Notices

Stay Sober Holiday Week Here! Dec 22-28th

Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello! My family is trickling in from across the country. Soon the house will be full. I feel like taking the week off; but I have to stay busy. I'm glad to see Nonsensical got his wish for a shotgun seat. Hi Shenzhen, charlee, Bernie, gilmer, weasel, et. al !
Old 12-22-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Old 12-22-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Had a recent slip. Need this more than ever.
Hey Tang... Good to see you. What part of your plan went awry? Good idea to stay close to SR and this thread. Post all you want as much as you want to stay in front of the craving. Don't forget to urge surf!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I hope y'all don't mind making a few stops because this girl still has shopping to do!
Coffee first. Then, it's on. My goal is to get it all done today, no matter how long I have to be out in the hustle and bustle. Then, I'm coming home to a crockpot of Chicken Enchilada Soup and a list of movies that Netflix is retiring in the new year. (A quick online search should lead you to it, or Feel free to PM.)

Thanks for warming up the bus early for us, Weasel!

Hi Shenzy and Tang! Stay close. We got this!

LBrain, Another great selection. It goes perfectly with a big cup of cinnamon hazelnut.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Turn on the radio!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Dear Glimmer.... I am pretty sure our days are still 24 hours long... I think you mean we had the longest night and our days will get longer... But then again... It's all in the perspective.

That glass of wine or drink is not really calling you. It has no power to jump in our hand... It's all how we see that glass... That day... That night!

just could not pass the that up! Love ya G!
My days ARE getting shorter! I live in a different dimension!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Make it snow, or make in so?

for the Trekkies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mBZFlteYRE
Old 12-22-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I think you mean we had the longest night and our days will get longer... But then again... It's all in the perspective
Perspective, indeed!

I remember when my oldest son was just 3. His mother and I had just separated and I was renting a room in someone else's house. He had come to stay with me for the weekend and we had to share my room and bed. After the story reading was over he went to the light switch and said, "time to turn the dark on".

There's always another way to look at things.

I didn't stop drinking. I started to live a sober life.
I didn't give up alcohol. I gained a better existence.
Perspective.
Get some.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey Tang... Good to see you. What part of your plan went awry? Good idea to stay close to SR and this thread. Post all you want as much as you want to stay in front of the craving. Don't forget to urge surf!
Great question weasel. I thought I could participate in holiday festivities like I did in the old days. What will I do next? Post here when I'm thinking about pouring a drink.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Happy Holidays, Y'all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bacon-tree.jpg (44.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My, that is a lovely tree, Non!

I am in for the sober holiday week!
I finished up most of my holidays gifts yesterday. Phew. Tonight after work I will tidy up my house and begin to wrap.
Short week at work, which will be awfully nice.

This will be a good week.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good morning, or afternoon or evening, depending where in the world you are! I'm in and today is a brand new day!

Way to go endless and welcome! Good to see you Shenzy and Tang. We can do it f we stick together. Keeping perspective like Non said is so important.

I had a rotten day yesterday which I posted about on the weekend thread. The concept that sobriety and recovery are much much more than just not drinking alcohol was reinforced. Drinking would only have made a bad day worse and I need to learn better ways of coping and dealing with anger and stress.

Ok. NOT raining on festive parade but it is about support and tools here, right? Right? Well, Charlee has the rain already. I'm back to work after having a week off. I don't mind either. I work Christmas Eve but it's a short day. I even work Friday and I seem to recall that Friday is also a short day.

On Christmas I will attend an 8 a.m. AA meeting which is more like going to coffee with friends. My family will then head to my grandfather's house for late lunch/early dinner. No going anywhere else for any of us as my MIL is coming with us. My SIL's family are all in China so we are all together for the day. Pretty low on the stress level. And absolutely no alcohol. My grandfather quit drinking almost 30 years ago. The focus is on family and fun and enjoying each other.

Since food was mentioned I will be bringing a Bowl of my festive every occasion guacamole. nothing says Christmas like guacamole and chips! My mom asked me to bring it. No crab legs and drawn butter though that sounds very good.

I will be checking in from work later on.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Cardomatic

Welp ~

No driving through a Blizzard today over Vail Pass at ~10,600'. 'Tis wicked up there. This decision settles the lingering question: I am smarter than I look. The Interstate will still be there tomorrow, so we'll travel then in nutso, heavy Traffic.

