Notices

What keeps you sober?

Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Trying to not *** up things I've been dreaming about for a long time or have just dreamed up and started.

Not getting in the way of my own heart and goals.

Following my genuine internal inspirations, something I've always had a lot of (except during my worst drinking times), deriving personal meaning from the experiences, and trying to transmit these when possible.

A good dinner.

And not screwing up my makeup the day after, like I did yesterday, trying to implement too many unknown "tools".
(No drinking over screwing up minutia and insignificant things.)
Old 10-22-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

Being genuinely happy these days but not forgetting the memories of my past are what keeps me sober. Thinking of the person I was when I was dependent on alcohol is enough to keep me from going back to that lifestyle. I have no desire to relive the sadness and despair that will come if I relapse.

B
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i have experienced so much pain with drinking in my life time
prisons, fights, waking up in horror places, losing my kids, losing my home, losing all my money
ending up with nothing but a flat that was covered in pee and rotten fish smells was the normal way of living for me because the drink had took me down and futher down than i never thought possible

the last 2 things left for me were to either be kicked out of that flat and be out on the streets or to die from the amounts of drinking i was having
i was really so ill with it all

how did my life turn around ? simple aa and all that goes with it, but most importanly it was those people in aa who were really working there 12th step who went out of there way to look after me, to thoese guy i owe them my life
they knew my life could change and turn around were as i didnt i never thought it possible i would see my kids again let alone become a single parent to me my kids and bring them up for the last 9 years

today the only way i can pay these guys back is to try to give out what was given to me and thats the hope that no matter how bad things are there is a way out its not the end of the world as we might see it when we are new and trying to get off it

what keeps me sober is my experience of where i have been as i can clearly see it today and aa the way of life i live today, ie being grateful for small things instead of always being selfish and wanting everything my way etc
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

These are the things that presently keep me sober:
  • An absolute certainty that alcohol will destroy my life
  • The very good probability that it will kill me
  • A belief in a Higher Power, which I call God, but doesn't fit the traditional definition
  • Prayer
  • The 12 Steps
  • AA
  • Exercise
  • Eating well
  • Remaining honest, willing, and open minded
  • Reaching out to others when I need to
In early recovery I used pretty much all the suggestions that are in the book Living Sober. And excellent resource for anyone new to sobriety.

And something I don't think I ever mentioned here that I thought about and was going to post about in another thread, but didn't. Early in my sobriety, when I was going through the steps, I remember a day that I had a particularly deep and earnest prayer session. It was one of the rare days in early sobriety that I felt really good. In that prayer I turned my life and will over to my HP's care, and a gave a super special request that I be protected from that first drink for the rest of my life. I stated that I knew a day would come when I wouldn't care about alcohol, or god, or anything that was at that time fueling my sobriety.... and I asked for extra protection at those times. Kinda begged for it actually . And while it sounds silly to me reading that back just now, I do actually believe the intent behind that prayer that day had a profound effect on my life and my sobriety. There have been more than several instances in my 30 years of sobriety that I'm not quite sure how I didn't pick up a drink. I can't help to wonder if it was that single prayer that protected me in those times. Whether it was or wasn't, all the above has worked and is still working. Have no desire to drink today, nor for the rest of my life.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What keeps me sober is the knowledge that I lost my career due to drinking. It ain't gonna happen a second time.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What keeps me sober is that I've finally found myself again and I don't want to lose her to alcohol...ever again.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What keeps me sober? Thinking of how I behaved last time I was drunk .....
Old 10-22-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

There was no hope when I was drinking. I'm starting to find hope now that I'm sober.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My biggest tool for staying sober is remembering what it was like. When I remember how much I suffered mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, the decision to remain sober and to continue moving forward in life is a no-brainer. To drink is to go backward for me at this point. And I actually enjoy being sober now. I am not sure I'd even want to feel a buzz or feel "out of it" anymore. I like being coherent, and thinking rationally
Old 10-22-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Alcohol started out as a safety net and became an anchor that dragged me down. I am sober because I want to live, see, explore and experience the world. I wanted to step up my game and I simply couldn't get to the next level with alcohol holding me back. I lived the hard drinking life for 10 years, and drank for 20. There's nothing more to learn from drinking, I've seen it all. Been there, done that, and I got the hospital gown to prove it! Enough was enough.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The whole thing just seems ridiculous to me now. Now that the cravings are long gone I look at it more like how a normal person would. I can't understand why anyone would want to do that. I know that one drink and I will be right back there so I keep moving away from that addict mentality. Like Gracie said I don't know if I have another recovery left in me. I don't ever want to relive those first months. Also like Fantail I got off lightly considering the fact I had a pretty severe drinking problem. I know that if I pick up again bad things will happen the next round.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Many reasons but if I had to choose only one:

I simply could not take the daily hangovers. I know it sounds obvious but I just couldn't live through one more. I thought I was going to have a stroke or heart attack. My soul was dying every day.

The exchange rate became too skewed. A few hours of (artificial) enjoyment for a week of sweating, heart palpitations, feelings of doom.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So far what keeps me sober is that I know that I can't moderate over the long haul, so I know that if I pick up a drink, sooner or later I will be back to square one, and that wasn't a good place to be.

I also realise life is actually okay without alcohol and I don't need it, even if I thought I did before. I can cope with life and even enjoy it without booze and that is good for my self-worth. Drinking again would lead me back to that place of feeling helpless and hopeless, and I don't want to go there.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

What a great topic. So many interesting responses.

I stay sober for the joy, happiness, freedom, and peace that I've gained in sobriety. It was a long, hard climb to get to this point, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize what I've gained.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The awful memories of my last 6 months as a drinker keep me sober. I never want to go back to that place, and to achieve that I must stay sober.