Notices

5th of vodka every night for 6 months

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

update 4 days sober i feel great...im actually more excited about feeling better being sober than getting drunk now
Old 03-20-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

It will get even better.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad things are going well insearchofsober
Old 03-20-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

In search of: Congratulations! If you'd gone on like that you would have run out of time eventually with your liver. A nurse told me years ago that dying of liver disease is worse than dying of cancer. I know a fellow who is waiting for a liver transplant and the docs have told him that unless he gets one he will die in six months. He's only 24 and has been drinking for eight or ten years. Your insomnia should be diminishing now. It would return if you resume drinking. Hope you have a good doc. They can help with insomnia if you don't drink but don't get hung up on pills. Way to do that is to make sure the doc controls the supply and knows how to avoid dependency. Some don't know how to do that. Crucial that they do. Some hand out pills irresponsibly. And don't shop around with several docs. Finally I found that it's very important not to isolate but to hook up with other recovering alcoholics, whether through AA or some other way. You do your work at home so that makes it even more important. Good luck and again congratulations. Stay with it and keep posting.

W.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to hear the good news.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi isos.

Your story sounds exactly like me a few years ago when I was living alone.

The only way I managed to stop that cycle was to move back in with my parents for 6 months or so.

I think it's a good idea for you to graduate down on the drinking so you don't get withdrawal seizures.

Best bet is to see your doctor and be totally honest with them.

In the mean time, give your kitty some scratches and chill. Perhaps watch TV with it.

And when you feel weak or depressed come here and get support. This place is my crutch and is really helpful.

All the best mate.

-- note to self. Read entire thread before posting.

Glad you're doing well mate.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

ISOS: P.S. It's really great you're feeling better. If you keep it up you'll make a fine start for recovery. But it's important to realize that it's a start and that your feeling of well being now can lure you into a trap, since it's probably the most dangerous time for you. They call it the "pink cloud", when you're feeling better but you may not realize that your body still has not adjusted completely to the absence of alcohol. So you may sense a voice inside your brain trying to persuade you that "I'm better now. Just one won't hurt." If you fall for that you will quickly find yourself back on the slippery slope. And also remember that the more you can get out of the house and socialize with non drinking recovering alcoholics or other non drinkers the safer you'll be. Trying to tough it out with other drinkers and not drink is definitely not advised. Good luck.

W.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by insearchofsober View Post
Not sure, I have turned it off for the past 2 nights though. Only had one glass the first night, last night I was in a pool league at a bar and i casually drank 3 beers...
update 4 days sober i feel great...

Good luck, mate...
Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hardest part is the insomnia so far. I met a new girl and we went out Friday and had quite a few. Last night I ended up at 4 bars and the strip club....BUT the good thing is that both nights i only drank beer! I remember everything, no drama, I act completley normal its good. I just always stayed away from beer because not trying to get fat. (With the amount I drink.) But I can not responsibly drink liqour anymore
Old 03-22-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

ISOS: Welcome. your story is so much like mine, lots of vodka, work at home, kind of lonely and a loner at heart, a perfect storm for addiction.

Moderating does not always work, at least it did not for me, and many others will tell you the same. One leads to two, which leads to five and then the vodka bottles suddenly reappear.

When you feel alone and need support.. SR is always here. It has been my best tool to allow me almost 2 years of sobriety and a plan to never drink again.

thanks for joining our group!

Recognizing you have a problem and coming here is a great first step.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks...yeah its monday again....i couldnt sleep last night cus i went out on the weekends...so I am back on the bottle

Limiting myself to only 3 or 4 drinks though however. Its not as easy as I thought...benadryl doesent work for anything with me...i have no health insurance so i cant get ambien or sleeping pills, I diddnt wake up until 3:00pm because i only slept 2 hours last night yet spent the whole night in bed trying to sleep. It is because of the weekend going out that did it to me again. sucks!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

(diddnt actually fall asleep for a few hours until like 7 am)
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi ISOS, you're discovering what many of us have found, that moderation is very hard. I went through may attempts at moderation, but they didn't last and that's how I figured I was an alcoholic. It's a mixed blessing. It means you can't moderate, but also clearly shows how to move forward.