Light Snow here intermittently in a London-type Fog, and a few things to keep busy. More Garage Wiring perhaps, after making good progress yesterday.

Sobriety Maintenance Planning has us at a good Pal's Xmas Party on Xmas Eve. Quite voluntarily, and an Invite accepted w/o angst. About all Normie Drinkers within our lil Group of 6, sans me. I've got the driving Home part covered, which feels both good and totally normal these days. Well, as normal as I ever feel anyway. Meanwhile, an invite for Dinner on Xmas Day at a Binge Drinking Gal Pal's House with her 30-something Binge Drinking Daughters had zippidy-doo-dah attraction for me. So, I turned down that one. My parsed answer: 'Ummmm, not this year'. My answer next year may very well be the same, but I don't unnecessarily get into the whole aspect of 'never Drinking again' before the exact situation arises. Fact is, that is the way it's a gonna be forever. However, my boundless pragmatism causes me to not tackle Xmas 2015 right this very moment. I find it easier to dole out my Sobriety to Drinkers lil bits at a time. They 'get it'; most sooner rather than later.

No Collateral Damage from this decision to skip a sotted Xmas Day Dinner this week. As the saying goes on College Campuses regarding unwanted overtures: 'No Means No'. This 'No' type of Guano gets easy as time goes on...

I'm a big Fan of 'Claymation', so here's the inimitable 'Wallace & Gromit' making Xmas Cards the old fashioned way. <2 minutes long.

'Ole Blue Eyes' provides Music to get in the mood by...

'The Christmas Cardomatic' ~ Wallace & Gromit

'The Christmas Song' ~ Frank Sinatra

-----
Old 12-22-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Just lost a long post again...
Welcome Shenzy! It's nice to meet you. Stick with us here and you will have lots of support.
Nonsensical. ..I like your perspective reminder. Yes, sobriety is such a good thing.
Well this week is finally here. Let's enjoy it. I'm so grateful that I have you all to share it with. A light work week for me...not working much...
Tang.....good to see you back again. Stay close to SR and you can do it.
King crab with drawn butter sounds soooooooo good! I may consider it for Christmas eve.
Ruby, I hope it's a better day for you. Although vacations are great, I'm always happy to get back to my regular routine.
OK- I'll see you all later. Have a wonderful day!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Christmas cookies are done, presents are mostly bought but I still need to wrap them. I have a few errands to run today and then I'm making a nice pot of hot chocolate and we are going to wrap gifts. I'm doing Christmas at my house this year so it will be a lot easier to resist the pull of alcohol.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm in for the holiday weekend.
I hope everyone is having a great start to their holiday weekend!

I am not sure what is going on with myself, but I keep on having dreams of being offered different types of alcohol in my dreams. The night before, I was going on a date, and the date was going to be started by taking shots, which I politely declined.
Last night, I dreamt I was with my husband's family and we were out at a restaurant. They had ordered me a craft beer (which was my thing when I was drinking) and I just stared at it and didn't drink it. However, it felt awkward since they were trying to be nice. I am not sure if my mind is trying to get me mentally prepared for dealing with these situations, or what is happening, but I hate these dreams.

Tang and Shenzy- I am so glad you're both here. This group is a lot of fun and it's a good way to remain accountable.

Conquest-the chicken enchilada soup sounds great.

Non-I suddenly have the urge to sing, "O bacon tree, O bacon tree"...

Soberwolf-I hope your blood tests turn out great.

Ruby-I hope your day is going much better today.

Happyandfree-I hate it when a long post gets deleted. So frustrating.

Gilmer-between yesterday, and hearing that your son is riding in on a broom I saw the below gif and thought of you. I hope it makes you laugh.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Spongebob always makes me laugh. My favorite characters are Mr. Krabs and Plankton.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yah Sure You Betcha It's Christmas...

I recall that a Swedish Work/Company connection came up in the most recent Weekender Thread.

Here's one ya won't hear just anywhere...

'I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas' ~ Yogi Yorgesson

-----
Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Finished my shopping for Christmas Eve, hosting 20. No alcohol, so that will be easy.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I like Spongebob too. I am also a Phineas and Ferb fan with Dr. Doofenschmirtz being my favorite character. Very funny lines for adults which perfectly outline the angst of feeling left out and insecure and trying to fit in and make your mark on the world.