Interesting breakdown of drinkers...

Old 09-29-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting breakdown of drinkers...

wow...

Think you drink a lot? This chart will tell you. - The Washington Post
Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would be in the top category. Amazing that 24 million people drink that much too..
Old 09-29-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very interesting that alcohol companies rely on alcoholics to sustain their profits.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

one thing I found interesting is that 30% are non-drinkers and another 30% seldom drink at all.....

so, basically 60% are in a category that alcohol isn't even close to the center of their lives.

how many of us, as active drinkers, wanted to believe that "everyone drinks"?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice article. I remember when I bought my first liquor store and the previous owner told me, you don't want the "joe 6-pack drinker", you want the joe 18-pack drinker, because he will come in everyday to buy another one. He also told me if you can get his wife to buy from you too, with her 5 liter franzia white zin you will have a good business.

I have to admit being around this type of consumption made me think my problem, while a concern, was not that bad. Well it morphs into bad.

Thanks for the article. Definitely an eye opener.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
one thing I found interesting is that 30% are non-drinkers and another 30% seldom drink at all.....

so, basically 60% are in a category that alcohol isn't even close to the center of their lives.

how many of us, as active drinkers, wanted to believe that "everyone drinks"?
I never drank until the past few years... and now it's too much!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was in the top tier for sure, but not by as much as I would have thought. Unbelievable that many people drink that much. It shows as well how completely untrustworthy medical data on drinkers is, because that would suggest people drink much less than this. That's the problem with trusting drunks to tell you the truth about alcohol intake, it isn't gonna happen.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TTT,

I think the problem with this deal is the statistics can be manipulated to make which ever case you want to promote. Take the high side and a few people have a really big drinking problem, on the other hand most people 60% don't or seldom use it. I love stats like this though, lets you know what is really going on. Paretos law must not apply to "addictive substances". Think how heroin would look statistically, or the consumption of bacon!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bacon!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
TTT,

I think the problem with this deal is the statistics can be manipulated to make which ever case you want to promote. Take the high side and a few people have a really big drinking problem, on the other hand most people 60% don't or seldom use it. I love stats like this though, lets you know what is really going on. Paretos law must not apply to "addictive substances". Think how heroin would look statistically, or the consumption of bacon!
I agree. I would have looked at the 18 bottles of wine a week and thought, "oh, I don't drink 18 bottles a week, maybe I don't have a problem after all".
Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with this completely, especially about that you can apply these figures to the consumption of almost anything.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

750 ml/day of vodka can be done and I did it for years right up to death's door.

Thank God those days are over.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its true we are not alone. 24 Million Americans drink like I did. Now add to that how many are in recovery that used to drink like that too. It feels like a lonely disease. But we are not alone.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I agree. I would have looked at the 18 bottles of wine a week and thought, "oh, I don't drink 18 bottles a week, maybe I don't have a problem after all".
Oh yeah I completely get what you mean. I'm not saying that as a "I didn't drink that much after all!" kind of reaction. I just mean that there are so many contradictory studies that it shows how unpredictable the medical effects of alcohol are. The only thing I know for sure is the more you drink, the worse it is.

Too many variables for there to be any consistent way of predicting an individuals risk.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I'm #1! I'm #1!

Oh wait a minute......

I am so glad to have been blessed with the ability to stop. At the end, I was going through a case of beer every 2-3 days and an ounce of pot every 2 weeks or so.

But I didn't have a problem..... YEAH RIGHT!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh...my...god...

Awesome article, huge reality check. I would be a 9.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I changed my view of the alcohol companies a while back. For a long time, I thought that liquor, beer and wine companies and were simply providing a beverage for the average drinker market. But statistics prove, and here is new set of statistics, that the reason they produce the volume of alcohol they produce, is to supply the alcoholic market. Maybe the producers of exclusive liqueurs, or the the small micro-breweries or the small vineyards don't consciously do so. But, I think the big producers know who they are making their product for.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Feels good to say that I've fallen off the charts!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

30% of Americans remember what they said and did last night, never wake up hungover, humiliate themselves in public or return to consciousness in jail after a DUI arrest.

That's a good group to be a part of.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I went from the top decile to the bottom. It's not always good to on top.