Notices

Shocked in AA meeting

Old 10-13-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Let it roll off your back. If what you were doing was helping you, continue.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovered

I don't focus on how OTHER people behave. I focus on ME. I tried "adding AA meetings" and didn't get much out of it. It was only when I added the AA program (sponsor, steps, service), did I get relief.

Just maybe this woman was trying to help you. Maybe try taking her advice. Maybe ask her to sponsor you.

When I am disturbed, the problem is me. What is good about that is I can do something about that! I can't change other people. I can only change me. And that is what AA does.

Glad you are here. :-)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses!

I do have alot of "me" to work on. I know in my heart that she really did mean well. I need to break down my walls and let people in. I do have some trust issues, and can be overly sensitive, so I really appreciate your comments.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Luper View Post
I am pretty much a lurker not a poster here, but if I didn't have SR and all of the things I have read regarding your stories and suggestions, I would not be at 47 days today. I have tried many, many times to quit until I found this site.

I added AA meetings to my toolbox along with AVRT, RR, WFS, recovery books, etc.

I attend a small AA early morning group on Saturday and Sunday. There are mostly older gentlemen there and they are very supportive and kind. My problem is connecting with the women. I have always gotten along much better with guys I guess, as they don't bring all the drama and snarky crap up all the time. I mainly just go to listen and learn from these people as I have horrible social anxiety issues.

Well, for the most part, I have been able to just walk away from some of the things these women say to me. I am very quiet and hate confrontation. But in Saturday's meeting, this woman was there that has been sober for many years. She took me aside and LAID into me about only attending meetings on weekends and not sharing during the meeting. She told me I would never succeed in my recovery that way and that I needed to seek out other meetings and share my story. I was shocked! I honestly didn't know what to say. So, being the doormat that I usually am, I thanked her and left. I felt horrible and mad all the way home and was really craving a drink, thinking "what the hell?"

I thought about all of the things I have read here regarding different ways and tools to use for your own recovery process. I trust what you have all gone through and share. I called my best friend and talked to her, then I talked to my son. I didn't drink.

Now I am just questioning everything. I know I shouldn't let other people and what they say get to me, but I have always done that. I was upset yesterday and didn't go to the Sunday meeting. I really missed it. Guess I'm just lost today. I don't want to go to another group. I have made some really good sober friends there that I trust. And she is not the first one to say some things to me. Maybe it's me??

I guess by typing this I answered my own question. Just take the things that help me and leave the rest? Or just use the other tools I have and not go back. Maybe I am just too sensitive.

Please share any thoughts. And thank you for sharing your experience here because it really does make a difference!
sadly there are idiots in AA (just like any other place) you WILL run into people trying to TELL you what you should do.. maybe they have the best intentions? However, AA does not agree with anyone TELLING you>>> You MUST do anything. period. the ONLY requirement for Membership is a Desire to stop drinking.. don't let One person wreck AA for you.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
However, AA does not agree with anyone TELLING you>>> You MUST do anything.
One of the two guys who started AA wrote a book...you may have heard of it, it's called "Alcoholics Anonymous"

He put rather a lot of "musts" in the book.

A.A. Recovery - 103 "MUSTS" IN THE BIG BOOK.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Luper, first of all I hope you don't let this discourage you from coming to another meeting that you enjoy and find helpful. Go next weekend!

I too am a supersensitive soul (which is one of the reasons I found the desensitization that alcohol provided so appealing). This situation would likely really affect me too. And I don't know about you, but even MIRecovery's remark about "spectator sport" would hurt my feelings and send me on an internal dialog of "but... but..." (just an example, I'm sure the remark was well-meant). Part of recovery for me is learning to deal with life and many of its unpleasant situations along the way. Learning to accept others as they are and learning to accept myself as well. (No self-deprecating "doormats" anymore please!) I find myself slightly out of my comfort zone more and more often and bettering myself in the process. I now have to deal with a lot of people and witness a lot of drama which I find exhausting. I'm taking it all as a learning experience. Easier said than done, but I think we can benefit from learning how to not let things affect us so much. Shrug things off in some cases, speak up back in others... We can keep hiding behind the quiet demeanor, but if it's affecting our lives negatively, we should try to work on it. Especially if we crave some connections and positive outcomes that may happen when we come out of our shell a bit.

I hope this is helpful. Take from it what you may.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I do have alot of "me" to work on. I know in my heart that she really did mean well. I need to break down my walls and let people in. I do have some trust issues, and can be overly sensitive, so I really appreciate your comments.
That's good. The fellowship only comes alive when you decide to let down your walls.

There isn't much fellowship in "lurking"
Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
I don't think that fits in at all MMB.

No where does the OP mention being accosted by a group of holy rollers.

She said the older guys there are friendly and kind.

One woman said, essentially, that it's a good idea to participate a bit more by getting up and sharing... Maybe a little forceful, but delivered from a place of wanting to help.

Petes post and the OP are chalk and cheese.

I'm baffled as to how you've drawn a parallel.
I agree with MMB. Control freaks criticize and tell other people what to do. "How can I help to support you in your sobriety? Is there a reason why you don't talk much in meetings?" would be the appropriate way to be of service. The woman was out of line. And Luper said she has made some good friends in this group. This woman's nasty demeanor triggered OP to want to drink! That is dangerous and not what AA is about. I'm not surprised by your opinion though, as you do much of the same here on SR. The "guy who wrote the book" is the one who developed the program. Some random control freak at a meeting is not.

