Old 12-22-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Ahoy, SR team!!

May I come aboard? Let's do this!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

BDZ Hosting 20 non-drinkers sounds like a lot of support and good sober influence ..

Hey y'all ,
did most of the turkey shop today .. just a few bits and pieces to do , sometimes i like to go in the supermarket on christmas eve late and see how quiet it is …. most people in the UK have done it all by 4 pm …

Driving into work this week is easy too so far … i may have a few days off in january perhaps a couple of weeks as i'm feeling the call of the wilds … and fancy staying where there might be a chance of seeing the northern lights ..

Take care , m
Old 12-22-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi gang,

Gray and overcast here in the south. If I use my imagination I can almost see what a snowflake would look like falling out of the sky. That's about as close to a winter wonderland as we get most years!

The neighborhood house to house Christmas mingle is tonight. I have pretty much been MIA on the social scene since October 1st so I plan to go to at least the first house or two. I am prepared with pomegranate juice, citrus slices, and fizzy water from a green bottle my wife got. All the kids still lazy and sleeping. I can't stay in bed that long...can't be my age right?!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Checking in, day two here. Still have a headache from Saturday. Going to my first meeting tonight. I am starting to get the butterflies, but once I air some feelings out, I know I will feel better.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

Checking in, day 9 is well under way. I feel good and motivated, haven't gotten any major cravings yet. Last night was my work Christmas party and I decided it was best to stay home and not be tempted since the parties are usually alcohol fueled. I'm looking forward to Christmas eve and day, I have lots of cooking plans and I'm pretty excited! I hope everyone is doing well and staying the course!!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by abettersunday View Post
Checking in, day two here. Still have a headache from Saturday. Going to my first meeting tonight. I am starting to get the butterflies, but once I air some feelings out, I know I will feel better.
Congrats on day 2! Welcome to SR and the Sober holiday thread.

Check in often and let us know how your meeting went. The first few meetings can require an adjustment but don't let butterflies or any flies stop the process of learning to live a sober life! This thread alone will show you many examples of how it can be done.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jayman View Post
Checking in, day 9 is well under way. I feel good and motivated, haven't gotten any major cravings yet. Last night was my work Christmas party and I decided it was best to stay home and not be tempted since the parties are usually alcohol fueled. I'm looking forward to Christmas eve and day, I have lots of cooking plans and I'm pretty excited! I hope everyone is doing well and staying the course!!
Hey jayman! Welcome! Day 9 is awesome!

Adjusting plans to stay the course is a common approach but sometimes a hard one to commit to. Pressure can mount. I try to have back up plans if I am forced to participate.

Let us know how you holidays go... Check in often!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Hey jayman! Welcome! Day 9 is awesome!

Adjusting plans to stay the course is a common approach but sometimes a hard one to commit to. Pressure can mount. I try to have back up plans if I am forced to participate.

Let us know how you holidays go... Check in often!
It is difficult, especially when I can't really let them know the real reason why I can't go. I've kinda portrayed my wife as this controlling, angry woman even though she's the sweetest thing, and if they ask why I just say, "The wife wouldn't like it."

I'll be checking in every day!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jayman View Post
It is difficult, especially when I can't really let them know the real reason why I can't go. I've kinda portrayed my wife as this controlling, angry woman even though she's the sweetest thing, and if they ask why I just say, "The wife wouldn't like it."

I'll be checking in every day!
That is kind of funny but not... What is good is you did what you need to keep you safe. If they will never meet her than use all the tools you need!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I think my holiday excuse will be that I'm on antibiotics, think I picked it up in another thread haha.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey Weekend . . . ahem, I mean . . . Holidayers!!

As always Xmas sees me have only a few days off, finish tomorrow for 3 days and then back on Saturday for a half day, then onwards to New Years.

Let's do this!!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I'm in the right place! I have been feeling a twinge of triggers, so rigging myself up with some support! :-)
Old 12-22-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am in!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

You are in the right place JT!

Good to see everyone!!! this is going to be a trying week but this is the best right place to be and we will make this fun too!!!

DONE with work for the week!!! Home and turning right around to head to the theater... to see Exodus... that seems to draw me in for some reason..

Check back later!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

RIP Joe
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I m in too
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Ok... At the theater... On my handy dandy SR phone app.

Not only did I come here just me but not a soul in the place. Nice big reclining leather chairs and ... ME! I took this opportunity to run up and down the isle once.... The rebel in me came out.

I also got an Autofry hot dog. For those in the know don't gag. For those that don't an Autofry is the process of taking a selected object and placing it in a big stainless steel box with a trap door on the top. The chef then hits a button or two supposedly to set a timer but I secretly think it's to infuse said object with super secret flavors that no other cooking process could ever reproduce. After a minute and five seconds the object drops through a trap door in the bottom of the silver box perfectly cooked and delicious!

I got the hot dog object but you can do hamburgers, chicken in Various forms ... Almost any object will work!

Ok... Previews starting! Gotta run!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey weasel, I can cook a hotdog with two nails, an electrical cord, and a board. The Autofry sounds like overkill.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Count me in.
Making a plan for dealing with all the drunks in my family...and there are a LOT of them!

It's not so much the temptation to drink with them, it's more trying to escape the stress that usually accompanies the revelry!
So, I've decided to be in charge of the kids this year...I'm even going to sit at the kids table (which is so much more fun than the grown ups table anyway!) We're going to eat our desert first!

I've been sober for 17 days and I'm realizing how big a part stress played in my drinking. I'm in a kind of tenuous place and am trying to do my best to avoid stressful situations as much as possible. But...can't avoid Christmas, but I can be prepared.

So glad to be able to check in here and know I'm not alone in my journey!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Let us know how it is Weasel!

And yea Brain, thats some sad news. I had to explain to my little brother who he was. Gettin old.