility of a relapse, but I want to beable to tell myself to stop, to always remember how sick i was the other night and how it can easily progress into that again....even if i have a buzz on. Once I have that initial buzz on I need to stop.