Luper, I'd ignore her and go about my business. 47 days is an accomplishment you should be proud of! Good for you for not drinking. xoxoo
Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
One of the two guys who started AA wrote a book...you may have heard of it, it's called "Alcoholics Anonymous"

He put rather a lot of "musts" in the book.

A.A. Recovery - 103 "MUSTS" IN THE BIG BOOK.
are you in AA Hawks? Ever hear of the AA preamble? and the only thing you need to be a Member?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please don't let this thread deteriorate into a program-bashing thread.

Luper, my suggestion is to stay away from any and all toxic people, at least during the early days of recovery. Focus on you and what you need to continue to stay sober. Don't waste energy in trying to figure out a control-freak's purpose.
  # 31 (permalink)  

AA is a program. It has tools and insight and practices that work.

AA meetings are made up of people - with all their issues, faults and quirks.

I hope you won't take this person's treatment of you to exemplify the program or what it has to offer.

I'm sorry you had that experience, I don't believe that was at all appropriate or in keeping with AA's purpose, principles or traditions.

Perhaps find another group, or just ignore that person, or if it becomes harassment, ask the meeting chair if you could speak with them after a meeting and ask for some support if an issue like that comes up again.

Nobody should be treated poorly like that. It may be that person believed they were trying to help. Your description sounds more like they were trying to take your inventory.... Which all of us who understand AA know; we can only be responsible for our own
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am and after I read the book, I realised that the old saying "there are no musts in AA ".... Was a tad misguided.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=readerbaby71;4952440] I'm not surprised by your opinion though, as you do much of the same here on SR. [/QUOTE ]

Breaking News... This just in!!!

98% of Recovered Alcoholics are NOT professionally trained linguistics experts and a few of them will even give a non sugarcoated version of things from time to time.

We aren't sure about the other 2%... They won't talk to us.

Here is Bob with the weather.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

good to see ya see this.
however
I suggest being careful trusting people in AA. talkin the talk is real simple at a meeting. the rubber hits the road outside the doors and that's where the walk has to be walked and some truly are sicker than others in AA.
theres something in the BB:
We alcoholics are sensitive people. It takes some of us a long time to outgrow that serious handicap.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
are you in AA Hawks? Ever hear of the AA preamble? and the only thing you need to be a Member?
yup, only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
IMO theres more to it to be a sober member, and I don't mean sober is in without drink. sober as in of sound mind, which happens by working the program. not just goin to meetings and not drinking, which I still haven't found in any AA literature that just those to things treat alcoholism and for myself wouldn't work. I had to do the footwork.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Pushy hardliners do more harm than good but please do not let her make you give up on AA. While she may have had good intentions, approaching a newcomer with 47 days and accosting them with high pressure tactics is out of line, IMHO.

Work your program on your terms. Eventually you will WANT to share but 47 days is VERY early in your recovery. I know that for me, sharing has helped me grow and let me describe my situation to other members so they know where I am coming from.

Keep coming back and you will soon be making some sober friends.

Good Luck!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I can't add much to what everyone else has said... I agree with them all. All I can say is I've had similar experiences with women in AA. I'm also a quiet, sensitive who has trouble sharing. I guess I'm just saying you're not alone... there are rude people everywhere. It's easier on the boards here to ignore people... they're not in your face like at a meeting. You answered your own question... do what works for you and don't worry about the rest. Hang in there! You're doing great.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Luper - sorry that happened to you and obviously you handled it quite well. I don't go to AA so take what I say with a grain of salt -- but in all the different tools I've used, there have always been moments of 'what the hell?! Why is this person saying this? I don't need this C***'

Even here at SR, I've gotten responses or just generally read others posts that I really disagreed with but I'm glad I stuck around b/c he good advice has by far outweighed any negatives.

Sounds like you've found a good meeting, I hope you keep attending despite the negative reaction from one person.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I've left many many many AA meetings feeling worse than when I went in. I've been told so many "truths" by well meaning AA members, and as a newbie at the time, I listened. Now I know those "Truths" are their truths, not mine. Some of those "truths" were things like "you have the wrong god as your higher power," "you're too happy to understand the seriousness of this," along with "you smile too much." HUH? "You don't share enough in meetings," "you share too much in meetings. " As a newbie, I was so confused. One lady like you've described would tell me over and over again that I was wrong. It didn't matter what I did or said, she would tell me I was wrong. If I washed the coffee cups after the meeting I did it wrong (her word) or I did it for attention instead of service to others, and if I didn't volunteer,. . .well, you get the point. She didn't just do this to me, and she was very prominent in that group, so we listened. When I asked her after a while why she said that, her response was that I needed to be torn down until I was a rag doll in the corner, then AA could rebuild me. Yeah, that wasn't helpful and I left AA for about 2 years.

So, yes, there are well meaning folks in AA who are really awesome people and are really there to help and be helped. And then there are bullies in AA (there are bullies in every aspect of life, so why would AA be different?) They may think they are well meaning, but I believe they push more people out of the rooms than help. Unfortunately, they don't come with nametags identifying who is who.

Since, I have found an AA group where respect is rampant. They are very serious about sobriety, but I haven't seen anyone act as a bully. I don't go often, but when I do, I am welcomed.

I'm really sorry you experienced that. I'm sorry I allowed it to happen to me, but like someone else said, I was trying to fit in and work the program by listening to others who had walked the path. This post is such a great reminder that people need compassion and respect, and that we need to choose our words especially to newcomers.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

BTW - my post wasn't intended to bash AA. I still go. It was just to relate that I've experienced it, too. Newcomers are trying to fit in, and need guidance. If I had found my current AA group first, I would never had left AA. ANY program that is working for you is GREAT in my book.