Notices

Battling Depression???

Old 01-25-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

(((Stratman)))

I recommend seeing a doctor. Removing a bad situation or finding something lovely to concentrate on helps in situational depression, but sometimes depressions come back. I would definitely go to a different doctor--a psychiatrist--and tell him or her that this is not the first time you've been depressed.

Don't be prejudiced against the medicine. It is a lifesaver for many of us.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

You've gotten some good suggestions and a bit of pampering here, Stratman. Some of your responses read as though they're coming from someone who's content with where he is.

I've suffered multiple, serious episodes of major depression over time, and chose to do some things about which I was philosophically opposed in order to take responsibility for my life, for my well-being...in order to heal. Spending twenty hours/day in bed may make us better philosophers, but it does nothing to improve our lives.

I'm reading a lot about what you can't and won't do, and about things you didn't follow through with earlier in your life because you decided they were either not for you, or that things would not work out in your favor, or because people weren't giving you the help and guidance you wanted, or because people weren't interested in helping you, or because you suffered parental abuse.

Describing yourself as a "hippie" or being "natural" is a copout. Do you want to live your life, or are you resigned to sitting on the sidelines? Everything else is noise in the system.

Makes me wonder about the title of your thread.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried everything natural I could, exercise, diet. meditation, you name it...until I got to the point that my work performance basically stopped. Then I got medical help (AD). I had no other choice, I didn't think. Anyway, they gave me a "hand up" so I could at least get out of bed and get something to eat, so I could manage a minimal conversation with the people in my life, so I could go to work and be somewhat functional. Just sharing my experience.

What, exactly, are you doing now to manage your depression naturally? There are lots of options out there.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Frost I was only joking about the good looking part "having the craic". Sorry to hear about your experiences with the reefer, unfortunately thats the downside to an unregulated market which is why a lot of people are pushing for (and succeeding) for legalization around the world.

Hey thanks Soberwolf, great link I am reading more into that now.

Gilmer, I'm sure I will have to at some stage or other. As for seeing a shrink, I got discharged as an outpatient last year. The year before they wouldn't take me inpatient "not mad enough" seemingly. Not prejudice against the meds per se, I'm only now (at last) trying to live by the advice I was given which was after a lengthy stay inpatient btw. Bigtime need to concentrate on some nice things, thanks for getting me back onto that gospel music, as for removing bad situations now thats a hole 'nother story.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

Haha, yeah Im sure lol, I've got more sisters...pm me?? Haha. What kinda musocs that? Liked the blues vibes but then bagpipes appeared!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Frostychick oh I'm not sure about that! I've ended up with enough trouble in my life from PM a married woman before, and another kid that I don't see as well.

Thats a fusion of Traditional Irish, Jazz & Rock & Roll, there is nothing anywhere like it. It's Uilleann pipes actually, and you are so wrong!

Boylan man, yeah same here I have sampled a lot. What I haven't done, is tried working them together or try to integrate them into my life in a cohesive manner. Needless to say I'm not working at the moment, when I could have used those things to function i.e. keep my job they weren't available to me but thats history now. Well I'm back taking the St Johns, and before I drank at xmas I was paying close attention to my diet, doing some exercise and making some simple plans so things were improving. I'm just trying to get back to that stage basically. But the biggest hindrance to my recovery, the only things that have been holding me back and driving me nuts (apart from alcohol) were the toxic relationships. Those have come to a conclusion in the most hurtful ways, the plus side being great: I know where I stand with those now, because that is square one for me and always has been…

Unfortunately it hasn't been pretty, things could have been much simpler than that, the way things worked out set me back a few years actually and had me running for the drink, with no space or peace and all the problems that brings. I'm just tryna hang in there until this court date, looking any further than that is potentially setting myself up for a fall as I so often have done before. I re-evaluate the situation after that.

Endgame hello. Not looking for any pampering or pity, I merely asked if anyone had any tips for battling depression who weren't on meds. Be it diet, lifestyle changes or whatever. Because I cannot be the only one. I appreciate your input but you haven't really said what you are trying to say. I assume you are talking about the meds. Look man, I haven't exactly ruled it out and I do think about them sometimes, my position is like I said its a last port of call. I don't have any suicidal thoughts is what I'm talking about. As for sitting on the sidelines? I been there a few years now. Far too many.

I don't get what you are saying. Nobody likes me here anymore, nobody got my back, no opportunities are coming my way, I got no partner, no real money, no assets, my family are dysfunctional asf, I'm excommunicated in the community… Is there a tablet that can fix all that? I haven't heard about that one yet. I'm not being funny. As for the title of this thread - I don't see anything wrong with it. 'Battling Depression'. Thats exactly what I am doing. As far as I'm concerned, yes I've had setbacks but I am still winning that battle. Because I have been waaaay worse in the past so far as depression is concerned. I only have God to thank for that. Thats whats different this time around, I wish I understood it better but...

Peace
Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When I had depression, it helped to work out. I eventually needed meds though and eventually went off of them.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

Hahaha! Okayyyy.
I noticed there you set you don't want to set yourself up to fail, I don't think people can fail, just because you didn't meet your own expectations it doesn't mean it's a failure.
It's a learning experience??
Uillean pipes huh, that's what I meant!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Miss Frost, I believe that saying relates to other peoples expectations! Personally I don't have any expectations, I'd enjoy a peaceful and happy life though.

I agree with you there, it's a learning experience. It can be easy to lose sight of that fact by times with the auld Māyā and all.

Thanks strategery. Yeah I won't be doing either today, not a wink of sleep. It's either one or the other, mainly the other.

