It's not, really. I'am surprised.

I'am not giving up.

Surely it must get better.

DD
Old 01-25-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give things a chance dave

three weeks and one day ago you were drinking, and had for many years before that - things do get better... but we have to be a little patient too.

Have you made any other changes yet besides just not drinking?

D
Old 01-25-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thinks it's how you interpret better. To me, I'm happy not waking up with a headache, or feeling crappy, or wondering what I did or said. I'm happier knowing I am strong enough to say no to a drink and if have the willpower to stay sober and take care of myself for me and my future. Maybe just look at it differently?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Look again my friend, things are better. You just may not be able to see it, YET. If you are feeling low when you would normally be drunk, well yeah that's normal. Get through this a few more hours and see how you feel.

If you aren't doing anything other than what you did while drunk, just not drinking, than it is going to suck. Hang in there, we didn't become a drunk over night so it is gong to take a while to learn a new way.

Spend this time thinking about what you want to be doing instead of missing the easy good feeling of drink. Have some food. Have a lot of cold water. Eat some damn ice cream. Get through it, it is so much easier to fight this, than it is to hate ourselves tomorrow morning, and then do it all over again for the rest of our lives.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by DuhDave View Post
I thought it would be better than this.

It's not, really. I'am surprised.

I'am not giving up.

Surely it must get better.
Originally Posted by Anewyear View Post
I thinks it's how you interpret better.
I think it's how you interpret "it". 3 weeks is early days.

At 3 weeks, I wasn't shaking in the morning. That was better. I wasn't having blackouts anymore -- that was better. I wasn't trying to hide my drinking from everyone, lying, sneaking money from the family budget to buy booze -- that was better. Some things get better faster than others.

Try this, DD -- is there ANYTHING you can say is better? One thing can be a lot!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I think it's how you interpret "it". 3 weeks is early days.

At 3 weeks, I wasn't shaking in the morning. That was better. I wasn't having blackouts anymore -- that was better. I wasn't trying to hide my drinking from everyone, lying, sneaking money from the family budget to buy booze -- that was better. Some things get better faster than others.

Try this, DD -- is there ANYTHING you can say is better? One thing can be a lot!
I clicked thanks, but I thank you personally for your post. Just one thing can make "it" ok, and sometimes it is just one thing to get us through to the next good thing. After awhile we are surprised by a string of just one things that are better that we see a different way.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

I don't know about you, Dave, but I spent too much time wishing that I'd appreciated what I had before I lost it all, both before and after I put down the drink.

I'm now much more interested in what I can or will become than in what I am or what I was at any given moment. That alone is enough motivation for me to keep on going.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know it gets better well done on 3 weeks

It takes time for the mind body & soul to heal
Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know it's still early yet and maybe I'am being impatient with myself.

I'am having some good days and some Blah days. I guess that is to be expected.

Thanks Again for the reply's

DD
Old 01-27-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Year of drinking can't be sorted out in a matter of weeks, give Sobriety a chance, it gets better!!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dave, it will get better, and remember that you need to make changes in your life that will help to make things better. Good for you for 21 days sober!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not sure if things get better, but they get real. And for me, that's all that counts right now.

If things end up being awesome, great, and if things end up just being ok, then fine. At least I will live life on life's terms.

Then when I go up to see the big guy upstairs, I'll have something real to account for.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 21 days, that's great! It took me a lot longer than 21 days to feel better. Things will keep improving, keep your eye on the prize!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

DUh, 28 days and its not all that great (but not horrible)! . i will give it another month and then at that time i will see if there are any underlying healths issues that are keeping me a little unnerved. guys our age just dont snap back that quick
Old 01-27-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

At twenty one days I wasn't sure if things were better, but they definitely weren't as bad.

It's like if you're out adrift in the ocean and your boat is filling with water, and you manage to plug the leak. Sure, you still have (at the very least) a whole lot of bailing and paddling ahead of you, but at least the boat's not sinking anymore. And isn't that a load of worry off your mind?

Stick with it, it grows on you!