Notices

Really want to do it this time! (or do I????)

Old 09-14-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really want to do it this time! (or do I????)

No days sober..would love today to be day one...years of heavy drinking recently gotten out of hand...booze is beginning to take over. I'm drinking away money and time we don't have.. I know how much better everything will he without drinking..but then I'm terrified off what I'll actually do without it! Not out of bed yet and already battling with the thoughts of the bottle of red in my bag. Why cant I just throw the damn stuff away????
Old 09-14-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was terrified too. It is an illusion though. It is hard and I had to slowly rediscover my relationship with alcohol. However you get there, life without alcohol is amazing and I am only on Day 44! Take a look at various programs and see if any look appealing. This site is a huge place of support.

You absolutely can do this! You and your Family deserve this Jax! Stick with us here at SR if you slip and use us to help you! No one deserves the terminal and needless suffering that alcohol addiction assures. It is just sad to lose anyone from this. You can do this. Believe in yourself!

Much love and respect Man
Old 09-14-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you'd be here if you didn't want to stop Jax

Wanting to stop and stopping can be two different things tho.

It takes commitment and effort - and a willingness to feel discomfort for a while....but only for a while...it gets better

I understand you're scared, but look at the number of folks here who've done it...none of us would stay in recovery if we felt we lost out on the deal

It's a leap of faith, sure...but it's not really that much of a gamble

You can have the life you want - it's up to you when you want to start

D
Old 09-14-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm 8 days sober. I was terrified too. The thing that keeps me going is the consequences if I kept on going the way I was going could be a lot scarier.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Being terrified of what to do without drinking is normal. It is also long term thinking. Start with just today. It sounds cliche but one day at a time. You are on the cusp of making the best change in your life but it can be overwhelming. Keep it simple. I will not drink today. Tomorrow, tell yourself the same thing. And post here as often as you need to. I am on day 29 and the folks here are a huge part of that! You will always find support here.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to what can be among the best years of your life, if YOU let it be. There is no one that can get you sober; it’s a daily work in progress, one day at a time. Yes many aspects in the first couple of weeks will be difficult at times, accept it as millions have done it already.
Keep reading posts here and take the advice given by those that are sober. It helped me to remember that if I don’t pick up a drink I won’t have to try to get sober AGAIN.

BE WELL
Old 09-14-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What great words to hear today. After the first 2 replies I threw the wine down the sink(and spat out the sneaky swig I took!) so that's 4 sober hours I would not have had..(I'm a daytime drip-feed drinker and night-time binger) No one at all know how much I drink so this encouragement is new to me..it's very easy to lie to yourself and say one drink wont matter....thanks guys...
Old 09-14-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day 10. I have found that exercise is incredibly empowering. Also, you can't exercise effectively hungover so that helps keep me in check.

I also post on SR which has been a key tool. You will feel so much better off the booze.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Jax, you can do this absolutely, and you deserve it too, don't you think? None of us 'deserve' a drink now, it is just too much misery and we don't deserve that. Picture yourself a sober person. What are you like? What do you like to do? Think on those things, then start doing em. Onward!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jax!!

You can turn this around, alcohol doesn't have to be a part of your life anymore!!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Jax

D
Old 09-14-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Good job on pouring out that wine. Just don't get anymore.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just woken up...24 hours done!!! Genuinely did not think I could go that long! Waiting for withdrawal to kick in (was drinking 20 units+ per day) plus I suffer with anxiety so a rocky road ahead! Feel good right now though...and determined not to drink today....busy morning ahead getting kids up and ready..then work for me. No hangover..and no sneaking around today!!
Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rock on, Jax! Welcome and congrats on a strong start!!!