Notices

Interesting breakdown of drinkers...

Old 09-29-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I went from the top decile to the bottom. It's not always good to on top.
Agreed; actually the bottom feels pretty darn great. Who knew??
Old 09-29-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Agreed; actually the bottom feels pretty darn great. Who knew??
Ha! Yes it does!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've seen more reliable data that shows nowhere near 10% meaning a lot less drink that amount daily
Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
I've seen more reliable data that shows nowhere near 10% meaning a lot less drink that amount daily
I was thinking that. I mean, I'm an alcoholic and I rarely drank ten drinks in 24 hours much less ten drinks a day for a week. Seventy drinks a week would have killed me. A ten-drink hangover kept me from drinking ten the next day. My consumption put me between the seventh and eight decile. Some people are just stronger than me, I guess, but those stats just seem beyond reality.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I agree. I would have looked at the 18 bottles of wine a week and thought, "oh, I don't drink 18 bottles a week, maybe I don't have a problem after all".
Same! Thank God I didn't see this 46 days ago.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Happy to be in that 30% these days. Spent way too many years of my life in that upper 10%... (although I'm not sure I fully buy that 10% stat)
Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Numbers seem consistent with others I've seen. One out of ten (10%) of us are alcoholics. Before stopping I was way way out on the counting range - a six and a fifth a day. Count me in now for the 30% who don't drink. I stopped just short of dying from it. I too was surprised at the size of the block (60%) that don't or hardly drink.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
one thing I found interesting is that 30% are non-drinkers and another 30% seldom drink at all.....

so, basically 60% are in a category that alcohol isn't even close to the center of their lives.

how many of us, as active drinkers, wanted to believe that "everyone drinks"?
This, to me, proves as well that alcohol is one helluva drug. That those of us that are "allergic" to it, or have the gene to become addicted to it, go whole hog. But the "rest of society" doesn't even find it that - appealing? - what's the word I'm looking for ... attractive. And that the middle turf between no-drinking and all-drinking is somewhat desertous, barren. Like there is no middle ground.

If y'all get my drift. I'm having trouble putting that concept into words, for some reason.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ever notice that alcoholics have promotional products? T shirts, hats, bottle openers, can coozies, all kinds of stuff emblazoned with their logos.

They know who they are marketing to.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

18 bottles of wine per week? That would have been a light week for me back when I drank! It was more like 21 bottles, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I wonder what percentage of non drinkers were formally ten percenters??
Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
I was thinking that. I mean, I'm an alcoholic and I rarely drank ten drinks in 24 hours much less ten drinks a day for a week. Seventy drinks a week would have killed me. A ten-drink hangover kept me from drinking ten the next day. My consumption put me between the seventh and eight decile. Some people are just stronger than me, I guess, but those stats just seem beyond reality.
That's what was so scary- I would drink three bottles of wine, sleep it off, go work a nine or ten hour day in the kitchen and come home and drink three more the next night. I kept that up for years. On very rare occasion if I overdid it even by my standards (say, a whole 3l box of wine = 4 bottles) I might be hung over enough to miss the next day, but not often.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
That's what was so scary- I would drink three bottles of wine, sleep it off, go work a nine or ten hour day in the kitchen and come home and drink three more the next night. I kept that up for years. On very rare occasion if I overdid it even by my standards (say, a whole 3l box of wine = 4 bottles) I might be hung over enough to miss the next day, but not often.
Everybody is different. I'm over 200lbs and had a monster tolerance. So you're talking around 15 drinks for me to be actually "drunk", even then not falling over drunk.

Pretty scary really.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

So folks have been legally profiting from my willingness to give 50-80% of my income for my dope all this time? Wow!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
750 ml/day of vodka can be done and I did it for years right up to death's door.

Thank God those days are over.
I did It for a little over ten days with beer on top and that was enough to land me in hospital, hallucinating and feeling like I was on deaths door.

Thank god they're over indeed
Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
I wonder what percentage of non drinkers were formally ten percenters??
I was wondering this too, Hawks!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

TTT, I am also over 200 lbs and used to drink a 1/5 of finlandia before I would go out to the bars and then drink 10 to 20 more beers/shots and still be able to be reasonably coherent. However, in the last year or so if I drink 8 to 10 beers I slur, cant talk coherently etc.

No doubt things have changed and my monster tolerance is now quite different. I take this as a sign to quit. Since drinking used to be fun and I would talk all night long, the booze is no longer fun since when I drink, I just sit there and look stupid, even worse when I try to talk and slur like I drank a handle of whiskey when in fact I have only had 8 beers. Good time to get another passion I think. Plus the day after not drinking is so much improved over the day after drinking. It all make total sense, but the change is difficult.

From being tin the liquor business you would be shocked how many people drink like they say in the 10%. The people run the gamut, rich/poor/educated/ugly/pretty/young and old all alike. In my experience the largest amount of drinking is not done in bars but rather at home. Used to sell a lot of cases of booze to people who did not want others to know their consumption. Also had customers who would contract with me to buy 25 cases of beer on sale and pick them all up at the first of the month when they had $$.

Feel pretty crappy about doing that now, I was sort of enabling them to excel at being alcoholic. I just looked at it as a business. I guess I also gave great deals on food to make people fat.

Who knows.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I was a solitary drinker. I didn't want people seeing me drink out in public. But I would get good and hammered, then go hang out somewhere. I loved being on the pier in the big lake near my place, just sitting on a bench and watching the waves & people.

I sure could put a lot away in the course of one day, or over a long weekend. Scary, indeed.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Ten drinks a day? I did that for decades. Way more. Its not a contest, I just want to put out there that its not crazy to imagine. Ten percent of the public though? I think that number is high. Im guessing its more like a 2% thing.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
That 10% drank on average that amount, meaning some drink (a whole lot) more and and the others less. So, yes, the percentage of drinkers drinking that specific amount or more would be less than 10%.