Notices

What keeps you sober?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What keeps you sober?

Hello I'm just trying to build a stronger recovery plan everyday. I know my family and friends are the main reason I am sober today. I was wondering what keeps you sober?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me. The fact that I don't want to go back. I choose daily not to purchase liquor, avoid triggers, remind myself how sober is a choice...my choice, no one else.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Whast keeps me sober

Knowing for a fact that life is so much better sober im not just saying that i love being sober so much the more time goes on the more i learn

wouldnt swap my sobriety for a billion pound or all the money in the world i love it that much

time for din dins
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

What keeps me sober ?
The knowledge that i give today and tomorrow the best chance possible of being glorious … sometimes it is .. sometimes it isn't . I've given it my best shot and that, i think, is worthwhile if anything is this life is

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, avoiding triggers (people and situations), doing a daily inventory about how great I physically feel, especially compared to the past years. I have 4 good meetings I go to and would hate to disappoint my fellows.

Mostly, I have this thing/trick I do...instead of viewing my whole drinking history as a movie to keep me sober, I "skip to the end". In other words, I playback in my mind the mornings after - horrible vomiting, 3 day headaches, seeing the look on my gf's face, having to ask if I did anything stupid or said something horrible, broken bones, black eyes, black outs...etc.

Lots of people are behind you - so many it would take your breath away.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I stay sober for "ME" now. I am fighting for "ME".

I stayed sober for almost 6 years for everyone else and was miserable! I'm not sure I even believed I was really an alcoholic during that 6 yrs.

Well, one year ago almost exactly (10/24/13), I decided to drink a beer. I wanted to prove that I was NOT an alcoholic! Haha. Fast forward to last week and I was extremely drunk, crying, feeling suicidal, depressed, anxious, full of self-hatred, 20 lbs heavier, puking, getting kicked out of a bar and experiencing a torturous hangover the next day.

Sooooo.....the test is complete....I have convinced MYSELF that I am a full blown alcoholic. It wasn't enough for everyone else, including a judge to tell me I was....I needed to know for myself. I'm STUBBORN! What a relief that I finally know this but what an awful year! I never want to go back to that!

For me...drinking is a slow suicide. I have 3 choices: sobered up, locked up or covered up. I guess when we choose sobriety we are choosing LIFE. If we are alcoholics and we drink we WILL die or wish we were dead or both eventually. :-(

I saw many many people die of alcoholism during my 6 yrs of sobriety and always said to myself "why don't they just stop drinking? That will never happen to me!" Haha. Boy was I wrong! My disease has progressed and I know I will die if I drink the poison.

I am choosing to stay sober because I want to live and be happy living. Thx for the topic! It helped me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-22-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not drinking
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Fear of jail cells and institutions

Lots of prayer and meditation hitting a meeting or two a week.
Reading the posts on here how alcohol is effecting their lives is a good deterrent as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The obsession to drink has been removed so there is no conflict anymore whether to stay sober or not. I have no desire to drink.

I still get upset, angry, lonely and tired. I still cry and I get sad at times but I don’t need alcohol to deal with it anymore. I can live life on life’s terms. There are times it is very hard to do that and not want to just crack but I don’t want to live that way anymore. I have found a new way to live. I have accepted life. Everything that happens, happens for a reason and not everything happens to me, it just happens, life is not personal. It is not against me, it just is.

I talk to other AA members, I read my BB, I pray and I go to meetings. These all help me to live life knowing I am an alcoholic but that I don’t have to drink because I am an alcoholic.

Like soberwolf my sobriety is so precious to me. I would not risk it for anything or anyone. It is mine. I did a lot of soul searching, self inventory, amends and prayer to get to where I am now. I am not going backward, I have already been there and I know what it looks like. If I should return to drinking I don’t think I could get sober again.

I have another drunk in me, I just don’t have another recovery in me. I truly believe that so I will not take the chance that if I should ever want to jump back through the looking glass that I may not make it back through next time. I may not get clarity again. I may not get peace again. I may not get joy again. I may not get serenity again. Those are all gifts I have gotten being sober and I am not going to return them. It is not worth it, to me, to open the door and find out. It is closed.

It takes willingness, time, patience and practice. It does happen but not over night. I wanted sobriety more than I wanted to drink and I was willing to put as much effort into sobriety as I had to. This time I was willing to do whatever it took.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

A combination of things keeps me sober.my belief in a higher power,my programme of recovery,several AA meetings each week and no desire to drink whatsoever.

Helping others has been a big part of my recovery,helps me on a daily basis.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The desire to be the best that I am capable of keeps me sober. I really want to be successful and happy and I know that if I drink I cannot be anything but a drunk crazy person... I really feel like it is either or and nowhere in between. Plus I have a little boy now. I grew up with a miserable drunk mom and I refuse to be that way for him.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

I feel incredibly lucky that I was able to get as bad as I did without any major consequences. I did a lot of really great things in my twenties, despite being drunk half the time. I managed to start a career and travel a lot and make good friends. I've messed some stuff up — financially in particular — and embarrassed myself at times, but overall I feel very, very lucky.

I don't want to waste that luck. I've gotten way too close to the edge and by all rights I should have seen worse consequences.

So I'm sober because I've entered my thirties and I still have time to have a life that isn't thrown off course by this s***.

Serenidad — sounds like you and I had very similar years!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am staying sober today, just one of many
one days sober added together at a time
with a program of recovery filled with lots
of knowledge about my addiction taught
to me 24 yrs ago.

A recovery program to help build a strong
foundation, consisting of steps and principles
to incorporate in my everyday affairs and
live my life upon.

In following my recovery program I have
been able to remain sober, healthy, happy,
honest and blessed with the gifts of the PROMISES
that are granted to us and is written in the Big
Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I am sober today because I continue
to pass on my own ESH- experiences,
strengths and hopes of what my life
was and is like before, during and after
alcohol.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

God and the twelve steps.

Fear of what could happen if I use or drink has never kept men sober. The steps put me in a place where im not obsessed with using and not obsessed with how I'm not going to use.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

The new found love of life again, seeing the world through sober eyes, family and sober friends.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

To be in total control of myself ~ to never have to worry about embarrassing myself due to intoxication again, to never have to worry about when and where I drive, to never have my thoughts taken over with obsessive thoughts about my next drink, to never wake up at 3 am wondering what I did and what happened, with anxiety at the highest level imaginable, and pain from my stomach ulcers and the need to vomit because I poisoned myself. To know that I will never shame and hurt my children and grandchildren, even into their adulthoods, like my alcoholic mother has done to me.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The God of my understanding keeps me sober. through the steps I had a profound alteration in my reaction to life. The problem was removed, there is no longer any need to drink. Even in the most trying circumstances, drinking does not occur to me. I do my part, sometimes not so well, trust God, clean house, help others. Permanent sobriety is the goal. I'm sober for good, not just for today.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The grace of God -

I can't
He can
I need to let him.......

Now, that said - God gave us brains to use so an effective plan of Action is required. Several members have posted methods and tips - you can check out threads by Dee74 - FreeOwl and Soberwolf just to name a few that popped into my head.

peace
Old 10-22-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The utter disgust of how I used to live. Now, I can say "I don't drink"--and mean it!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What keeps me sober is my kids; both my daughters and my furry kids. My daughters trust me again and I take so much better care of my furkids now than I used to do.