Notices

Fired from my job for being intoxicated

Old 09-17-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Fired for being intoxicated without being offered any help? Did they test you for alcoholism using a standard test? I thought it was illegal to fire an alcoholic without offering a treatment plan and a 2nd chance. This is the 21st century, alcoholism is a disease. Do they fire people with broken arms or cancer too?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Defcon I thought it was policy to offer help on the first offense also. Someone mentioned a friend there that did this and he kept his job. I talked to my HR manager about it and she called corporate I guess. Got back with me and said if I asked for help before the offense they would have offered me treatment.

That really sounds backwards to me. I can see termination after a second time, after treatment. I'm in Maryland and I thought that's the way it worked. Apparently not unless they don't know what they're talking about.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Polar maybe once you have focussed on getting and staying sober you could look to get your old job back. If they see you have gotten you act together maybe they will give you another chance??
Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by DefconOne View Post
Fired for being intoxicated without being offered any help? Did they test you for alcoholism using a standard test? I thought it was illegal to fire an alcoholic without offering a treatment plan and a 2nd chance. This is the 21st century, alcoholism is a disease. Do they fire people with broken arms or cancer too?
Only partially true. One cannot be fired (without offering treatment) for 'what one is' (an alcoholic), but it is perfectly legal to fire someone (without offering treatment) for 'what one does' (intoxicated on the job).

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. Folks can also be fired for what they cannot do [not being able to perform their regular duties (which might, at times, include folks with broken arms and/or folks with cancer)].
Old 09-18-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that you should not offer that you were terminated because of alcoholism and that you are in treatment. If you are asked, I would keep it as vague as possible and mention health issues/family issues, without being specific.

It is important to put recovery first, but it's understandable that you want and need to find a job.

The fact that you say you haven't reached rock bottom yet, is honest and yet scary. I hope that you can stop drinking at this point and begin to move forward with your life.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I was suspended from work for being drunk on duty but they gave me a second chance, provided I sought help immediately. I have never divulged anything of my drinking to subsequent employers. I would lean on my savings for a bit to get better as you browse around for jobs. Of course you need to keep your home. xxx
Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5 now. Not too bad considering. Just nervous about the future.

If the state does accept my unemployment claim, which I don't think it will, I will need to seek out at least 2 jobs per week and keep records to continue receiving it. I'm not sure how this will work if I enroll in a treatment program, if I can even afford that. Do they keep you there or can you go out on job interviews? Ugh...I need to make my 401k last also just in case it takes a while to find new work. I know I should get that off my brain and just focus on recovery. But it really needs to be a balance of both somehow.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
The fact that you say you haven't reached rock bottom yet, is honest and yet scary. I hope that you can stop drinking at this point and begin to move forward with your life.
I didn't reach rock bottom either. But losing my job because I failed a random alcohol screening forced me to skip a few floors. Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

My rock bottom came up to meet me halfway so to speak.

It's the old cliche, when you think you have achieved, set your bar higher.

This was my opposite. I don't need to set my bar lower. I achieved the 'pinnacle' of lowness for myself.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Legalisms & Strategy

'Back in the day', it was absolutely verboten for a former Employer to disclose why an Employee was terminated. Period. Instant potential Legal Action from the discharged Employee.

If in your Shoes, I would work up my lines - as I tend to do - and answer 'My Boss and I had differences of opinion about how well I fulfilled his expectations. I was at this Job 'x' years [fill in the blank truthfully], and I looked forward to it. My sudden Termination surprised me.' Blah, blah, blah... White Lie Truth #1: there were differences in expectations. He expected you to be sober on the Job. White Lie Truth #2: you did look forward to your Job [even if you hated it]. It paid the Bills. White Lie Truth #3: you were surprised.

Personally, I would know enough about a Company pre-Interview that I could educate them on what they do, and their Markets. That makes you a unique potential Employee.

Job Interviews are often spread among a number of Folks. They then compare notes later on their impressions of you, and the consistency of your Stories. Fatigue sets in by the afternoon, and Interviewees often 'slip'. They get 'too' comfortable. Rehearse your Lines and deliver them effortlessly. Just preparing to do that will keep you occupied in advance of any Interview and help you feel as if you're managing this Process, rather than feeling jerked around helplessly by it. This, then, helps calm Nerves.

Almost everyone looks down and to one side when they're lying. It's the Brain taking a moment to compose a lie. Rehearse until you could tell a CIA Officer a lie straight to their Face without being caught.

'Earn' the right to telling your next Employer these White Lies by staying clean and doing well at your next Job. You will have been handed a major Gift from the Cosmos when next hired; not to be taken lightly. Create your own Reality that makes getting State Unemployment irrelevant by getting hired. And, hired while permanently Sober. That change will make your next Job the best one you're ever had.

'We're burning Daylight' ~ John Wayne
Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

thanks mesa man for saying this for me.

The only thing your former employer is ALLOWED to say is that you worked there from this date to that date. Anything else and they over stepped their bounds. It is up to the person to maneuver the facts to keep their best interest in mind.

I know this is fact. At least here in the good ole US of A.

Additional info: Unless you are part of a professionally sanctioned or licensed or are under federal codes of conduct etc. There may be certain disclosures available from certain agencies. But if you are just a regular working stiff, your information is PRIVATE.

Last edited by LBrain; 09-18-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: disclaimer added
Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

that's a big hit, but you can turn it into an opportunity.