PAWS eh?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My experience with isolated episodes of depression was that it's best to do something about it. I've never suffered from the very chronic depression many people experience, it was more that when I had it, it was pretty severe. Also, whenever I had these, it was always mixed with severe anxiety as well. In any case, I think depression sometimes lifts on its own and disappears without doing anything special, but even then, it may last longer than necessary. I learned this the hard way last time. I started to get better when I finally allowed some people to help me, sought advice, made a "treatment plan" for myself and then implemented it. I did not see a professional though for it, and this would be something I would do differently next time if it happened again. I would recommend that to you, not necessarily for meds, but to discuss it with someone who's skilled at treating depression and could help you explore options. From your posts, it sounds like you have been battling this long enough, and it probably contributes to your struggles with sobriety also. So why not be more proactive this time?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for the last 10 years or so. I think most of my emotional problems were directly related to substance abuse and alcoholism. When sober for long periods I tend to experience a milder form of depression related to my situation in life. I drank away my career and finances and am struggling to get back on my feet. I have problems finding decent employment because I can't pass background checks (terrible credit, DUI, references).

I see a therapist twice a week. I have tried meds but didn't see an improvement. Therapy, exercise, and healthy diet is what I rely on for now.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Stratman, I think the point we are trying to get across -- and what EndGame meant about the title of your thread -- is that you need to take some kind of action. One of the synonyms of the word "battle" is "to fight". You may suffer from depression, but you don't seem to be actively fighting. You are looking everywhere but inside yourself for answers.

Taking action doesn't necessarily mean something physically laborious. It means doing whatever you have to to help get yourself going and beat this. Maybe that means trying another therapist or taking medications even though you are philosophically or morally against them. They aren't going to force you to be happy about anything in particular, but they are going to give you the mental boost you need to get up and take action and maybe even get to the bottom of your depressed feelings.

Saying that you will only use medication as a last resort (i.e., when you experience suicidal thoughts) is like saying, "I'll only use my seatbelt as a last resort. I'll put it on right before I crash."

You can't let your past define you. If you are currently stuck on the sidelines, then summon the qualities that made you captain of the football team and work your way back to the starting lineup.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So smack gave you a sense of well-being, you're a hippie, and you'd rather not have docs or prescription meds involved. Excuse me while I LMAO.

Oh boy.

Print out your thread, grab a highlighter, go through and highlight each excuse you've made in your effort to cop out of living.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh ho ho there Jenny. Well you just made me have an actual LOL, a rare occasion

Your oversimplifying - just a tad! Look the doctor thing is on the cards, I don't even wanna be putting it out on public but I spoke with haennie briefly about this, it hasn't been far from my mind. Its right behind my solicitor, which is imminent.

And obviously thats about my kid, is the whole reason/moment/situation my life came to a standstill in the first place. These things are stressful asf guys, ya gotta believe me when I say that…

And Jennie, I wouldn't like you taking minutes at my meetings, holy cow man! I'm not supposed to be tackling everything at once, thats a doctors order straight up man one thing at a time.

Anyhoo. I'm goosed, my brain is scrambled right now I'l make a proper reply later...

and LOL again
Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I might've been a tad harsh in my reply. And for that, I apologize.

Hope you do remain open to the docs and meds if you are suffering from depression. Stay far away from smack. Hippie, or not
Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Haha, not at all. Your comment is the only one that registered. As for the words you picked out! Yeah I would like to retract them now, that doesn't seem so responsible when you put it like that

I was on my little insomnia trip the other day/night/day, I apologize if I seemed a little trite. I appreciate the comments. I just don't let anything new enter my psyche when I am on that one, I roll with it.

I can get a bit sarky during that. Petulant, pedantic and truculent were the words I used in another thread. So again I apologize for that, I can get a little fruity.

Good start to the day here but that hasn't been long changing. Just got off the phone to legal aid board, nothing unusual but I feel physically ill now.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I've been rolling around on the ground, I'm rocking forwards and backwards in the chair holding onto myself. I dont know if its physical, mental, or spiritual pain I'm in - its all 3.

I have been through this legal process before, there is nothing but a world of hurt coming up for me here, this much I know. How can doing the right thing lead me to so much pain…

F*ck man I gave up my whole life to do the right things and I'm just gettin smashed to pieces everywhere I look. I was a good guy before all of this happened. Now I'm a wreck.

I wish I could sit naked in the rain to help me feel alive instead of dying here, I used to do that at my home place sometimes as there was privacy. It's a good meditation.

I just made 2 phone calls but I am done with this day. I don't know rather to crawl into bed or lie on the floor for a while. I think I'l put on the water for a hot shower.

This sounds pathetic I know. Guys I need help. I'm F'n scared though. Sorry
Old 01-27-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I reach my limit I call for help and back up Stratman.

I don't know whats available in your area - you would know better than me...but it's time to call for the cavalry, man....it'll be ok

D
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Dee I hear that, situation is getting critical now. Freaked to bits as I dont trust anyone around here (and vice versa)

If my stupid F'n ex would have let me say goodbye, I'd back from Oz now with a hundred grand and wouldn't be in this situation at all F****ck.

No point going there though, I've come to the conclusion that ten days in the future are worth more than ten years in the past. It's me and God now.

Thanks for the reassurance, its time to face the world I know. I have a plan I just have to sit tight for now. I think. F* ck this man
Old 01-27-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Stratman, exercise outdoors has been found to be as effective as medication for some types of depression. I suggest to you try a website called Beyond Blue. It's Austalian but a wonderful resource for those suffering from depression or anxiety.