Notices

Fired from my job for being intoxicated

Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

many potential employers look at a prospects social media presence, so it would behoove you to clean up your book of faces page and keep it clean.

getting sober and staying sober are the two best things you can do for yourself right now. pursue sobriety with everything you've got. i think you are wasting a lot of mental energy on the minuteau of your firing....the bottom line IS you were DRUNK ON THE JOB. own that, accept it, and make that your turning point!!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
Do not tell any employer/potential employee. That is crazy-talk.

As a manager, and a (former/recovering) drunk, I can agree with the earlier poster- In a way, I am a total hypocrite, but it generally holds true. I would have a very hard time trusting a person like me (odd, right?) to never ever slip, and worse, possibly in front of a client/co-worker/MY boss. I may never ever slip, but I wouldn't trust that if I wasn't me, and even then, I don't know how much I could count on myself (let alone a stranger), lol.

As others have said, AA is not 'treatment'. It's support, which is different. I am finishing 7 weeks of IOP treatment myself, which then shifts into Non-intensive treatment after that for 13 weeks. Give that a hot maybe?

Bottom line, do something that YOU think will be helpful for YOU. This is YOUR problem, and YOUR sobriety- not mine.

Welcome, buddy- this is a good place, with good people.
You know, now that my mind is becoming more clear, something dawned on me.

I live in a relatively rural area. People know people. When the interviewer finds out where I worked, they're likely to know someone who works there. "Do you know so and so?" And that person will know why I was fired. When something like this happens it gets around the entire building within 24 hours.

It was like that when I applied for the job I was fired from. The guy was asking me if I knew all these people from my former place. I only knew one, but still. It's going to be pretty hard trying to brush this under the carpet during an interview, and lucking out and getting an interviewer who doesn't know anyone at my old place.

I have no choice but to give it a try soon. No, I'm not hopeful about it. I may have to end up moving away from here. I have no other skills so I can't do anything else that will pay nearly enough to cover these bills.

I'm pretty much screwed. All I can do now is try to stay sober, give it a try, and hope for a miracle.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by PolarBlue View Post
All I can do now is try to stay sober, give it a try, and hope for a miracle.
I think you need to discard/forget the balance of your reply above and concentrate 100% on this. All the rest is pure speculation on your part and completely behind your control. The best way to gain trust and respect of others is to live today as the person you really want to be. And for people like us (alcoholics) that starts by living sober. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find out that it doesn't take a miracle to achieve it either...just planning and action on your part.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
time to shine again

Hi Polar Blue,

I am so sorry for your situation; but, on the other hand, it might be the best thing that could have happened to you. I can sense a lot of panic about money and your house in your posts, and that is totally normal for someone who has just lost their job - for any reason.

But, the two most important and healthy things you can do for yourself right now are: (1) get and stay sober by any means that works for you -- I'm on day 9, and I cannot BELIEVE how much clearer I am thinking, how my anxiety level has dropped; I've even started to lose weight! -- and, (2) Do your very best to take ONE DAY AT A TIME!! I know this is an AA slogan, and I haven't been to AA as (ironically) I work with street people who are really and truly suffering from addictions beyond what most of us can begin to comprehend, and I daily see the future before my eyes if I don't stay away from the demon drink.

Taking your life one day at a time will keep the anxiety monster at bay, and will allow you to focus on what's important right now. If you have to sell your house, it's not the end of the world. There are lots more houses, one that you may like even better! Please don't let a material object throw you into a panic so that you don't get the help and support you need to realize how precious your life is - how precious a gift you are to the world.

Never forget that your entire world can change in the blink of an eye (for good). I will keep you in my prayers, Polar. Peace to you.