You may not like the idea of total abstinence, but for me it was a huge relief not to be continually working out if I was drinking too much, whether I could have another, was the bottle empty etc etc. Now I can relax.

If you have trouble with the idea of never drinking, give yourself a goal of 12 months.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I knew I had a problem for a long time but I thought I enjoyed alcohol and would try to moderate it as well. I could go a few days without drinking and feel okay but I always wound up back in the same situation. I finally quit drinking and once those few days were over that I normally went without my body really started to crave the booze.

I realized it was too much of a drag on my life to have it revolve around alcohol so I made the decision to quit. It was and can still be rough but at least now I am in control of my life and not the bottle in control.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Trying to limit myself to three or four drinks was extremely frustrating for me because I am an alcoholic ... and I rarely succeeded in moderating on the few occasions I tried. After about two to four weeks of continued sobriety my sleep and other craziness really started to even out and I started feeling better all around. Now I've found it easier just not to drink any amount, at any time, ever. If I had "just" three or four I know I would be off to the races again. And even if I could moderate, which I can't, I would just feel extreme anxiety and frustration over it. Good luck, hope you can find a solution - for me it has been abstinence.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I found it easier to quit than moderate. As strange as that may sound.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Adventurer

How are you feeling ??
Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Your story is certainly similar to mine.

It sounds like getting only a little bit drunk is a lot of work.

From what I am told, people who aren't alcoholics don't have difficulty cutting back on their drinking because it really isn't that important with me.

Drinking was pretty much all I thought about.

It dominated my whole life in every respect.

For me, there was an easy (or easier) way to live (sobriety) and a hard way to live (continuing drinking beer and vodka like they were mother's milk, going to bars every night and hitting strip clubs.

I just couldn't take it any more and it occured to me to ask for help.

I did, and I haven't had a drink since that time.

I hope you find what many of us have, amigo.

It takes some work, but it's been a very good life for me - sure better than behaving the way I used to live.

I hope you get help and stick around.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Just wondering

Pretty much every night I have been getting blacked out drunk. I drink an entire fifth of vodka some times...other times just shy of a fifth before i pass out. I start when I am done with work around 5 or 6pm and dont stop untill i pass out. I have tried to slow down and quit but I can not sleep. Tonight I am only having one glass and a benadryl to help me sleep, and I am hoping to stop drinking or slow down immensly...the hangover I had today was the worst I ever had experienced in my life and was a wakeup call...i was shaking, cold, of course vomiting in the morning. I tried to eat something around 5pm I had a little general tso's and then I took like 2 sips of my vodka that I poured a half hour later, and all a sudden I started puking 10 minutes later. I am weening myself off thats why I am having one glass and not cold turkey i dont know how my body will react...and I konw I have gone a night or two without drinking within this past 6 months and I have severe insomnia.

I dont really know why I drink so much, I live by myself and I really think its because I get lonely. So i bought a cat the other day for a little companionship...but its pretty boring lol.

I can get away with it because I work from home so the hangovers dont affect my work.

Where should I start I obviously am admitting to having a problem drinking this often and that much. It used to be just on the weekends but its every night now ***** got to stop before my liver fails. When I drink I go all in and dont stop until I pass out. Last night I fell into my coffee table somehow because I was so drunk!
Stumbled on this site and your comments. I realize it's been several months since you posted this but was wondering how you're doing.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-19-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hi funnygirl. Welcome to sober recovery. If you want to stop drinking this is the place to be. There's lots resources and good people to support you. Start by reading the posts and the stickies at the top of the forums. Feel free to start a thread if you have questions. You can do this! We're all in various stages of recovery.