Not having to turn up at work tomorrow means you have nothing but time on your hands to turn up at AA, get yourself down to a local rehab program if there's one accessible to you, start hitting recovery with all you've got.

Surely work will be a concern - but like another poster said "cart before horse".

Give yourself a few weeks to go full throttle at recovery and establish a foundation for success in that. Diving right into another job or job search is likely to distract you from the #1 priority at hand - getting yourself sober.

As for job applications - I would not volunteer that you were dismissed for being intoxicated nor that you're an alcoholic. I would suggest coming up with some more general answer to that question and focusing on your qualifications and providing references from any and all other sources that might be able to provide a positive referral for you.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great advice everyone. No, I'm not ready to jump into a job immediately. Still cloudy and having a hard time getting out of bed...achy with no motivation. Beer or liquor has been my coffee for quite a while. Don't know why it wakes me up but it always gets me moving.

I figured I'd take this week to rest and reflect on things, and then look into a program Monday. Oh, and dump out that half pint of Fireball I just found in my medicine cabinet. I don't remember stashing it there at all. lol
Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome. Like others have mentioned you need to focus on staying sober before you move on to a new job. As far as I know if you live in the US your former employer can only confirm your employment dates and position. They are not allowed to discuss your work performance or why you no longer work there. Do some research on this but only after you have a plan to stay sober, otherwise your just going to get fired from your next job.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Even if you feel stuck, every minute, hour, day you stay sober is moving you in a positive direction. Try an AA meeting, by all means! Look online and find the closest one and just go. I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you that it will help you immensely. In later sobriety you might find another solution, but AA is at its best when used in really early days. It will provide comfort and you wont feel so alone.

Take a breath and stop beating yourself up. You are making a very necessary change in your life!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Cool

Just a couple of minor points......................:

1) Even though a past employer is not allowed to tell a future employer why a person is let go, they can say whether that person could be rehired in the future (a 'no' is a pretty good hint to a prospective employer that the person was fired 'for cause'); and

2) You keep mentioning your 401k. Since I'm not sure how old you are, one thing to remember is it will probably be taxed and penalized up the wazoo.....just a thought.......................

(o:
NoelleR
Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

hopefully this is the the wake up call you need.

No way tell any new job about the firing. can you get a lodger for a short period to help with the bils?

you need to stay sober & stop wasting money you don't have on alcohol.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Just a couple of minor points......................:

1) Even though a past employer is not allowed to tell a future employer why a person is let go, they can say whether that person could be rehired in the future (a 'no' is a pretty good hint to a prospective employer that the person was fired 'for cause'); and

2) You keep mentioning your 401k. Since I'm not sure how old you are, one thing to remember is it will probably be taxed and penalized up the wazoo.....just a thought.......................

(o:
NoelleR
The funny thing is, people have been rehired after this in the past. A guy works there now who was walked out for drinking. It was a while before I saw him again though. They may have let him go through a treatment program. A different company owns the place now and maybe that's why I wasn't given that option

The HR manager said she could only mention the dates, but maybe she left out the no rehire part. I asked her 2 or 3 times and she said the same thing. She claimed she wouldn't say anything to jeopardize me getting another job. Not that it'll be easy. Of course a future employer will frown on seeing a termination on the application and want to know the reason (unless I get really lucky). Hopefully I can use some suggestions here and he or she won't push it. If I lie and say I quit or got laid off and someone in the same industry goes to my new location and lets the cat out of the bag, I'll be out of another job.

They will tax the 401k to heck. I think taxes and the withdrawal penalty come to 30%. I should end up with over $10k though which I absolutely must have. That's not much in today's economy. I have to wait 2 weeks then request a check or deposit so I'm screwed on bills this month.

I know the stress would temporarily go away if I had a drink but I'm trying not to go there. Things would only be worse when it wears off.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Welcome Polar Blue,

It would be against the traditions of AA to tell an employer you go to AA meetings.

Hi. After many years sober in the program I feel this is misinformation.

Except at the level of radio, tv and press level I can if I want to tell anyone that I’m in AA. I won’t say if another person is in the program as it’s their anonymity I’d be violating.

BE WELL
Old 09-18-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

One thing you could try, if you think you might get a positive response that is, is to talk to the person(s) who fired you... maybe thank them for the wake-up call, tell them you understand completely, tell them you're working on sobriety, getting treatment, etc. .... and ask them if they could do you a favour on the "reasoning" on your employment record (not lie, but worded in a better way) so that it would help your chances of being hired down the road if/when they are ever called about your employment there ...... They might sympathize with your situation and help you out in that regard. You never know...... Best of wishes. I also agree: Sobriety plan/action first, new job second!

(And ... if you think they'd be open to doing that, I wonder if they might consider treating it as a layoff, if you asked nicely, etc., etc., so that you could at least qualify for unemployment while you work on sobriety..... just thinking out loud here... I once had an employer who I quit on, but asked them to call it a layoff - and they did.)
Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thatcat, this company is pretty strict. I talked to the manager on the phone 3 different times this week about various things and possible options, and it was like talking to a brick wall. I'm pretty sure everything is set in stone with them now. It would be nice, though.

A company that no longer offers treatment during these situations doesn't care about the employee. They just want to wash you away as quickly as possible and close the file. And that really surprises me since they're so short handed. So quick to get rid of people now and not hire them back. Even for minor violations.

That seems to be the nature of the workplace now. Getting more and more strict as far as policies go.